All-22 Grades for Bills/Raiders (The Athletic)

HappyDays

As usual I'm only posting snippets. It's worth the subscription if you want to read the whole thing.

1) Phillips stands out as DTs turn it around

Third-year defensive tackle Harrison Phillips was one of the biggest reasons for the revival of the run defense. The Bills switched up the rotation and put Phillips, their most natural fit at one-technique, next to Ed Oliver in the starting lineup. Phillips rewarded the Bills with his best performance of the season, playing up to his potential for the first time since tearing his ACL last year.

Phillips and Oliver helped the Bills record three tackles for loss. They also came up with a critical stop on a fourth down to get the ball back in the offense’s hands. Although Oliver had a slow start to the game, he turned it on in the second half and was a presence against both the run and the pass.

Devin Singletary didn’t have as impressive a day statistically Sunday as he did against the Rams, but his performance was equally notable for other reasons. Against the Raiders, Singletary showed an ability to scan defenders’ body positioning and make them miss. That elusive quality, combined with his vision, has become a staple of his game.

his in-game pass protection against the Raiders was top-notch, a big development given his struggles in that area last season. A handful of times, he read the pass rush correctly and positioned himself to take on a defender. Last year, Singletary whiffed on more block attempts and didn’t seem to have the strength and balance to deal with bigger defenders. He’s since fine-tuned his technique, going into each attempt with a low center of gravity and exploding into the block in an attempt to halt the defender’s momentum.

3) After a shaky start, Norman showed off recognition skills in debut

Norman began to hit his stride in the second half, playing in the same defense that made him a star with the Panthers. Norman was at his best Sunday when he was squared up and able to diagnose plays from his spot in the zone. His instincts, specifically against the run and screens, stand out when he’s playing a bit off the line of scrimmage.

4) Morse stands out as the O-Line has a banner day

Against an inferior Raiders defensive line, the Bills’ offensive line had all the potential to dominate Sunday’s matchup. Based on the results, with five of the six Bills’ linemen earning at least a “B” grade or higher, they lived up to that expectation.

For the second week in a row, Bills middle linebacker Tremaine Edmunds earned one of the team’s lowest grades. Edmunds is playing through a shoulder injury, but his struggles against the run carried over into the Raiders game. On the positive side, Edmunds was challenging in coverage and made life over the middle of the field far more difficult for the Raiders than it was for the Dolphins and Rams. He also tackled better this week. But Edmunds still found himself near the bottom of the weekly grades because of the biggest hole in his game — block shedding.

Highest grades - Allen, Singletary, Morse, Dawkins, D. Williams, Phillips, Milano all given an A-

Lowest grades - Edmunds, Knox, Epenesa, Spain all given C+ or C grades

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm starting to get a lot more critical of Edwards and think we should starting to see the ROI by this point.  We should be talking contract after this year possibly and I think Luke Kuechly is a fair comparison, as they were both 1st round picks operating in a similar defense.

He's yet to really be a difference maker for us and I'm starting to wonder if he will ever be more than serviceable. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm really happy that Phillips is back in form. I don't understand all the hate he gets in this forum. I'm equally happy to see D Williams playing, especially on the edge after he struggled so much at LG in 2019. It looks like Williams was the other big signing of the offseason. I hope they don't wait to extend him. So dissapointed with Edmunds. He has all the tools, but just hasn't put it together yet.

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm starting to get a lot more critical of Edwards and think we should starting to see the ROI by this point.  We should be talking contract after this year possibly and I think Luke Kuechly is a fair comparison, as they were both 1st round picks operating in a similar defense.

He's yet to really be a difference maker for us and I'm starting to wonder if he will ever be more than serviceable. 

I think the Kuechly comparison is a little tough.  Yes, they were both 1st round picks but one was a top ten consensus pick and the other was a top 20 more raw prospect.

That being said, Ive never been an Edmunds guy.  I think a lot of the love for him is based more on the Bills PR hype machine around him than his actual play on the field which has been average at best, injury or no injury.   He gets a lot of passes for being young but 22 or not he is now three years in and hasnt shown to be getting better against the run.  Personally Id pass on resigning him as its going to be expensive and the return isnt worth it right now.

Edmunds is a liability against the run. If the plan is to not pay Milano, then the Bills need to move Edmunds outside. The guy is thinking to much and can’t shed blocks. Take some things off his plate and let him do what he does best, run and cover. Have Dodson/Klein play MLB and call the defense. Have Edmunds move to WLB permanently and draft a MLB.

24 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Edmunds is a liability against the run. If the plan is to not pay Milano, then the Bills need to move Edmunds outside. The guy is thinking to much and can’t shed blocks. Take some things off his plate and let him do what he does best, run and cover. Have Dodson/Klein play MLB and call the defense. Have Edmunds move to WLB permanently and draft a MLB.

If Milano is healthy he is the best LB on the team. I loved Tremaine from year one the size and athleticism I figured he would be a lock for years. One of his biggest weaknesses that they talked about in the draft was his over pursuit and misreading of plays which take him out of plays. That is still one of his biggest problems. He also isn't a very big hitter. When you are bigger and faster than some RBs, TEs, and WRs shouldn't you be able to wrap them up at the least? All in all he gets out of his lanes a lot, tries to tackle from the side a lot and its really is ugly when it happens. He is still a pup though, if it costs us a game its serious but as of now let him develop. I hope he becomes a monster in the middle. 

39 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Hes thinking too much again.  Toward the end of last year he was dominant because we was trusting his instincts.  He will be fine i think.