Why do you believe what you're told?

48 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

If I know one thing about myself, it's that I have been brainwashed by everything around me, and that I have only found myself by having the balls to question everything I thought was sacrosanct.  All I'm saying is: you will be shocked by how much you thought you knew turns out to be absolute BS upon investation. 

The fact that you realize you may have been brainwashed is the first step in recovering from being brainwashed.  Many do not recognize that they have been brainwashed.

Edited by Greybeard
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Okay, so the question goes to you...

Do you question your "preconceived biases" or do you just go about it?  Reading your normal sources of info?

i try, however i am human so it is not completely unavoidable. in terms of politics,  do try to read items that go against what i believe, such as WaPo and NYT articles. 

i will say though that the older i get, the less i want to put up with nonsense from the Left.

35 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

...No, the truth is anathema to you, obviously. 

Hope all is well Foxy 

no, truth is not anathema, i reside mostly on factual evidence, not feelz...

all is well, ty. hope you and yours are well as well.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i try, however i am human so it is not completely unavoidable. in terms of politics,  do try to read items that go against what i believe, such as WaPo and NYT articles. 

i will say though that the older i get, the less i want to put up with nonsense from the Left.

What about info sources that are outside the mainstream, left or right?  Do you entertain those?

1 minute ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

What about info sources that are outside the mainstream, left or right?  Do you entertain those?

I believe every MSM on the left or right has an agenda. Our job as a citizen of this country is to recognize what that agenda might be and decide for yourself if you think it's true or if it's a lie. Unfortunately the press in this country can blatantly lie and not have to deal with any repercussions. 

Believe only half of what you see and none of what you hear is a good motto to live by.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

yes. if you wee a bit more privy to my posting history, you wouldn't have to ask that.

6 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

If you don't want to answer my question, you could have just not responded.

?

yes wasn't an answer? are you being obtuse on purpose or did you flitter right past the first three letters of my response?

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

?

yes wasn't an answer? are you being obtuse on purpose or did you flitter right past the first three letters of my response?

So what are your alternate sources?  You would agree that the most information possible is preferable?

13 hours ago, westside2 said:

I believe every MSM on the left or right has an agenda. Our job as a citizen of this country is to recognize what that agenda might be and decide for yourself if you think it's true or if it's a lie. Unfortunately the press in this country can blatantly lie and not have to deal with any repercussions. 

Believe only half of what you see and none of what you hear is a good motto to live by.

My views align with much of what you say.  My basic premise of human behavior is everyone acts out of their own self-interest.  So politicians, activists, do-gooders, and others aren't acting out of duty to serve the people, or helping those in need, or ending injustices.  They are acting to enhance their own power, or wealth,, or status, or some other benefits.  If what agenda they're pushing gets them there its not important what consequences or problems they cause for others.   I view all these social movements, political causes, and other "end world hunger" type people as con artists.  Professional liars.  The people I admire and value are those that have their own convictions and mind their own business.  

The other thing about what you believe is how much credibility you assign to the messenger.  And how much first-hand, expert, or other types of knowledge and experience you might have about the subject.  My advice, be skeptical but open-minded, think critically, ask questions, get other views, identify the motivation of others, always be wary of people that are certain they are correct (including me!) 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

No, not a student paper or clinical research.  I ask because it seems to me that the masses of humanity are enslaved by BELIEF.  As in, they believe what they're told without questioning.  I'm both the most scientific and spiritual person you will ever meet, but none of it has to do with belief.

I don’t believe you.