The other Bills Coordinator....

GunnerBill

Don't look now but the Bills defense has entered the top 10 in the NFL after last night. The Bills now rank in their highest spot since week 1 in the official NFL defensive stat of yards given up and are 14th in points against. 

If they choose to play the 2nd string against Miami next week those rankings could change of course but some credit is due to Leslie Frazier. His calm demeanour, his experience in this league and his ability not to panic and to make changes as the season has gone have turned this unit around. 

Daboll is the head coaching candidate and the hot name and he deserves credit too, but do not forget to give Leslie his. The way they have got the defense back on track with adjustments in season has been one hell of a coaching job. I am sure McDermott has had a hand in it too but he said himself last week "this is Leslie's defense" and it has come alive down the stretch here. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Maybe he's got past failing as a HC against him and like the Chiefs OC he suffers from being in the orbit of a HC known for having a focus on that side of the ball.

But I'm also less worried about what happens if we lose him.

I don't think Frazier will be a Head Coach again. But he has still done an awesome job this year that deserves credit.

• Like (+1) 3

I thought this topic was going to be about our Special Teams coordinator who seems to have been forgotten amid the Offensive explosion and defensive resurgence.   ST has been improving game by game and is playing at a peak level of confidence.  They are even doing short kicks to dare KRs to return the ball.   Today's  trick play was amazing and kudos to the ST coach for the perfect plan and execution.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I thought this topic was going to be about our Special Teams coordinator who seems to have been forgotten amid the Offensive explosion and defensive resurgence.   ST has been improving game by game and is playing at a peak level of confidence.  They are even doing short kicks to dare KRs to return the ball.   Today's  trick play was amazing and kudos to the ST coach for the perfect plan and execution.  

That's a good point ST has been great this year.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Don't look now but the Bills defense has entered the top 10 in the NFL after last night. The Bills now rank in their highest spot since week 1 in the official NFL defensive stat of yards given up and are 14th in points against. 

If they choose to play the 2nd string against Miami next week those rankings could change of course but some credit is due to Leslie Frazier. His calm demeanour, his experience in this league and his ability not to panic and to make changes as the season has gone have turned this unit around. 

Daboll is the head coaching candidate and the hot name and he deserves credit too, but do not forget to give Leslie his. The way they have got the defense back on track with adjustments in season has been one hell of a coaching job. I am sure McDermott has had a hand in it too but he said himself last week "this is Leslie's defense" and it has come alive down the stretch here. 

Yup, agreed.

I still worry a bit about being run on, but the way we're scoring nobody can run much past about halfway through the 2nd quarter.

They've pulled it together brilliantly and it reflects extremely well on Frazier.

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, agreed.

I still worry a bit about being run on, but the way we're scoring nobody can run much past about halfway through the 2nd quarter.

They've pulled it together brilliantly and it reflects extremely well on Frazier.

Sounds suspiciously like "complimentary football" 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, agreed.

You should be.  This run defense is going to be an enormous problem in the playoffs.  Teams are going to run to keep our offense off the field and I don't think our defense is up to the task.  I think Frazier and McDermott have done ok, but this defense is nothing to be proud of. 

Does anyone really think the Bills defense is going to stop the run against a team like the Titans, Ravens, or Browns? The offense is going to have to show up big time or this team is going to have a real problem.  Hopefully we get the Dolphins/Colts, Steelers, Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BITE ME said:

So he is to blame for the fact they can't stop the run. This defense is not good.  I am amazed people can't see that. 

I wouldn’t blame McDermott, he’s working with what he’s got 

and this defense has improved drastically. Yes we still need to work on the run defense but Beane needs to get better guys in here next offseason on the dline 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

10th in yards and 14th in points = "not good". 

Glad we have your expertise to guide us.

Nope. Stats are misleading when your offense is putting bad teams in positions where they have to throw.  This run defense is awful.  When you play elite teams like the Chiefs, Titans, or Ravens you get exposed.  We saw it twice this year against the Titans and Chiefs.  They can't stop the run.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

from what I saw Frazier’s name was put out there by the Pegulas.  

I hope for at least a year that they deny any interviews for Daboll. (If that’s possible)

Just now, BITE ME said:

Nope. Stats are misleading when your offense is putting bad teams in positions where they have to throw.  This run defense is awful.  When you play elite teams like the Chiefs, Titans, or Ravens you get exposed.  We saw it twice this year against the Titans and Chiefs.  They can't stop the run.

Their run defense is below average. Luckily this is the NFL in 2020 and run defense does not have a great correlation to wins. The 2019 Superbowl champions were 26th against the run.

But regardless both last night and against the 49ers both of whom wanted to run it the Bills took a series to figure out what they were doing and then all but shut it down.

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

from what I saw Frazier’s name was put out there by the Pegulas.  

I hope for at least a year that they deny any interviews for Daboll. (If that’s possible)

It is not possible. You can't block Head Coach interviews.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

We've given up a whopping 7 more rushing yards than the Titans this season and 25 more than the Chiefs for what it's worth. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Their run defense is below average. Luckily this is the NFL in 2020 and run defense does not have a great correlation to wins. The 2019 Superbowl champions were 26th against the run.

But regardless both last night and against the 49ers both of whom wanted to run it the Bills took a series to figure out what they were doing and then all but shut it down.

I just see 1990 all over again.  NY Giants ran the ball down the Bill throats.  Offense could not get on the field. We will see. In an ideal world we avoid the Titans and Ravens, and even the Browns.

25 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We've given up a whopping 7 more rushing yards than the Titans this season and 25 more than the Chiefs for what it's worth. 

We are giving up 4.7 yards per carry. Only the Broncos and Bengals are worse.  And stats are less reliable than the eyes sometimes.  I know what I see. We can't stop the run.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

I just see 1990 all over again.  NY Giants ran the ball down the Bill throats.  Offense could not get on the field. We will see. In an ideal world we avoid the Titans and Ravens, and even the Browns.

So I agree they are the worst match ups for the Bills (although actually less so the Ravens because they are a running team but their run game is a bit more multiple which I think we match up better against, when we have struggled against the run it has been more smash you right up the gut style that Tennessee and Cleveland use). 

But it isn't 1990 anymore. The Giants DBs mugging the Bills receivers can't happen anymore. Even if Tennessee or Cleveland can run it on us for 150 yards their secondaries have to cover Stefon Diggs. I am not sure anyone can run it on the Bills well enough to not have to throw it at some point. And that has been the model that has helped the D turn the corner.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think the early season concern over the defense, while warranted at the time, was overblown in hindsight.

Half the D line was new, they’d lost the two biggest defensive leaders to retirement in back to back seasons, both the starting linebackers were hurt (and the backups were banged up, too), and something was clearly up with tre early in the season.

guys got healthy, the dline started figuring it out, and Jerry Hughes became a leader along with Jordan Poyer. They look far more like themselves, and in some respects maybe even better...they finally have a complimentary offense that can force teams to be more one-dimensional 

Frazier and McD really have improved the defense and deserve all the accolades they are getting. The one major improvement that we've seen in the last few games is an ability to adjust on the fly. The defensive coaches have finally figured out how to adjust to what they are seeing in game. Last night was an awesome display by the defense and especially impressive considering that Newton's (and the Pats only) TD came directly as a result of the refs missing a flagrant hold on Mario Addison that allowed Newton to escape. Just have to figure out a way to defeat Mahomes!