If the playoffs started today...

smuvtalker

We would be AFC East champions for the first time in TWENTY-FIVE YEARS, and we would be the number 3 seed, guaranteeing a home playoff game. 

I don't know about you guys, but after seeing today's convincing and complete beatdown of one of the best teams in the league and the consensus MVP front-runner, division champ and one home playoff game just doesn't seem to quench my appetite anymore.  

I try my best not to get too angry and emotional after a loss, and not to get too excited after a win, so I decided to wait a few hours before starting this topic.  After having had a while to come back down to earth, I can legitimately say that a 13-3 record at the end of the regular season is not as lofty a prediction as it might've been a few weeks ago.  Here's how I see the final games shaping up now:   @Cardinals- even with them losing to the Dolphins today, they're a pretty solid team especially offensively.  Murray can definitely beat you with his arms and legs, but he's young and prone to mistakes, and the blueprint we created today in containing Wilson should be even better against a young more inexperienced Murray.  In the dome, with all his offensive weapons healthy, PLUS an o-line who's now had two games to settle in, no way Josh doesn't light it up again.  W

Chargers- fresh off the bye, at home, team should be healthy and ready to roar.  I don't give a damn if it's Rivers or Herbert behind center.  West coast team coming east gets an epic beatdown. W

@49ers- primetime Monday night football.  We've already gotten our signature win of the year, but this is the week McDermott and Allen show the country just who the Bills REALLY are, and we finally dominate on primetime TV.  Plus 49ers injury situation is way worse than ours. W

Steelers- the best team in the NFL comes into Orchard Park for our second primetime game in a row, and obvious game of the week.  I think their defense forces a few turnovers, and our defense struggles stopping Big Ben, and the Steelers sneak out of OP with a win. L

@Broncos- Thin air be damned.  The whole team comes into the mile high city pissed off after letting last week's game slip away from them, and the Broncos pay the price. Bills dominate the game from start to finish. By game's end Matt Barkley will be handing off to Taiwan Jones. W

@Patriots- Bellicheck will have already mailed it in, and even though they have nothing to play for but pride, it's not enough. Buffalo is in straight up business mode with their eyes on a first round bye, and sweeps the New England Patriots for the first time since I was a junior in college.  Which was 1999 lol. W

Dolphins- I'm predicting that by this time, the Bills will control their destiny for the number 2 seed and that coveted yet elusive first round bye. The Dolphins make the playoffs with a win and a loss by the Colts. Final game of the season, at home, temps in the 20's and light snow. During pre-game while the Dolphins are on the field by themselves warming up, Jerry Hughes, Mario Addison, Milano and Tre White all come out of the tunnel wearing just tank-tops....(props to those of you who get where that came from 😉 )  and the Bills proceed to beat the living daylights out of the Dolphins to the tune of 37-6.  And our beloved Buffalo Bills secure the number two seed in the 2020 NFL playoffs....13-3

Who's with me???

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

We would be AFC East champions for the first time in TWENTY-FIVE YEARS, and we would be the number 3 seed, guaranteeing a home playoff game

I read an article in the last week, on ESPN I believe it was, that the NFL is considering tweaking the playoff format so that division winners would no longer be guaranteed a home game. The reason is they do not want the NFC East winner (Philadelphia?), who may have something like a 6-10 record, hosting a very good team like Tampa Bay. So if this proceeds, if a wild card like Baltimore, for example, has a better record than us, we would not host them in the wild card round.

Edited by Prepare to Die

7 minutes ago, Prepare to Die said:

I read an article in the last week, on ESPN I believe it was, that the NFL is considering tweaking the playoff format so that division winners would no longer be guaranteed a home game. The reason is they do not want the NFC East winner (Philadelphia?), who may have something like a 6-10 record, hosting a very good team like Tampa Bay. So if this proceeds, if a wild card like Baltimore, for example, has a better record than us, we would not host them in the Wild Card round.

