A closer look at a couple of Ravens at Bills deep throws

The deep ball down the right, where Diggs has his man beaten, definitely gets taken by the wind. Somewhere in the broadcast in the UK, they showed it a couple of times, and you could see it get pushed by the wind towards the sideline, and probably helped further along as well.

I think on that one, in particular, you have to take that shot, even though it's difficult, because your guy is open, and it sends notice to the opposing D, that you aren't afraid to do it, which means they have to be somewhat more careful with their coverages, and possibly leave a bit more space underneath.

Without the wind, my gut feeling on that one, is that it would have been 'on the money'.

• Like (+1) 1

You throw a ball with an arc in that wind and there was almost no chance to control it.  Huntley to Brown was the same thing.

Also an interesting tweet was that Josh was 1-5 on his first 20+ yard throws, which was the most he missed all year.

Can't tell me wind wasn't a huge factor in the passing game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yeah I can see that now looking at your third image again as Allen is nowhere close to winding up yet. Looks like the bottom line is Allen threw the ball to Diggs way too late. The ball should be out a split second before the third image.  My guess may be that Allen was deadest on going to Diggs at the snap seeing the look the defense gave him. Didn't anticipate the safety getting over and even though the safety did he thought screw it I can get it there and just incase I'll put a bit extra on it to make sure only Diggs will be able to get there worst case scenario.  So in a way he put a little extra on it to make sure it definitely wasn't going to fall short where the safety could jump it. So I supposed it could be considered a semi  throw away with the hopes of still being able to make a play.

I also think that Josh saw the CB getting "grabby" with Diggs and threw the pass expecting to get a DPI flag if it was not complete. I was pretty upset at the time that interference was not called -- but in hindsight, the officials were consistent about keeping the flags in their pocket and not over-officiating the game.

8 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

I also think that Josh saw the CB getting "grabby" with Diggs and threw the pass expecting to get a DPI flag if it was not complete. I was pretty upset at the time that interference was not called -- but in hindsight, the officials were consistent about keeping the flags in their pocket and not over-officiating the game.

There was one 3rd down play where John Brown was totally held on the top of his break about 15 yards down field.  It was a horrendous no call. 

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I'm not sure if there is anything to learn based on trying to throw deep with the wind conditions...ball seemed like it carried a lot further than intended on any deep throws.

Yes completely taking away the threat (along with no flags thrown for holding or DPI).

The first deep throw to Diggs was a definite hold.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Gabriel Davis has to make that catch.  He's good, but not great (yet), and that's ok... but in fairness to the Duke Williams portion of the fanbase, we killed Duke for not making a somewhat tough TD catch in the Texans game last year.  Of course, that's where the comparison ends... Davis has a bright future and has played really well as rookie WR.

The FG was fine given how the Ravens game played out, but we need TD's against KC.  

All three of our receivers (Diggs, Brown and Davis) have made full on drops in the two playoff games. but its only Duke that ever got hell for his play! Out of the three drops the Davis one was the most difficult but still nowhere near the catch that Duke was meant to make against Houston last year. I actually think that the last gasp pass in the end zone by the Ravens on 4th down Saturday was more near the difficulty level of the Duke Houston play and the Ravens TE (who is pretty good) couldn't bring it in.  The criticism against Duke for supposedly dropping an easy pass that lost us the game vs the Texans is beyond stupid. 

Davis has been really good and I agree , the future is bright!

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Actually I thought the refs shifted.  The Roughing the Passer call didn't take much and signaled a no roughing kind of game.  Then they switched to allowing downfield mugging.

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Ah, maybe this is the one i saw sail towards the sideline. It appeared to do it towards the very end.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but following the subsequent play (I believe), Josh was talking to Diggs and making hand gestures that looked like he was trying to indicate that the ball was pushed/caught by the wind. I'll try to find a screenshot.

screenshot_20210118-155602-3.png

Edited by NickelCity