If you worked a four day week…

SDS

Work week  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming you had off Saturday and Sunday, which day would be your third day off?

• Mon
    • Tue
    • Wed
    • Thu
    • Fri

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm 20 plus years before I retire yet that idea of retiring after acquiring more vacation makes sense since the company would have to pay me out makes since as it be 1000 hours worth of pay. 

Only 448 for me.  208/year earned.  240 on books.  If I deploy, they wave the 240 limit... But when you come back Stateside, as you burn, that limit drops (down eventually to 240).

Yup.  I don't understand the kids that "burn it as fast as they earn it." You get raises,  so hourly it's worth more on the books as your pay goes up. Well, I guess how you value your time... 

They've already accounted the leave.  It's just the carry and differences in raise they budget every year. It's all solvent. Well I hope. 😏 

Sick leave is unlimited, but that's always flat 4 hours every two weeks no matter how much time in.  That only goes against years of service, no cash at retirement.   But... A nice insurance policy to save it up against catastrophic illness. 

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Friday is my first choice. Have done this in the past and it worked very well.

I could see going with Monday as well. Ease back into the week, not have to worry about football hangovers (and much easier to travel for the games).

I had tried mid-week days as well, but they were just momentum killers, and I found I was still working and answering emails on my day off. Much easier to draw that line and disconnect when it simply extends the weekend.

My younger days: friday.  Thursday nights were great to go out drinking.

These days: monday.  It is easier to play catch up on Tuesday and run the backlog through the week.  And fewer people take Mondays off, so beach days or grocery runs, etc. would be less crowded.

The only downside to mondays is that's when most of the holidays fall, so if I'd be missing days off because of monday holidays, then I'd need to re-think that.

Looking at the results so far, anyone who voted for Wednesday, should actually choose Tuesday or Thursday.  Looks like those are days that nobody takes off. Talk about quiet time.

Edited by snafu

I always prefer Mondays off. It’s much more enjoyable knowing I can sleep in when everyone is dragging themselves into work wondering how the weekend went so fast. Plus extra time to recover if I overdo the sports and eating on Sunday. I’d much rather work on Fridays, with the anticipation that the weekend will soon be starting.

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Back in one of my first management jobs I had an employee on my team who had been with the company for almost 20 years, and therefore had something like 6 weeks (30 days) PTO every year.

It was a real eye-opening game changer when he submitted his request to schedule off every Friday between Memorial Day and Labor Day. It's 15 days. Gave him a long weekend all summer to be with his family and plan trips, and he still had 2 weeks of PTO left over for the rest of the year.

I was a young buck and up until then it had never crossed my mind to do something like that with PTO. We had the coverage so I happily approved it. Really an ingenious move, imo.

We were visiting Minneapolis one time during the summer. Actually a great city.....in the summer. (That winter Super Bowl made it much less enjoyable, for a variety of reasons.)  We went out to dinner on a Thursday night and all the places we wanted most were PACKED! It was almost a 2 hour wait for our first choice. We went out strangely early on Friday night hoping to get a table. It was like a ghost town! Walk into any place you want, even at “peak hours”, and get seated immediately. 

We asked the server what was going on, where is everybody on a Friday night. He said all summer long people head to their lake houses for long weekends. Every week! Come winter, what else is there to do but work? More people enjoy the lake in the summer than like to stand on frozen ice while fishing or breaking out the snowmobile. 

I voted Friday, with Monday being a close second. I like a long weekend to be able to get away when you want to.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Only 448 for me.  208/year earned.  240 on books.  If I deploy, they wave the 240 limit... But when you come back Stateside, as you burn, that limit drops (down eventually to 240).

Yup.  I don't understand the kids that "burn it as fast as they earn it." You get raises,  so hourly it's worth more on the books as your pay goes up. Well, I guess how you value your time... 

They've already accounted the leave.  It's just the carry and differences in raise they budget every year. It's all solvent. Well I hope. 😏 

Sick leave is unlimited, but that's always flat 4 hours every two weeks no matter how much time in.  That only goes against years of service, no cash at retirement.   But... A nice insurance policy to save it up against catastrophic illness. 

I've got over 400 hours of sick time saved up we can only carry over 525 a year. We earn 4 hours every 2 full weeks worked.  I use it for doctor visits etc but carry over a good amount of time as you said a casastrophic illness.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I've got over 400 hours of sick time saved up we can only carry over 525 a year. We earn 4 hours every 2 full weeks worked.  I use it for doctor visits etc but carry over a good amount of time as you said a casastrophic illness.

Strange that they would cap sick leave.  They must pay cash at retirement?  My sick leave can't get cashed out, just applied towards years of service.   I have something like 2,200 hours sick leave.  A working year is 2,080 hours.   Can use it for bereavement, family illness and take family to doctor,  etc... But, God forbid if something big happens, I got a year to decide what to do. 

They do have leave donation programs for people who get sick and don't have any... Or used their's up.  BUT you can't donate sick leave, just your annual vacation leave.  I guess that makes sense?  

At my old job, I had to work every third Saturday. On the weeks that you had to work Saturday, you got the previous Monday off, thus still making it a 5-day work week (Tues-Sat instead of Mon-Fri). 

I miss those 3 day weekends with Mondays off. Mondays suck. Tuesdays suck less. Starting the work week on a Tuesday was way better. It sounds weird but during football season especially, I loved it more. I really dig getting more Bills on the Monday morning after a game. It's nice to be able to be home with not much else going on and have WGR on the radio and being able to digest more Bills football.

Edited by CLTbills

Worked a consulting job once where we worked 4 days.  It was 4 long days but it was great to have a long weekend after being away from home.  Most clients were flexible on Monday or Friday off so I was able to work around home schedules.  It hurt when I went back into industry and had to work a 5 day week.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.