Rapaport: Patriots tried to trade for Diggs at same time as Buffalo

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Why even give NE* a chance to match the offer? If both were equal, would MIN have sent him to the Cheatriots?

I doubt it actually because the Bills had earlier picks. I suspect in reality the Pats had to beat the Bills offer.

14 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Why even give NE* a chance to match the offer? If both were equal, would MIN have sent him to the Cheatriots?

I don't think they cared where they sent him (except for maybe not an NFC team) and I doubt they were limiting it to one team so why not keep playing teams against each other to get the best haul?

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe. I don't think that necessarily implies there was an offer. I think it implies that they were the team Minnesota asked to match. They were the last call before they said yes to Buffalo.

So NE expresses "interest" but doesn't make an offer.  The Bills make their offer and then the Vikes present it just to Belicheat and say "can you match this?"?  Doesn't make any sense.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

So NE expresses "interest" but doesn't make an offer.  The Bills make their offer and then the Vikes present it just to Belicheat and say "can you match this?"?  Doesn't make any sense.

It doesn't say they only present to New England. Just that it came down to Buffalo and them at the end. I used to be a journalist. When you avoid saying "there was an offer on the table from New England" you do that for a reason. RapSheet phrased it very carefully. Maybe Belichick rang them early said "look I am really interested, don't trade him without calling us." 

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I don't. Too many "stories" there.  Brady versus the Bills.  Tampa first team to play a SB in their own stadium, giving them a true advantage. 

Absolutely agree. 

Tampa Bay would have entire period to stay at home, practice in facility they are familiar with and play in stadium which they know idiosyncrasies. 

Rooting for Green Bay anyways even with Tainted T*m, Gronk and his weapon and Antonio Brown for whom Buffalo was not good enough place to consider. 

Sources: Super Bowl teams not allowed in Tampa until 2 days before game

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30769839/sources-super-bowl-teams-not-allowed-tampa-2-days-game

Super Bowl teams always arrive in the city of the game one week in advance, but this season's participants are not allowed to arrive in Tampa, Florida, any earlier than the Friday before Super Bowl LV, league sources told ESPN.

If the Buffalo Bills and Green Bay Packers win their conference championship games Sunday, they have tentative plans to arrive in Tampa on Friday, Feb. 5, two days before the Super Bowl, according to sources.

If the Kansas City Chiefs advance to the Super Bowl, they do not plan to arrive in Tampa until the day before the Super Bowl, according to source.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

The story also said there were 2 final suitors.  There were probably 2 dozen teams (at least) who would have had interest in Diggs last year but that doesn't qualify them as "suitors."  And it's well-known that Brady was miffed at the Cheaters for the lack of weapons after taking less-than-market salary for a decade plus.  And then there was his decision to leave right after the trade fell through. 

Diggs may not have been enough to make Brady stay.  But not getting anyone worth ***** at the WR position definitely made Brady's decision a no-brainer.

For which year?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It doesn't say they only present to New England. Just that it came down to Buffalo and them at the end. I used to be a journalist. When you avoid saying "there was an offer on the table from New England" you do that for a reason. RapSheet phrased it very carefully. Maybe Belichick rang them early said "look I am really interested, don't trade him without calling us." 

And again, the "2 final suitors" covers that part and just makes saying they made an offer redundant.  There is no reasonable explanation why the Vikings would have limited it to just the Cheaters getting the last chance to match the Bills' seemingly only offer.  Again that could apply to any team in the league so why just them?  Meanwhile the Cheaters had the pick right after the Bills' 22nd overall and were a team in the AFC.

And ultimately, even if Belicheat hadn't made an offer, it was a mistake on his part.  It cost him a great WR, Brady and a chance to not tarnish his legacy with a dismal season.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

For which year?

Last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rapaport's story doesn't quite match the headline. He doesn't say New England ever made an offer. What he says is there was interest there and when the Bills made the offer and the Vikings were trying to create a bidding war they rang New England and offered them a chance to match. That isn't quite what you would infer from the headline. 

As for the Brady decision, maybe Diggs makes him reconsider.... my belief is he had already decided when he restructured his contract before the 2019 season to give himself the out that he was going to play the final couple of years of his career elsewhere. 

I do think Brady wanted New Ragland to improve at WR for him to stay.  At that point he announced, free agency surge was over and trades seemed over.

4 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

I do think Brady wanted New Ragland to improve at WR for him to stay.  At that point he announced, free agency surge was over and trades seemed over.

I think he did but I think he'd already decided it wasn't going to be enough to keep him by the day free agency opened. I think his head was out of England by the time that season ended. House had already sold remember. Maybe with Diggs he might have changed his mind but personally I am doubtful.

5 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Hope to see Bills vs Tampa Bay[ Brady] in Super Bowl.

Part of me wants this, but (1) hate the idea that Tampa would get a home game Super Bowl and (2) as much as it would be fun to ultimately beat Brady on the biggest stage, I'd just as soon close the door on him and cut our losses. 

Plus, Green Bay is just easier to root for

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He says "it was the Bills and New England Patriots as the two final suitors" which implies that NE made an offer.

The scuttlebut from many was that Brady wanted to separate from Belichick, was done with the hometown discounts, and wanted to play elsewhere.

Yea- even if not a formal offer it sounds like compensation was being discussed