Best Decision/Unpopular Take...Don't Resign Allen Yet

Wizard

58 minutes ago, peterpan said:

.maybe I've been scorned by Fitz's contract, but I don't think 1 year of superstar ability is enough for a massive contract.  I think it needs to be.multiple years.  

And I agree, keep his cap hit low.  And win the superbowl 

He was actually good in 2019 ...

• Like (+1) 2

if you get the chance to lock up Allen now at a fair contract (6yr/$250 mil) you do it. 

the salary cap ramifications can easily be manipulated to low early year cap hits.

sure the team can slow play this and protect themselves from a long term injury.....buy why ruin/sour Josh's love for this team and community.

• Like (+1) 1

Mr. Wizard, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Wizard said:

I want Allen to get his Brinks truck payday, but not yet!

Yes...Allen outplayed his salary. And, yes, we love him and our future with him. And, yes, he's perfect for Buffalo.

The Bills used a lot of assets to get Allen. He signed a contract, and part of that contract was getting a great deal of having his salary controllable to a possible 5 years.

Pay Allen, but maximize his $6-$7 million salary now while we can for at least next year. With Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, and possibly Herbert, the Bills need every valuable player that they can resign, and balancing out of their offense with a RB and a tougher front 7. He also needs as good as if not a better offensive line than this year.

We have next year to make this team deeper, stronger, and more balanced.

The $30+ mil we would save keeping Allen on his current contract plus the cutting of fat of Brown, Butler, Jefferson, Addison, and other cuts/restructures, gives the Bills an additional $30+million to resign the right players from this year's team while also giving the Bills a run game and a potential game changer in the front 7.

Allen will get $35-$45 million per. He will get it in his 5th year if on a franchise tag. He will get it with another MVP season again, a Super Bowl win, or even a top 10 statistical season with a playoff run.

He will be 26. He will be paid.

Take advantage of this 1 year window. Take out the Chiefs with a more balanced and talented roster, win the Super Bowl, and then pay Josh whatever he wants.

This is a rare window It is even a rarer window with the uncertainty of the salary cap Even more rare with today's free agency world, and then we have 1 year where we have a top 3 QB in football making $30-$40 million less than the few comparable QB's in the league.

Pay him, but don't pay it all yet! 

I mean... Look at Mahomes extension.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/

They barely gave him new money (signing bonus was 10 million) but guaranteed almost 150.  Those roster bonuses all kick in a year early too.  

Watsons might be a more comparable simple example though.  2020 and 2021 have low cap hits, but he got a 27m check when he signed it. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

11 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

When they re-signed Tre White, he kept his 4th yr cap hit basically the same and his 5th year was similar to his 5th yr option number. 

I believe it’ll be similar with Josh. He’ll get re-signed and it’ll basically be an extension off the end of his 5th yr option. 

Its not an option. It has to be an extension by rule. There is virtually no impact to salary cap for 2021

14 hours ago, Wizard said:

I want Allen to get his Brinks truck payday, but not yet!

Yes...Allen outplayed his salary. And, yes, we love him and our future with him. And, yes, he's perfect for Buffalo.

The Bills used a lot of assets to get Allen. He signed a contract, and part of that contract was getting a great deal of having his salary controllable to a possible 5 years.

Pay Allen, but maximize his $6-$7 million salary now while we can for at least next year. With Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, and possibly Herbert, the Bills need every valuable player that they can resign, and balancing out of their offense with a RB and a tougher front 7. He also needs as good as if not a better offensive line than this year.

We have next year to make this team deeper, stronger, and more balanced.

The $30+ mil we would save keeping Allen on his current contract plus the cutting of fat of Brown, Butler, Jefferson, Addison, and other cuts/restructures, gives the Bills an additional $30+million to resign the right players from this year's team while also giving the Bills a run game and a potential game changer in the front 7.

Allen will get $35-$45 million per. He will get it in his 5th year if on a franchise tag. He will get it with another MVP season again, a Super Bowl win, or even a top 10 statistical season with a playoff run.

He will be 26. He will be paid.

Take advantage of this 1 year window. Take out the Chiefs with a more balanced and talented roster, win the Super Bowl, and then pay Josh whatever he wants.

This is a rare window It is even a rarer window with the uncertainty of the salary cap Even more rare with today's free agency world, and then we have 1 year where we have a top 3 QB in football making $30-$40 million less than the few comparable QB's in the league.

Pay him, but don't pay it all yet! 

First of all, all this shows is you have no earthly idea how contract extensions work.  Signing Allen to a contract extension would mean he still plays on the 4th year of his rookie contract in 2021 and the extension doesn't kick in until 2022 when the big money would hit.  However, they can minimize the cap hit by guaranteeing a lot of the money, giving him a big signing bonus and then moving his big cap hit years down the road to years 5 or 6+ like Mahomes deal is structured to let the cap keep going up(assuming no more COVID disruptions to fan attendance/gate revenue).

So the option is to sign Allen to a contract extension this offseason when we can hopefully get him for a little less than we would have once some of these other QBs have signed their deals, or exercises the 5th year option for 2022 and sign him to an extension in 2023, which would likely not be a wise business decision for the Bills seeing how the Chiefs didn't do that for Mahomes.

Either way, this has NO BEARING to the cap for next season in 2021.  So your entire discussion regarding that is moot.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Strange to hear both Steve Tasker and Chris Brown just say now is not the time to sign Allen due to the cap. Both seem to act like it's unlikely it happens this offseason. 

Thing is signing Josh this offseason shouldn't impact our cap next year. 

Surely the only reason not to have Allen sign a new contract is if there’s a fear he’ll go the same way as Wentz?