Titans NOW 20 positive Covid tests and Impacts ] updated 10/3

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on football and directly football-related issues.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

Just now, SCBills said:

I’m quickly starting to lose sympathy for the Titans.  This looks like much more than they just got unlucky.  

It looks like the whole thing started with them bringing in a Free agent who tested negative but then was positive?... hmm.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Discipline in this seems pretty straight forward: forfeit of any games messed up by this. (And I promise it has almost nothing to do with who they play next week)

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, whatdrought said:

It looks like the whole thing started with them bringing in a Free agent who tested negative but then was positive?... hmm.

Even so, did the entire team run up to the free agent and take turns mouth kissing him?... There are protocols in place to prevent a team-wide outbreak (distancing, testing, contact tracing etc).. This is just getting absurd.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Even so, did the entire team run up to the free agent and take turns mouth kissing him?... There are protocols in place to prevent a team-wide outbreak (distancing, testing, contact tracing etc).. This is just getting absurd.  

I mean, Vrabel came from New England.. god only knows what rituals they have...

• Haha (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow. I'd be surprised (and concerned) if the game next weekend is still on. I highly doubt the Titans have seen the last of the positive tests due to the incubation period, and that would prevent them from getting in the facility any time soon. People could still test negative and be contagious next weekend if the game is still played, butting our Bills at risk.

6 minutes ago, todd said:

Wow. I'd be surprised (and concerned) if the game next weekend is still on. I highly doubt the Titans have seen the last of the positive tests due to the incubation period, and that would prevent them from getting in the facility any time soon. People could still test negative and be contagious next weekend if the game is still played, butting our Bills at risk.

How many consecutive days of no new positives will be enough for them to be able to practice? To play another team? Three? Since they've been physically separated since Tuesday, it could be reasonably expected for the positives to stop soon. If they were to have their last positive Monday, I'd say they could play maybe Sunday or Monday. I really don't like the Bills having to go into their facility. Maybe move the venue? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, scribo said:

How many consecutive days of no new positives will be enough for them to be able to practice? To play another team? Three? Since they've been physically separated since Tuesday, it could be reasonably expected for the positives to stop soon. If they were to have their last positive Monday, I'd say they could play maybe Sunday or Monday. I really don't like the Bills having to go into their facility. Maybe move the venue? 

Agreed.  The positives “should” fizzle out soon.  

They’ve already had a game postponed and jacked up the Steelers bye week.  

If they can play, they need to play.  Enough is enough for this team.  Move the game to Monday or Tuesday, if needed, and then move Bills/Chiefs to Sunday Night/Monday Night.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed.  The positives “should” fizzle out soon.  

They’ve already had a game postponed and jacked up the Steelers bye week.  

If they can play, they need to play.  Enough is enough for this team.  Move the game to Monday or Tuesday, if needed, and then move Bills/Chiefs to Sunday Night/Monday Night.  

If it can be reasonably expected that the Bills would be safe, I'm all for it. I guess the incubation period is up to 14 days, and being isolated from their teammates since Tuesday means that brings us to next Tuesday for the game to be played. Of course, that is if they have no more positive tests and they keep their facility closed until then. 

30 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Discipline in this seems pretty straight forward: forfeit of any games messed up by this. (And I promise it has almost nothing to do with who they play next week)

Isn't there like a 5 day waiting period on signing free agents, specifically to protect from that sort of thing?  If they’re testing every day I'm sure that's long enough for a quarantined incoming signee to be sussed out.

28 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That makes me giggle thinking about it, but then I get sad because I know there are a LOT of really stupid professional athletes who would do something that dumb.  Just look at the Raiders...

So the Titans need two consecutive days of no new positives to re-begin practices. I hope they get it, with nothing tomorrow or Tuesday. Likely then they'd let them play our Bills Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, scribo said:

So the Titans need two consecutive days of no new positives to re-begin practices. I hope they get it, with nothing tomorrow or Tuesday. Likely then they'd let them play our Bills Sunday.

Yep, let’s hope. I’m not optimistic though because they haven’t gone one day yet

• Like (+1) 1

Think Tenny's scouts are all huddled around a secure Zoom screen pouring through all the names they're going to need to bring in once they are able to play again? Are they allowed to hold virtual workouts right now?

22 minutes ago, scribo said:

Think Tenny's scouts are all huddled around a secure Zoom screen pouring through all the names they're going to need to bring in once they are able to play again? Are they allowed to hold virtual workouts right now?

It'll be just like the beginning of The Replacements where Gene Hackman and his coaches are going through players to find. Next week the Titans will have a safety named "Ray Smith" who has been a resident of Tennessee for the last 3 years and likes to embroider! 

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This has to have as much to do with the Raiders as it does Tennessee.

That's all that needs to be addressed.  Players can't let their guard down.  We're 1/4 of the way home and all things considered the league and the players have been phenomenal.

And dont forget.  The league started on time.  They have the leeway to take a pause and resume.  Why couldn't they finish at end of February?  Every other league finished late .....MLB was just unfortunately starting when the outbreak did.  

Just sucks for Jets fans to have this potentially drag out.

• Haha (+1) 1

The NFL began drawing data from contact tracing and all available sources on Tuesday when a host of positive test results began, with a total of eight players and staff among that initial group. Numerous sources who have been in contact with high-ranking NFL officials said that there were already concerns arising from the immediate data about potential infractions, with an expectation among other team executives who have been in contact with league officials that significant penalties could be forthcoming for the Titans.

Specifically, the investigation is looking to determine if there were any violations of protocol regarding the intake of defensive back Greg Mabin, who was signed to the team's practice squad on Thursday and would later test positive for COVID-19 two days later. Sources said that the initial review of contract tracing indicated early in the week that this is when the virus entered the team facility.

Subsequently, given how the virus spread among both coaches and players -- initially on the defensive side of the ball -- there are also concerns that given contact tracing data outside linebackers coach Shane Bowen, who tested positive on Saturday, perhaps should not have been the only member of the staff not to travel with the team for the game in Minnesota. By Tuesday's outbreak the NFL was already expanding the scope of its probe, requesting practice video and other materials to continue to gather information as to whether or not PPEs and facemasks were being used as per the protocols both in that facility and on the practice fields.

"Make no mistake, this is not an inquiry -- it's an investigation," said a source with knowledge of the situation. "Was this preventable? Was this manageable? That's where this is going. It would be fair to say there are some troubling signs on a multitude of levels ... The violations aren't just happening there -- just look at what you see on team feeds on social media -- but there is obviously heightened concern about this situation."

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

This has to have as much to do with the Raiders as it does Tennessee.

That's all that needs to be addressed.  Players can't let their guard down.  We're 1/4 of the way home and all things considered the league and the players have been phenomenal.

And dont forget.  The league started on time.  They have the leeway to take a pause and resume.  Why couldn't they finish at end of February?  Every other league finished late .....MLB was just unfortunately starting when the outbreak did.  

Just sucks for Jets fans to have this potentially drag out.

The problem for the NFL is that they did not want to bubble - I do understand that would be problematic, with the specialized home training and conditioning equip each team has, and requires - and they have open-air stadia which pose issues going into Dec/Jan much less February.

I'll say it again, don't overreact, the NFL world has one team that was cavalier about following protocol. Why are the other 31 teams forced to accomodate their screw up? Send a message, violate protocol and have a breakout, and we aren't shuffling the whole world around for you. The protocol seems to work for everyone else when followed, remind everyone that to have a season this is what we need to do. Ridiculous to shut down for 2 works unless there are multiple breakouts. Don' t reward where there is no reason too.

Rest of league: no postive tests. Titans SIX days in a row!

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 2