Trump 2024?

Tiberius

OK, go ahead, defend this new special piece of idiocy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/08/22/trump-trade-tariffs/

I've seen conservative lawyer John Hinderaker's comments posted here about other matters, arguing against the various prosecutions of Trump, etc.

Here's what he has to say about this:

I don’t suppose many people care, but Donald Trump’s latest venture into trade policy is idiotic. Trump’s tariff plan is so dumb that for once, the Washington Post is actually right: “Trump vows massive new tariffs if elected, risking global economic war.” Putting WaPo in the right isn’t easy, but Trump managed to accomplish it:

Among the ideas [Trump and his advisers] discussed was Trump’s plan to enact a “universal baseline tariff” on virtually all imports to the United States, the people said. This idea, which Trump has taken to describing as the creation of a “ring around the U.S. economy,” could represent a massive escalation of global economic chaos, surpassing the international trade discord that marked much of his first administration. Trump advisers have for months discussed various potential levels to set the tariff rate, and they said the plan remains a work in progress with major questions left unresolved, the people said.

But that didn’t stop the politician from breaking some news:

On Fox Business on Thursday, the former president called for setting this tariff at 10 percent “automatically” for all countries, a move that experts warn could lead to higher prices for consumers throughout the economy and could likely lead to a global trade war.

This is a Worldwide Depression Act.

And he's running on it.

And they say Biden has lost it.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Elections Are Bad for Democracy....

:lol:

Commies say what?

Yea I’m convinced it’s all over.  

Only pockets of America exist and stand in the way of us becoming a full fledged version of North Korea.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Elections Are Bad for Democracy....

:lol:

Commies say what?

Literally, the more people that vote the worse it is for Republicans this is statistically true

Why in the world with Democrats not want elections

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yea I’m convinced it’s all over.  

Only pockets of America exist and stand in the way of us becoming a full fledged version of North Korea.  

That sounds like some crybaby ***** to me

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

OK, go ahead, defend this new special piece of idiocy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/08/22/trump-trade-tariffs/

I've seen conservative lawyer John Hinderaker's comments posted here about other matters, arguing against the various prosecutions of Trump, etc.

Here's what he has to say about this:

I don’t suppose many people care, but Donald Trump’s latest venture into trade policy is idiotic. Trump’s tariff plan is so dumb that for once, the Washington Post is actually right: “Trump vows massive new tariffs if elected, risking global economic war.” Putting WaPo in the right isn’t easy, but Trump managed to accomplish it:

Among the ideas [Trump and his advisers] discussed was Trump’s plan to enact a “universal baseline tariff” on virtually all imports to the United States, the people said. This idea, which Trump has taken to describing as the creation of a “ring around the U.S. economy,” could represent a massive escalation of global economic chaos, surpassing the international trade discord that marked much of his first administration. Trump advisers have for months discussed various potential levels to set the tariff rate, and they said the plan remains a work in progress with major questions left unresolved, the people said.

But that didn’t stop the politician from breaking some news:

On Fox Business on Thursday, the former president called for setting this tariff at 10 percent “automatically” for all countries, a move that experts warn could lead to higher prices for consumers throughout the economy and could likely lead to a global trade war.

This is a Worldwide Depression Act.

And he's running on it.

And they say Biden has lost it.

Jeez Frank, I can't speak on this plan, I don't know anything about it. But can you not appreciate how the liberal progressive agenda is wrecking havoc with out economy? From the lockdowns, to depleting our strategic oil reserves in half, to artificially manipulate gas prices for a few months. 

Pushing an exponentially expensive complicated green agenda, alienating our main energy supplier, costing all of us in utilities, food, transportation, and tricking into every aspect of our economy. How could it be any worse than that ridiculous Inflation reduction act?

Look at that IRA, you really think you're going to heat your house in the winter and cool it in the summer with wind and solar and batteries? In 4years? How can you portray yourself as intelligent and think we can implement that massive of a turn around in infrastructure between now and '27?  THAT is what's going to put us into a depression. That's what's going to cause a stock market crash 

Biden, dude, Biden and the DNC agenda is going to be the ruin of us. 

That first sentence of yours is a real hoot though. It's not even a plan, what's to defend? What's with the hostile language 

Edited by TSOL
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, TSOL said:

Jeez Frank, I can't speak on this plan, I don't know anything about it. But can you not appreciate how the liberal progressive agenda is wrecking havoc with out economy? From the lockdowns, to depleting our strategic oil reserves in half, to artificially manipulate gas prices for a few months. 

