Sean McDermott press conference

TwistofFate

19 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Couple of long throws that offense missed out on could have been the game. Had we connected and taken the lead they would have been forced to throw. 

We shouldn't have taken those shots.  Those were wasted downs.

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Then you weren't paying attention.

If Allen took what the D gave him then we probably win.  Hopefully he learns from it and realized why he did it.  I could be wrong but I think Mahomes played a Jedi mind trick on him this weekend.  Played on his ego.  The one thing Josh still needs to do is mature a little.

24 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Complete bull#### considering the weather was going to help the defenses from the onset......i hate these coaches inability to diagnose its not working and correct the issue.....you stop the run game and short passes by playing a man to man and have edmunds spy mahomes all damn game......adjustments are meant to be ingame and our coaches never have an answer

That must be why we have so many 4th quarter comebacks.

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Then you weren't paying attention.

Well....I thought I was paying attention.  I also thought the Chiefs dominated the Bills and the game was never in doubt.

We had a chance to tie the game at the end of the first half with a 52 yd field goal, which could have put the game "in doubt".  We missed it.

We gave up an 8 minute drive ending in a TD in the 3Q

When we scored, to put the game within 1 TD at 23-17, we promptly gave up a 4:38 minute 75 yd drive ending in a FG to ice the game -for them.

When was the game in doubt, to you?

3 minutes ago, billsherd said:

It looks that way now but we have been big play offense.  

Not in those weather conditions.

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

Our 4th quarter comebacks are not to do with our defense lol

The D has to stop the other team from scoring TDs in order to catch up if I'm not mistaken.  I could be wrong in some strange alternate reality.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well....I thought I was paying attention.  I also thought the Chiefs dominated the Bills and the game was never in doubt.

We had a chance to tie the game at the end of the first half with a 52 yd field goal, which could have put the game "in doubt".  We missed it.

We gave up an 8 minute drive ending in a TD in the 3Q

When we scored, to put the game within 1 TD at 23-17, we promptly gave up a 4:38 minute 75 yd drive ending in a FG to ice the game -for them.

When was the game in doubt, to you?

What do you mean by doubt then? Do you mean the lead because yeah they had that all 2nd half. If you mean a reasonable chance of losing the game then yes at the end there there was a reasonable chance, one stop and the Bills offense would be back out there with momentum and Allen had just gone 5/5 and lead the team down for a TD not that long ago. The game wasn't out of reach until the last few minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Not in those weather conditions.

The D has to stop the other team from scoring TDs in order to catch up if I'm not mistaken.  I could be wrong in some strange alternate reality.

When has our defense ever did that against an above average team?......we have to have comebacks against average or even below average teams....maybe if the could have forced one stop after we cut the lead we could have had another 4th q comeback...

2 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Weather will only get worse so if we can't take deep shots we better figure out how to run the ball. 

Brady did just fine taking short and intermediate throws.  When we can it's great.  You won't see many teams trying to do that in wet weather.  KC didn't.

3 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

When has our defense ever did that against an above average team?......we have to have comebacks against average or even below average teams....maybe if the could have forced one stop after we cut the lead we could have had another 4th q comeback...

I forgot.  The Raiders that just beat the Cheifs are a below average team.

46 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Just watched it and it seems like we schemed to do exactly what we did.  The defensive design was to take away all big passing plays, keep it on the ground and in front of the defense. 

He was asked about bringing more into the box to stop the run and McD stated from all the film they watched, it never worked out well for other defenses.  He didn't want this to be a 40pt game. 

It's seems they were willing to take a slow death to keep the game close and have a chance to win it in the end. 

I can only assume they believed the Dline would have a much better game with the benching of Harry and Trent. 

just a total bonehead idea.  hey, this D can’t stop the run.   Lets bench a DT and DE, and then, lets make the other team run, even though we can’t stop it.   

It was the right game plan. Allen and the offense didn't deliver. With the offense playing like it did earlier in the year we would have beaten the defending champs. I'm not sure what people wanted McDermott to do for this game. Right now I am questioning Beane a lot more than McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea....

play not to lose. He pulled out the ole Dick Jauron playbook.

Hes likes that strategy. 

He showed faith in the offense to score and was hoping that Josh and the offense could stand toe to toe with the KC offense. Jauron would do that strategy with no reason to have faith in the offense to win a shoot out. It was a calculated risk by McD. One that looked like it might work in the first half but the offense just couldn't consistently work. 

52 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Just watched it and it seems like we schemed to do exactly what we did.  The defensive design was to take away all big passing plays, keep it on the ground and in front of the defense. 

He was asked about bringing more into the box to stop the run and McD stated from all the film they watched, it never worked out well for other defenses.  He didn't want this to be a 40pt game. 

It's seems they were willing to take a slow death to keep the game close and have a chance to win it in the end. 

I can only assume they believed the Dline would have a much better game with the benching of Harry and Trent. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/sean-mcdermott-we-need-to-look-ourselves-in-the-mirror

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloBills/videos/1266180210430684

15:18 in

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It was the right game plan. Allen and the offense didn't deliver. With the offense playing like it did earlier in the year we would have beaten the defending champs. I'm not sure what people wanted McDermott to do for this game. Right now I am questioning Beane a lot more than McDermott.

I put this on the offense more than the defense. If Josh can get a field goal on one of those third quarter drives that game is a bit different as it is a one possession game going into the 4th. The offense put up two measley punts in the third quarter. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, billsfan89 said:

He showed faith in the offense to score and was hoping that Josh and the offense could stand toe to toe with the KC offense. Jauron would do that strategy with no reason to have faith in the offense to win a shoot out. It was a calculated risk by McD. One that looked like it might work in the first half but the offense just couldn't consistently work. 

To be fair to the offense, the D does need to get a couple of stops and let them have the ball.  2:42 in the 3Q (one punt) and 3:51 in the 4Q (one punt and one quick-strike 62 yd touchdown).

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair to the offense, the D does need to get a couple of stops and let them have the ball.  2:42 in the 3Q (one punt) and 3:51 in the 4Q (one punt and one quick-strike 62 yd touchdown).

I fully agree the defense in particular needed to at the very least get KC off the field on that third and long on the last drive they scored a field goal on. That would have at the very least given the Bills the ball down 6 with a few minutes left to play and all the timeouts. Hell the defense nearly forced a fumble then which might have won the team the game. But if you know the gameplan is bend don't break and that possessions will be limited you can't go punts back to back. You just can't. 

This loss showcased the need for internal and external improvements on the D-line. As well as what Josh will need to do in inclement weather and against the blitz.