Bills-49ers Defensive Snap Counts are up. Make what you will of 'em.

11 hours ago, Iverwig said:

Yeah, the CB opposite the top corner will get targeted a lot more. He has had moments where he’s looked good but some moments where he’s been toasted bad. 

In that Dane, has looked the part, it’s frustrating that he is not being used, at least as a rotational guy, oh well...

Go Bills!!!

10 minutes ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

Levi Wallace is a solid #2 cb

Taron Johnson is who needs to get replaced in the secondary. He has been less awful the second half of the season but still is a liability in coverage 

In merging two ideas, I’d like to see Dane Jackson replacing Taron Johnson. He’s a liability on the defense, that gets exploited on 3rd and long all season. I understand that his value is in run defense, but he looks slow and lost at times there too. 

He’s not a bad player, and by no means would I like to see him off the team. But perhaps two years of film has allowed teams to see what his weaknesses are. That’s not going to be helpful in the playoffs. 

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On defense (click to embiggen).  Order  is 1st 2 col offense, col 3,4 defense, col 5,6 ST

image.png.4fd5239a9c7ea167181478cdd4dd4f54.png

Kinda looks like Klein losing snaps to MILANOOOOOOO and Zimmer losing snaps to Harry, who was up 5% from 25% to 30% of the snaps

Oliver and Butler still look like the go-to DT pairing

Surprised that Darryl Johnson took so many snaps at end

I think the snaps breakdown along with the Baldy’s breakdown of how the Bills shifted the D to attack SF rushing attack goes a long way to explain these numbers. 

Baldy noted that the Bills shifted to essentially a 5 man line (3 guys inside to clog the middle) and 2 guys outside (Hughes&Addison - Edmunds).  This covered the gaps in the offense and allowed Klein/Edmunds to fill any cutback lanes that might develop. It also essentially created two OLB type positions where Hughes or Edmunds could drop off into coverage if it was a pass and still allow 4 guys to rush.

I think that style gave options for DJ and AJ Epenesa outside until the Bills made the 49ers one dimensional and they could slide back into a more traditional defense - allowing them to rush.  We saw on one outside run - the speed and power of DJ getting a big TFL by blowing up the O-Line.

The Bills staff did a great job of making adjustments throughout the game and yet still staying true to their Nickel package.  There were still a few holes as sometimes the backside fill guys were a step to late to fill giving additional yards to the RB, but overall they did a nice job of locking it down.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Thank you (+1) 2

What a waste of roster spots, not one of these guys played even one offensive snap!!  They are all lazy!  Where's Chuck Bednarik when you need him?

So I assume the ST snaps played by many of these guys is on punt returns as most of the times they are in a regular base defensive set, the one exception being Roberts replaced T Johnson.  Edmunds, Klein, and Hyde must have been on the field for that last on sides kick attempt too as that gave their number a slight bump.  D Johnson is the one regular ST player though wonder if his numbers will drop off if he starts playing more regularly or maybe he'll become the next Lorax.

25 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think the snaps breakdown along with the Baldy’s breakdown of how the Bills shifted the D to attack SF rushing attack goes a long way to explain these numbers. 

Baldy noted that the Bills shifted to essentially a 5 man line (3 guys inside to clog the middle) and 2 guys outside (Hughes&Addison - Edmunds).  This covered the gaps in the offense and allowed Klein/Edmunds to fill any cutback lanes that might develop. It also essentially created two OLB type positions where Hughes or Edmunds could drop off into coverage if it was a pass and still allow 4 guys to rush.

I think that style gave options for DJ and AJ Epenesa outside until the Bills made the 49ers one dimensional and they could slide back into a more traditional offense - allowing them to rush.  We saw on one outside run - the speed and power of DJ getting a big TFL by blowing up the O-Line.

The Bills staff did a great job of making adjustments throughout the game and yet still staying true to their Nickel package.  There were still a few holes as sometimes the backside fill guys were a step to late to fill giving additional yards to the RB, but overall they did a nice job of locking it down.

These?  Got more?

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

These?  Got more?

Those are the 2 from Baldy that I saw - both had already been posted in another thread.  He has a couple on offense too I believe.  I really like his quick breakdowns and straight forward approach.

Edited by Rochesterfan

12 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

I know he gets beat a bit. But he’s opposite an all pro so he’s gonna get all the action. He was in the neighborhood on most plays. Was really close to deflecting a few others. D line pressure was ok but not great. Wallace is the starter and with the possible exception of the rookie Jackson I think he’s our two cb. 

Next season, Jackson could be a real threat to Wallace for CB2.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Really liked what I saw of Dane Jackson this year.  I'm not familiar with reserve rules this year.  Is he seriously hurt and on IR?  If not, can some other team pluck him from our reserve list?  Thanks for the help.

Hi @st pete gogolak.  Good questions.  Because Dane Jackson is on the practice squad, the Bills aren't required to make injury reports about him and if it ain't required, ain't happening under McD.   So we only have reports on him if reporters are able to attend practice (only when it's outside) and comment.

Another team can offer to sign him to their active roster off our practice squad.  This happens less this year because they have to wait for 5 days of covid testing before a guy can enter the new team's facility, but it could happen.  If another team makes Jackson an offer, there are 3 options:

1) he tells the Bills, and they counter by signing him to their 53 man

2) he says "No thanks, I'm good!" (This has happened with PS players before.  In the past teams could offer their squad members more $$; I think that's not allowed this year)

3) he signs with the new team, who must then count him against their 53 man roster for 3 games even if they cut him immediately

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Maybe he's getting back into form finally.

Frazier acknowledged that there was a number of games he was still “returning to form.”

Said Patriots game he started to look like his old self.  

3 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

In merging two ideas, I’d like to see Dane Jackson replacing Taron Johnson. He’s a liability on the defense, that gets exploited on 3rd and long all season. I understand that his value is in run defense, but he looks slow and lost at times there too. 

He’s not a bad player, and by no means would I like to see him off the team. But perhaps two years of film has allowed teams to see what his weaknesses are. That’s not going to be helpful in the playoffs. 

Taron plays a tough spot, expected to support the run, and cover everything from tight-ends to WR lined up in the slot. It’s almost a hybrid safety/corner skill set. 

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hi @st pete gogolak.  Good questions.  Because Dane Jackson is on the practice squad, the Bills aren't required to make injury reports about him and if it ain't required, ain't happening under McD.   So we only have reports on him if reporters are able to attend practice (only when it's outside) and comment.

Another team can offer to sign him to their active roster off our practice squad.  This happens less this year because they have to wait for 5 days of covid testing before a guy can enter the new team's facility, but it could happen.  If another team makes Jackson an offer, there are 3 options:

1) he tells the Bills, and they counter by signing him to their 53 man

2) he says "No thanks, I'm good!" (This has happened with PS players before.  In the past teams could offer their squad members more $$; I think that's not allowed this year)

3) he signs with the new team, who must then count him against their 53 man roster for 3 games even if they cut him immediately

Thanks! Really would like to see him competing for starting job next year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

These?  Got more?

Basically two plays depicting the Bills doing things that I've been advocating for:

1) Edmunds used as an edge player........being a hammer at the point of attack would suit Edmunds better.

2) Having a 1 tech who doesn't just stand up and dance with the blocker(s) at the LOS and then watch the RB run past and hope that the LB makes the tackle........Oliver actually does the basic job AND then splits the double to make a tackle.   Not since the early 2017 Cover 1 clips of Dareus have we had an iso of a 1 tech doing that in McD's defense.   You can't expect Oliver to give you 25-30 snaps at that intensity level but 10-20 of those and the rest at 3T is doable because of the rotation.      

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I thought Butler played quite well last night

For the first time this year I really thought he played with force and impact. He was really good against a decent 49ers O-line. If he steps up and finishes the year strong that could be the boost the defense needs.

• Like (+1) 1