I saw that too.  That's a decision to make before the season starts.  I don't think it is appropriate to move the field goal posts midseason.  We are not dealing with massive disruptions to the season from COVID so far (knock on wood) which could justify a shuffle like that.  I don't see the need to make such an important change at this point. 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Bills will control their destiny for the number 2 seed and that coveted yet elusive first round bye.

If I recall only a single buy this year with 3 wildcards meaning 14 teams make it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coastie said:

If I recall only a single buy this year with 3 wildcards meaning 14 teams make it.

Wow, that totally stinks.  I mean I get tweaking things this season due to the craziness with Covid and everything but yuck.  That would only be for this season though right?

8 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Wow, that totally stinks.  I mean I get tweaking things this season due to the craziness with Covid and everything but yuck.  That would only be for this season though right?

No, that was a pre-covid change.  They added a third wild card and as a result eliminated the bye for the #2 seed.

12 minutes ago, The Red King said:

No, that was a pre-covid change.  They added a third wild card and as a result eliminated the bye for the #2 seed.

OMFG that is horrible.  I don't agree with that at all.  Call me old-fashioned or something, but I don't think there was anything wrong with the old seeding.  If it ain't broke don't fix it!   At least I didn't think it was broke.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

OMFG that is horrible.  I don't agree with that at all.  Call me old-fashioned or something, but I don't think there was anything wrong with the old seeding.  If it ain't broke don't fix it!   At least I didn't think it was broke.

I was perfectly ok with only 6 seeds but I always thought the division winners should make the playoffs but not be guaranteed a home playoff game. So essentially, a 7-9 division winner would make it but be a 6 seed as opposed to one of the top 4

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

It was broke because the NFL could get more money.

It was a big point in negotiations and NFLPA did not resist very much since players get bonuses for playoff games played.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

No, that was not a pre-COVID change.

They announced it on April 1st, well about a week after the Olympics had been cancelled because of COVID worries, and three days after the stimulus bill was signed into law.

Edited by Thurman#1

If weather permits, the bills will stretch defenses, including the Steelers, by going to the 4 to 5 wide set. No one has proven to stop it yet when the Bills have John Brown in there. 

what I’m saying is, is that the Steelers defense could be exposed. A victory is not out of the question against them 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I was perfectly ok with only 6 seeds but I always thought the division winners should make the playoffs but not be guaranteed a home playoff game. So essentially, a 7-9 division winner would make it but be a 6 seed as opposed to one of the top 4

Agree 100%.  If they would've tweaked it to this, it would be perfect IMO.  

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

Agree 100%.  If they would've tweaked it to this, it would be perfect IMO.  

I go the the other way actually. I think Division winners absolutely should be the top seeds otherwise do away with divisions. I don't love the 3rd wildcard and only 1 bye but I can live with it. It makes having the best conference record much more of a thing. 

They are actually voting this week on for 2020 only giving Godell the power to (at some future point without going back to owners) add a 4th wildcard and eliminate byes.... the reason being that they are very worried that every team won't play 16 games and it might avoid a team missing out because of an odd schedule. 

4 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Dear Bills fan,

Nobody knows how to screw up playoff seeding like me. Let's talk!

Sincerely,

Gary Bettman

10 hours ago, Prepare to Die said:

I read an article in the last week, on ESPN I believe it was, that the NFL is considering tweaking the playoff format so that division winners would no longer be guaranteed a home game. The reason is they do not want the NFC East winner (Philadelphia?), who may have something like a 6-10 record, hosting a very good team like Tampa Bay. So if this proceeds, if a wild card like Baltimore, for example, has a better record than us, we would not host them in the wild card round.

There was a thread on it.  I mentioned this in that

say bills-titans postponedand not rescheduled. You coukd have a scenarios ehere buffalo is 9-6 and Tennessee is 10-5. Buffalo is in 8 th place. You have Raiders and colts at 10-6.  Colts has tiebreaker in titans for division.  If they made up the game and buffalo won they’d get into the playoffs because of h2h agsinst titans and raiders.

thus is the situation on allowing an 8th playoff team due to canvrlling games.

i do think a division winner gets a home game for first round.  After that the final 4 teams are sorted by record tie breakers.