Need help/advice from any gamers here

Steptide

Let me start by saying that I am not a gamer. I enjoy a few games on my phone, but that's the extent. My last gaming console that I used frequently was my play station 2, so that'll tell you how out of the loop I am when it comes to modern gaming 

Anyways, the other day I came across a video on YouTube about how to use steam link on a Samsung tv with your steam link on your computer. This was just a random video I came across, but after watching it, it made me curious. So I downloaded both on my computer and TV and came across all these old games that you can purchase for like $2 and I can play on my TV. 

So, what do I need to know (if anything)? I don't even have a controller to play games (that'd be my next step) but seeing alot of old games I played as a kid got me kind of excited, and playing on my TV would be even more fun. Any help or advice is appreciated 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Let me start by saying that I am not a gamer. I enjoy a few games on my phone, but that's the extent. My last gaming console that I used frequently was my play station 2, so that'll tell you how out of the loop I am when it comes to modern gaming 

Anyways, the other day I came across a video on YouTube about how to use steam link on a Samsung tv with your steam link on your computer. This was just a random video I came across, but after watching it, it made me curious. So I downloaded both on my computer and TV and came across all these old games that you can purchase for like $2 and I can play on my TV. 

So, what do I need to know (if anything)? I don't even have a controller to play games (that'd be my next step) but seeing alot of old games I played as a kid got me kind of excited, and playing on my TV would be even more fun. Any help or advice is appreciated 

I don't know much either but I heard that Chick Fil A just came out with a new platform.  Weird.

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

There are some pretty knowledgable computer gamers around here and I think someone will give you a good answer.

I don't know what it is myself! 

My boys have steam on our computer and although I don't have it on the tv they play games mostly with the keyboard. I asked about controllers and they said you can get an xbox controller to work and most controllers with a usb port. I have played a game or two and it seems good. I do know that my last computer had integrated graphics (no graphics card) and one of the games my sons wanted required a decent card so I just replaced the computer a little earlier than I normally would have.

I would say just go for it, the nice thing is you don't have to sink hundreds of dollars into a console so if all you're looking for is some older games to reminisce it seems like a good deal to me.

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2020 at 11:42 AM, Steptide said:

I am in the same boat as you (also with a PS2, which I stopped playing after my kids were born). The only game I play is on My phone— Golf King (which is pretty awesome).

I was looking at this Steam. It seems like most of the games still cost

$20. what games are you saying cost $2? Like PAC Man and similar 80s games? 

OK, so this is what you need to know.

You need to download an emulator to run on your computer... for Nintendo, try NESticle. Once you install the emulator, you need to have a different folder to save all of your games on, which are called ROMs. Be sure you save the games in different folders for different emulators. 

Why pay for Steam when you can play all of those classic games for free? You can configure USB controllers to play the games through the emulator.

https://www.emulator-zone.com/

NEStopia guide (another emulator)

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.