Best Decision/Unpopular Take...Don't Resign Allen Yet

Wizard

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

I want Allen to get his Brinks truck payday, but not yet!

Yes...Allen outplayed his salary. And, yes, we love him and our future with him. And, yes, he's perfect for Buffalo.

The Bills used a lot of assets to get Allen. He signed a contract, and part of that contract was getting a great deal of having his salary controllable to a possible 5 years.

Pay Allen, but maximize his $6-$7 million salary now while we can for at least next year. With Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, and possibly Herbert, the Bills need every valuable player that they can resign, and balancing out of their offense with a RB and a tougher front 7. He also needs as good as if not a better offensive line than this year.

We have next year to make this team deeper, stronger, and more balanced.

The $30+ mil we would save keeping Allen on his current contract plus the cutting of fat of Brown, Butler, Jefferson, Addison, and other cuts/restructures, gives the Bills an additional $30+million to resign the right players from this year's team while also giving the Bills a run game and a potential game changer in the front 7.

Allen will get $35-$45 million per. He will get it in his 5th year if on a franchise tag. He will get it with another MVP season again, a Super Bowl win, or even a top 10 statistical season with a playoff run.

He will be 26. He will be paid.

Take advantage of this 1 year window. Take out the Chiefs with a more balanced and talented roster, win the Super Bowl, and then pay Josh whatever he wants.

This is a rare window It is even a rarer window with the uncertainty of the salary cap Even more rare with today's free agency world, and then we have 1 year where we have a top 3 QB in football making $30-$40 million less than the few comparable QB's in the league.

Pay him, but don't pay it all yet! 

Obviously NOT a math Wizard!

11 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

They should lock him up as soon as they get the chance

The sooner it happens, the cheaper it is in the long term. I’m as sure as I can be that he’s the guy, so why wait? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wizard said:

The $30+ mil we would save keeping Allen on his current contract plus the cutting of fat of Brown, Butler, Jefferson, Addison, and other cuts/restructures, gives the Bills an additional $30+million to resign the right players from this year's team while also giving the Bills a run game and a potential game changer in the front 7.

No possible way they sign him to a contract that pays $30+ mill next year.

Saying we shouldn't do that is like advising me not to pick up a rhino in my left hand and three elephants in my right. I will follow that advice, but not because the suggestion was worth hearing.

It's not absolutely crucial to sign him this year. If it doesn't happen it wouldn't mean much if we then signed him during or after next season. But there's no particular reason we shouldn't work out a way now.

Any contract will be an extension. It will be added to the end of his current contract and the 5th year option. The cap implications won't hurt until those extension years, as far as I understand it. Allen's cap hit will still be low for the remainder of his current contract.

That's what I've heard, at least.

His contract will only get more expensive after this offseason. He's done nothing but improve since entering the league. No way you wait for the salary cap to go up and other QB deals to go through.

I also feel like Allen is the type where once he gets paid he'll play looser (in a good way) in big games because he won't be thinking about it.

Edited by HappyDays

Well, the gouging rate for QB’s will continue to go up, he will play this year even if extended on the rookie salary as would not kick in until 2022, and they could make it cap friendly in 2022 to free up funds to extend the guys they want to keep over the next three years.  A dream would be to mirror a 10 year deal like they did for Mahomes as barring injuries, we’re attached to Allen for another decade. Most players and agents don’t like that deal as in the last half of it lesser QB’s will be getting more, but Allen would have to push that to his agent. The risk on the team obviously is the injury risk vs. guaranteed $ loss due to a catastrophic injury.

I wouldn’t want to send that message to the best player on our team and the one that singlehandedly could kill this team if he is not performing well.  At the beginning of the year maybe as no one could possibly predict Allen would improve this much.  Even the most optimistic fan wouldn’t have predicted 15 wins, a championship appearance and in large part due to Allen throwing the team on his back.

9 hours ago, Wizard said:

I want Allen to get his Brinks truck payday, but not yet!

Yes...Allen outplayed his salary. And, yes, we love him and our future with him. And, yes, he's perfect for Buffalo.

The Bills used a lot of assets to get Allen. He signed a contract, and part of that contract was getting a great deal of having his salary controllable to a possible 5 years.

Pay Allen, but maximize his $6-$7 million salary now while we can for at least next year. With Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, and possibly Herbert, the Bills need every valuable player that they can resign, and balancing out of their offense with a RB and a tougher front 7. He also needs as good as if not a better offensive line than this year.

We have next year to make this team deeper, stronger, and more balanced.

Allen will get $35-$45 million per. He will get it in his 5th year if on a franchise tag. He will get it with another MVP season again, a Super Bowl win, or even a top 10 statistical season with a playoff run.

He will be 26. He will be paid.

Take advantage of this 1 year window. Take out the Chiefs with a more balanced and talented roster, win the Super Bowl, and then pay Josh whatever he wants.

This is a rare window It is even a rarer window with the uncertainty of the salary cap Even more rare with today's free agency world, and then we have 1 year where we have a top 3 QB in football making $30-$40 million less than the few comparable QB's in the league.

Pay him, but don't pay it all yet! 

Nope - absolutely the wrong take 100%.

Just like Tre, Mahomes, and scores of others you re-sign him now along with activating his 5th year option.  You give him big money up front, but it gets spread out over more years - therefore keeping his 4th year and 5th year option deals at a lower salary - just like Tre and Mahomes.  

This pushes his bigger salary out to 2023 after the new TV contract is signed and when the salary cap explodes and therefore you have the added money.

The timing is perfect to do it now - lock in the money - and defer the big cost until after the new TV deal is complete - win/win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Allen and reps will have to balance a current offer in the CAP constrained pandemic season of 2021 vs a potential  CAP recovery in future years.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  The is Bean territory, and he needs to get this one right once again.  In the end, Allen will be with the Bills a long time...and get a Mahones like deal.  I hope he i s happy in Buffalo, I keep remembering he is a SOCAL kid.  But, a rural SOCAL kid.

9 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

When they re-signed Tre White, he kept his 4th yr cap hit basically the same and his 5th year was similar to his 5th yr option number. 

I believe it’ll be similar with Josh. He’ll get re-signed and it’ll basically be an extension off the end of his 5th yr option. 

A lot of teams are doing that...check out Mahomees deal

We have a legit Franchise QB for the first time in 25 years. You re-sign that legit Franchise QB now before the market value increases even more. There is no need to stall. This is not a Ryan Fitzpatrick situation. Josh will be here for the next 10-15 years. He embodies everything that is Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills.