Sunday Night Football: Rams at 49ers 8:20 ET

Just now, Warcodered said:

Which makes sense I mean having to score two more times instead of 1 is always going to be much lower odds it just makes sense to know with as much time as possible.

it absolutely makes sense. Its just ultimately the team never really scores two more times to prove the call right.

1 minute ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

He just wouldn't shut up about it. He seemed legitimately irritated at Romeo for going for 2. He's definitely losing sleep tonight over the fact that a coach didn't do what he deemed wrong.

so he’s literally wrong in two different ways. He’s both illogical and he thinks it matters. LOL

I couldn't figure out McVay (or whoever called the offense) game plan.  WTF Goff dropping back and heaving bombs on 3rd and 6, 8, whatever?  The SF DBs were  very tight in coverage and a bunch of his normally reliable receivers had the dropsies.  Maybe figure out some other way to get 6 or 8 yards and keep matriculating the ball downfield?

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Which makes sense I mean having to score two more times instead of 1 is always going to be much lower odds it just makes sense to know with as much time as possible.

Have the D play with the thought that they need to get 1 stop and give their O just 1 more chance.  That's the way I see it.  Playing with real  hope vs needing a fluky play(s) to get a 2nd possession.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

3 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Have the D play with the thought that they need to get 1 stop and give their O just 1 more chance.  That's the way I see it.  Playing with real  hope vs needing a fluky play.

since statistically it doesn’t really matter you can play it however you want. Just know that going for the extra point first and two later gives you worse odds, it’s just that the difference is so small it doesn’t matter.

• SDS unpinned this topic
7 minutes ago, SDS said:

since statistically it doesn’t really matter you can play it however you want. Just know that going for the extra point first and two later gives you worse odds, it’s just that the difference is so small it doesn’t matter.

I think there was only 3:46 left at the time.  That makes a 2nd possession even less likely.  The time left when that decision gets made should be a variable as well.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Giants at home gave them trouble.... just don’t think they are a good team. Probably somewhere between 8-9 wins, IMO. Could be wrong. 

I think they're a good team and are well-coached but their offensive skill position talent seems limited and it makes them look underwhelming at times. I think their defense is pretty legit though.

Another game, another Raheem Mostert injury that knocks him out of the game...

Is he trying to set a record for most games started and injured without returning? Is that the 3rd or 4th game this year? Getting a little ridiculous and where coaches may need to remind him that the beat ability is availability...

Monday morning reflections....

1. That was the most San Fran that San Fran have looked all year. The running game was back, there were short passes out of misdirection looks for the receivers and the odd throw down the seam to George Kittle. Having Kittle, Samuel and Aiyuk all properly healthy for the first time (not to mention Garoppolo looked far healthier than a week ago) definitely changes their passing game.

2. On defense you have to be impressed with the way the 49ers banged up secondary played. Emmanuel Mosely started to break out in the playoffs last year and while he has had an up and down start this year he played is best game of the season last night. Jason Verrett has always been talented (he was the Chargers' first round pick in 2014) but he has normally been hurt. If those two can play at this level consistently then maybe the 49ers are still a threat in the NFC.

3. I agree with what @Hapless Bills Fan said above about McVay's playcalling. I have no idea what he was doing. Far too much spread with Goff in shotgun and where was the run game? They had four drives in the first half. Three of them contained 0 runs or 1 run and went nowhere. The one touchdown drive they ran on 7 out of 10 plays. The second half was similar - their best drive that ended in the endzone pick they committed to the run and passed off of it. I have praised McVay for what he has done with the offense this year with the added variety in personal groupings and formations but this was a badly called game on offense.

4. The Rams just paid Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods. This was a night that might lead to some buyer's regret. Kupp dropped a catch in the endzone and another touchdown on a deep bomb where he seemed to struggle tracking the ball and Woods had a bad drop on a deep ball second half too. When your playcaller and Quarterback are not having great nights your playmakers have to step up and that did not happen for the Rams.

5. I watched four games last night - the Browns @ Steelers; the Texans @ Titans; the Packers @ Buccs and then this one. And it is becoming a league of play action passing. I have to believe that is at least partly because of the oline play around the league but the Titans and the 49ers executed it expertly and the Browns, Packers and Rams who are teams that have used a lot of it successfully through the first 5 weeks looked a little lost when it wouldn't function or they got away from it. Not that play action is new or anything.... just that I can't ever remember a time when I thought it was the identity of so many NFL offenses.

6. I started the season thinking the NFC West was the best division in football and could send three teams to the post season. I still think the former, I no longer think the latter. I just suspect they beat each other up too much. The Cardinals have already beaten the 49ers, who have in turn beaten the Rams. The Seahawks enter divisional play next week. There are still a lot of divisional games to be played between those 4 and I suspect they will continue to be games that can go either way.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1