Holy crap Daboll interview

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

For sure it is both ways. This is the first time in Daboll's NFL OC career he has had a proper viable starting QB. You call a game differently when you have a guy like that then when you have scrubs. Josh has learned a lot under Daboll too though. And it is the perception around the league of the job he has done with Josh that will get him those interviews more than anything else IMO.

I thought that the offensive playcalling in 2018 was a LOT better and more creative than what we saw in 2017. The lack of results was purely an effect of a lack of talent and a raw rookie QB. 

39 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought that the offensive playcalling in 2018 was a LOT better and more creative than what we saw in 2017. The lack of results was purely an effect of a lack of talent and a raw rookie QB. 

Agree. I have thought Daboll has got too much criticism from the fanbase as a rule. That isn't to say he has been perfect - even this year I have said I didn't like the offensive gameplan against KC. But at times fans find it easier to blame the coordinator than the players. Some people might believe the Josh improvement was inevitable. I believe that Daboll deserves some credit.... and based on Josh's comments so does he. I think they are really tight. And if you are going to have a defensive HC then having an OC who has a good relationship with your QB is even more vital.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. I have thought Daboll has got too much criticism from the fanbase as a rule. That isn't to say he has been perfect - even this year I have said I didn't like the offensive gameplan against KC. But at times fans find it easier to blame the coordinator than the players. Some people might believe the Josh improvement was inevitable. I believe that Daboll deserves some credit.... and based on Josh's comments so does he. I think they are really tight. And if you are going to have a defensive HC then having an OC who has a good relationship with your QB is even more vital.

What are your thoughts on the difference between the overall gameplans for KC vs Seattle?

KC seemed like classic conservative McD. Let them run to kill the clock, keep it close, hope we pull it out in the end.

Seattle seemed like they may have learned their lesson against KC and said "Eff it, let's see THEM keep up with US".

Hoping McD learned to be aggressive against good teams. Or is that wishful thinking? Maybe Josh's shoulder injury played into the KC gameplan?

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What are your thoughts on the difference between the overall gameplans for KC vs Seattle?

KC seemed like classic conservative McD. Let them run to kill the clock, keep it close, hope we pull it out in the end.

Seattle seemed like they may have learned their lesson against KC and said "Eff it, let's see THEM keep up with US".

Hoping McD learned to be aggressive against good teams. Or is that wishful thinking? Maybe Josh's shoulder injury played into the KC gameplan?

I don't have a problem with the defensive gameplan against KC especially with the personnel we had. Seattle are not KC. Their pass game while explosive is a downfield pass game. They can't nickel and dime you. Their tight ends are average and they don't currently have a pass catching back or a shifty slot guy. So you can throw more blitzes at them because their pass plays are longer developing. If you blitz Mahomes he is gonna kill you with catch and run dump offs to Kelce, CEH etc... 

I think the problem against KC was our offensive gameplan. They played a pretty vanilla 4-3 zone and we were trying to force plays in to Diggs and Davis in double coverage. We tried to adjust 2nd half and involve Beasley more but we were always chasing the game. Wrong plan that night. Think they wanted to use the deep game to unlock the run game and to me it was a confusing effort.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I feel so vindicated on Daboll.

Every year "we need a new OC!" posts litter the board, but you could see the play calls weren't the issue. It was execution.

Now that we're able to execute these plays, suddenly the picture is much more rosy & positive. I really hope Daboll sticks around, but if he gets a big offer for a HC spot, he'll likely take it.

On 11/9/2020 at 7:45 PM, zow2 said:

Its been mentioned all season, even yesterday nationally..how great of a job Daboll has done with Josh. Obviously they respect each other and care about each other deeply and it shows with results on the field.

Daboll will get a head coaching offer this offseason...assuming the Bills don’t completely implode.  He’s a lock (if he wants to be a head coach) 

Unlikely if buffalo goes to the super bowl.

On 11/9/2020 at 7:59 PM, NobesBLO13 said:

Somebody finally told Gase it’s not against the rules to throw on first down.

edits: oops wrong thread

if that is what you heard from that interview,  you might need to have your eyes checked.

signed, Yogi Berra.

Edited by cba fan

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I feel so vindicated on Daboll.
Every year "we need a new OC!" posts litter the board, but you could see the play calls weren't the issue. It was execution.
Now that we're able to execute these plays, suddenly the picture is much more rosy & positive. I really hope Daboll sticks around, but if he gets a big offer for a HC spot, he'll likely take it.

I've been thinking about this, and I'm not so sure the cause-and-effect is so clear.

Certainly now that we're able to execute Daboll's plays (for the most part) the picture is more rosy and positive.

A number of people have commented on the complexity and variety of Daboll's playbook.  Apparently it totally stumped AJ McCarron, an experienced NFL QB who had already played competently in a different NFL offense, to the point where he just couldn't function in it!    I think Josh struggled with it his first season and partway through last year (in some aspects, all year).  But Daboll's strategy with Josh was clearly that he wasn't going to dumb anything down, and Josh would either develop into a complete QB or flame out trying.

I think there's a point that a different OC might have tried a more streamlined, simplified playbook that could have been executed a bit better before our QB acquired more expertise - basically, tailor the playbook to the skillset of the QB.  There could be earlier success, but then a rough patch or a learning curve as the QB adapts - wasn't it said that some of Goff's initial success was because the Rams were coming to the line fast so McVay could read the defense for him - then some of his subsequent struggles were because defenses were countering that by changing alignments just before or even after the snap?  Similar thing may be happening to the Ravens, they're still successful running the ball but they may be struggling a bit to broaden Jackson's passing vocabulary faster than defenses are keying on what they can or can't do.

There are advantages and drawbacks to both approaches.

• Like (+1) 1