Pushing an exponentially expensive complicated green agenda, alienating our main energy supplier, costing all of us in utilities, food, transportation, and tricking into every aspect of our economy. How could it be any worse than that ridiculous Inflation reduction act?

Look at that IRA, you really think you're going to heat your house in the winter and cool it in the summer with wind and solar and batteries? In 4years? How can you portray yourself as intelligent and think we can implement that massive of a turn around in infrastructure between now and '27?  THAT is what's going to put us into a depression. That's what's going to cause a stock market crash 

Biden, dude, Biden and the DNC agenda is going to be the ruin of us. 

That first sentence of yours is a real hoot though. It's not even a plan, what's to defend? What's with the hostile language 

I agree. The so-called IRA was bad legislation.

I don't know what any of that has to do with Trump saying he's going to raise taxes. And yes, he said it - the suggested 10 percent tariff is indeed a "tax" --

“When companies come in and they dump their products in the United States, they should pay, automatically, let’s say a 10 percent tax,” Trump said on Fox Business. “I do like the 10 percent for everybody.”

A tax that every American will pay when the buy pretty much anything, as it would pervade the entire manufacturing supply chain.

Trump is searching (just like Vivek) for a new "build the wall" that sounds good to low information voters but that is either insane and insanely counterproductive (if implemented), or insane and certain to be conveniently forgotten or made to apply only to a narrow category of imports/countries if he is elected.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree. The so-called IRA was bad legislation.

I don't know what any of that has to do with Trump saying he's going to raise taxes. And yes, he said it - the suggested 10 percent tariff is indeed a "tax" --

“When companies come in and they dump their products in the United States, they should pay, automatically, let’s say a 10 percent tax,” Trump said on Fox Business. “I do like the 10 percent for everybody.”

A tax that every American will pay when the buy pretty much anything, as it would pervade the entire manufacturing supply chain.

Trump is searching (just like Vivek) for a new "build the wall" that sounds good to low information voters but that is either insane and insanely counterproductive (if implemented), or insane and certain to be conveniently forgotten or made to apply only to a narrow category of imports/countries if he is elected.

He is probably reacting to the fact that China taxes our exports so heavily while we let their crappy plastic junk in for next to nothing. 

Bring up the IRA has to do with the fact that you attack a Trump idea while you seemingly give a biden  idea a pass. 

Just now, TSOL said:

while you seemingly give a biden  idea a pass

Wrong.

Biden has allowed Trump's China tariffs to remain in place. I've criticized him for doing so. And I just said the IRA was bad legislation. 

Don't get so used to people here being 100% supportive of one side or the other that you assume everyone is like that. I'm not.

1 minute ago, TSOL said:

He is probably reacting to the fact that China taxes our exports so heavily while we let their crappy plastic junk in for next to nothing. 

Well, the China tariff is already in place. He was quite clear - he's contemplating a 10 percent across the board tariff on all goods/all countries. Regardless of what one thinks of Biden's approach, this is probably the single worst economic/trade proposal to come from a leading presidential candidate in my lifetime. Really, it is that bad. (and that's not even talking about how it would violate various treaties). Think about Buffalo with a huge diminution in U.S.-Canada trade for starters. And if he doesn't mean Canada or Mexico (or the EU, or Japan, or whatever), well, it wouldn't have been hard to say so. He said it: across the board.

POLLSTER: TRUMP IS ‘STRONGER TODAY THAN HE’S EVER BEEN’

In a Tuesday interview with conservative podcaster Charlie Kirk, Big Data pollster Rich Baris claimed that support for former President Donald Trump is stronger today than in either 2016 or 2020.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/08/pollster-trump-is-stronger-today-than-hes-ever-been.php

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/20/2023 at 2:14 AM, John from Riverside said:

Do you know for somebody that had tape over his mouth so that he couldn’t see the election was stolen? I sure did hear him say it a lot.

And I heard the others, loudly, proclaiming tha Trump stole the election of 2016, that he was an illegitimate president, and that he was guilty of treason.

That of course lead to Mueller, doors kicked in, people getting squeezed, leaks that turned were phony and attempts to force the lawfully elected president from office. 

Why did you support all that, John?  Why would you be upset the next guy tried it when it worked so well for the democrats?