Changed my mind - Bring back Milano and let Edmunds walk

36 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

During that same time White and Wallace came back from injury, Klein was named Defensive Player of the week and played at least three really good games, they benched Murphy, the DT play improved, and Milano has been playing steadily more snaps.  I don't doubt a healthy Edmunds has been part of the improvement but he is hardly the sole reason and more likely a very minor reason.  

Yeah there was a lot changing.   He looked more physical after the bye but he still wasn't really making any big plays at MLB.    Then we actually got a glimpse of Edmunds being used at the LOS on the edge against SF........and it looked promising.     As @Simon mentioned they seemed determined in this NE game to use Edmunds more like they had early in the season and it brought back flashes of the worst in his play.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Cherry picking a few stats from a few games out of a season does not a compelling argument make.

I literally gave you a season worth of extensive pass defense stats and it's not like the stats you gave me as a defense were even signs of exemplary play.

His best stretch of pass defense this year is worse than his entire season performance last year.

But, OK.......... in those games where he had better ratings what plays did he make?   Pass breakups?   Interceptions?   Forced fumbles?   TFL's?  

Take a look at those type of plays in his stat line.........you will find that he's actually regressed steadily in those statistics since his rookie year.    

No, the funny thing is I didn’t cherry pick any stats from any games. I separated his first 5 weeks (where he was hurt) from the remaining 9 games where he’s been healthy. That’s not cherry picked... that’s a legitimate line of demarcation. 

I gave you the exact stats that you gave me... I just separated them pre and post injury. If that’s cherry picked because injuries aren’t legitimate deterrents of performance then I guess I’m wrong. 

Yes, it’s discouraging he hasn’t improved this year... but his best stretch this year is a little different from last year seeing that the level of competition is significantly different. I guess that doesn’t matter either? 

I’m not arguing that he leaves impact plays on the field, I’m not arguing his stats are different than years past. I legitimately said that in my last post. I’m not invalidating your argument, a lot of it is right. I’m talking about your inability to admit that you are wrong, or at least acknowledge when you’ve provided misleading information in the context that you display it. 

Much like I said you would, you ignored that and tried to do that thing where you’re so much smarter than I am and you need to make me feel inferior. 

You are much smarter than I am, as well as 99.9% of members on this board. When you’re wrong, just acknowledge it. 

I’m done discussing it, you’ll never change because that’s just who you are. I have a lot of respect for your knowledge, I just have a hard time sifting through all the holier than thou stuff. 

I wanted the Bills to draft Edmunds. So far his play has been terrible. The NE TD drive was play after embarrassing play by Edmunds.  He could turn his career around, but I would have no interest in paying him before he shows a lot of improvement. Unfortunately, there are only 5 games left to evaluate before the 5th year option decision (hopefully). The option will be around $13mil. At this point I might look to trade him while his perceived value is high as a two time pro bowler. But I would only do that with a replacement plan. Otherwise, decline the option and hope he has a good 4th year.

The decision re Edmunds is the second critical test facing this regime. The first one was which QB to draft and they picked well.  Now they have to pay that QB and the margin for error goes way down because you need to maximize a more limited set of resources to account for Allen’s soon to be increasing cap number.  

Edmunds is such a tough case because the coaches love him, he’s homegrown, and he shows some flashes.  I suspect they keep waiting for and expecting him to turn a corner, for the light to go on once and for all.  They’re not gonna want to give up on him.  And Allen’s development will get them leaning toward patience and doubling down on their initial evaluations.  They are going to have a really, really hard time not paying him. They need to get this right and it’s a tough one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/1/2021 at 12:20 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Never said cut Edmunds.

I said I changed my mind and they should bring back Milano. They can let Edmunds walk after year 4 or if the pick up option year 5. That assumes he doesn't get any better.

And he has not come along at all. He is playing as poorly as he did at the beginning of the year just not as bad as the first few games after the injury. 

lol. Say what?

Changed my mind - Bring back Milano and let Edmunds walk

The thread title says just that 

Let him walk is akin to cutting him. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

On 1/2/2021 at 5:58 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

We have eyes and brains too.  We may not know the calls but we can watch the plays and analyze replays/film.  The same coach that loves Edmunds at MLB started Nathan Peterman more than once.  

This is how we lose a thread.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:03 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

The decision re Edmunds is the second critical test facing this regime. The first one was which QB to draft and they picked well.  Now they have to pay that QB and the margin for error goes way down because you need to maximize a more limited set of resources to account for Allen’s soon to be increasing cap number.  

Edmunds is such a tough case because the coaches love him, he’s homegrown, and he shows some flashes.  I suspect they keep waiting for and expecting him to turn a corner, for the light to go on once and for all.  They’re not gonna want to give up on him.  And Allen’s development will get them leaning toward patience and doubling down on their initial evaluations.  They are going to have a really, really hard time not paying him. They need to get this right and it’s a tough one.

Worry not. The Bills will draft Zaven Collins to pair with Edmunds then you will see his true form. I like Milano, but he can’t handle when linemen get to the second level.

Edmunds is 23. Still so young and I love his drive and commitment. I think he will continue to grow into an outstanding defensive force. He had a shoulder injury the first half of the season that affected his play and I can't imagine it being easy to drive into blockers and ball carriers with a painful shoulder. People give up on guys way too soon IMO. He's got all the size and tools to be a long term special player for us!

I’ve spoken positively about Milano and how undervalued he is by many here, but the bottom line is the only thing we have to do in 2021 is decide whether to sign Milano, how to do it, whether to do it, and for how long.  Edmunds isn’t anything to even worry about for two years.  That assumes we sign Allen and use the 5th on Edmunds.

The Mgmt and ownership may ask Allen to take the 5th year as it’s a COVID year and sign Edmunds after next year.  Allen could have self interests as he will get paid.  Now the cap guys on the board can enlighten, but 5th year options are determined by draft position (an example is the Bears declined Trubiskys 5th yr., but it would have been $23.8 mil. and he was drafted 2nd). Allen was drafted 7th and I believe available cap is part of the equation as well, so Allen would be taking less, because he would push the following year for a multi year $40 mil. With probably a lot in up front bonuses.

Thats why this discussion on Edmunds, Milano, Allen, and so on has so many moving parts it’s just not easy to ascertain what Beane and the Pegulas will do.  My guess is they will try whatever they can to keep all of them.