Sean McDermott press conference

TwistofFate

Just watched it and it seems like we schemed to do exactly what we did.  The defensive design was to take away all big passing plays, keep it on the ground and in front of the defense. 

He was asked about bringing more into the box to stop the run and McD stated from all the film they watched, it never worked out well for other defenses.  He didn't want this to be a 40pt game. 

It's seems they were willing to take a slow death to keep the game close and have a chance to win it in the end. 

I can only assume they believed the Dline would have a much better game with the benching of Harry and Trent. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea....

play not to lose. He pulled out the ole Dick Jauron playbook.

Hes likes that strategy. 

No, it's called being realistic. Man, the more I read, the more I can only stand a few people who post here.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Just watched it and it seems like we schemed to do exactly what we did.  The defensive design was to take away all big passing plays, keep it on the ground and in front of the defense. 

He was asked about bringing more into the box to stop the run and McD stated from all the film they watched, it never worked out well for other defenses.  He didn't want this to be a 40pt game. 

It's seems they were willing to take a slow death to keep the game close and have a chance to win it in the end. 

I can only assume they believed the Dline would have a much better game with the benching of Harry and Trent. 

Complete bull#### considering the weather was going to help the defenses from the onset......i hate these coaches inability to diagnose its not working and correct the issue.....you stop the run game and short passes by playing a man to man and have edmunds spy mahomes all damn game......adjustments are meant to be ingame and our coaches never have an answer

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

Complete bull#### considering the weather was going to help the defenses from the onset......i hate these coaches inability to diagnose its not working and correct the issue.....you stop the run game and short passes by playing a man to man and have edmunds spy mahomes all damn game......adjustments are meant to be ingame and our coaches never have an answer

No there answer is the definition on insanity, just do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. But in today's NFL that don't fly, especially against the chiefs.

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I mean to be fair we were a stop away on that last FG drive from having a real shot at this game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Paulus said:

No, it's called being realistic. Man, the more I read, the more I can only stand a few people who post here.

giphy.gif

There’s a fine line though.

I get the game plan for the MOST part.

But on key situations on 3rd and shorts and late in the game, you HAVE to take more chances on the defensive side.

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

It actually sounds like they thought the offense would be at least competent. If we could have gotten Allen’s production vs. the Titans in this game, it would have been a lopsided victory. 

The goal sounds like it was to keep it under 30.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

But that's the thing. The defense couldn't stop the Chiefs when it mattered and did anyone really think Mahomes and the Chiefs offense werent at least getting into FG range.

It was a chicken ***** game plan.

They came close several times on that drive problem is Mahomes is Mahomes and that's hard to stop.

13 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I thought McDermott made it clear that while overall, that was the design .... the execution was not at all as desired.  Lost contain on the QB and some run plays, some broken coverages allowing key pass plays, too much YAC etc. 

The 3rd and long conversions, and indeed all the 3rd down conversions we allowed (9 of 'em) could NOT have been in any sane D coaches plan.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Paulus said:

giphy.gif

Eh... I kind of hate this gameplan.  

Of course, I’m sure he’s beyond disappointed with the defensive players as well, but he wanted these players... you play to win the game, not keep it close and hope you have a chance. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought McDermott made it clear that while overall, that was the design .... the execution was not at all as desired.  Lost contain on the QB and some run plays, some broken coverages allowing key pass plays, too much YAC etc. 

The 3rd and long conversions, and indeed all the 3rd down conversions we allowed (9 of 'em) could NOT have been in any sane D coaches plan.

Right there was a play where Mahomes ran where Hughes was looking in the exact opposite direction of Mahomes as he ran around the edge it was like what the hell are you doing he's behind you?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Clearly.  That's why I'm assuming two players were benched.  The were looking for answers on the defensive front. 

But....they clearly didn't bring guys in the box to prevent what was happening over and over.  They were looking for someone to make a play on the D line and keep everything in front of them.  They were willing to allow it to happen in order to not give up the big plays. 

It didn’t matter what McD did on defense, we were always going to be picked apart by the Chiefs offense. We simply don’t have the personnel up front to do much of anything. They can’t stop the run or get pressure. Basically, we were ***** the minute we had the Chiefs on our schedule.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That’s my biggest issue with the last two weeks, we have to keep the qb on the pocket at all cost. Every time Mahomes and Tannehill broke contain it led to a big play. 
That’s the first thing I tighten up. Keep the qb in the pocket and that will help third down defense. 

• Like (+1) 1