Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hapless Bills Fan

Allen's face mask penalty: You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry

Recommended Posts

"Mr. McGee, Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." - Dr Bruce Banner

 

I have never seen anything like it.  And I really don't want to see anything like it again.

First we have Justin Hollins, #58, 6'5", 248 pounds.  Allen shifts the ball to his left hand, stiff-arms him with his throwing arm and holds him off.

image.thumb.png.0eedf061e129a1553e024d0e7a106be9.png

Then we have a second linebacker, Leonard Floyd (I think), 6'5", 240.  Allen sidesteps, ducks, and shoves Hollins into his path (by the face mask) before wrestling Hollins to the ground (by the face mask) like an old-school dog owner shoving a bad puppy's face into its mess.  Yes, that face mask penalty was entirely legit.  Allen corkscrewed the LB into the ground by the face mask, using him to take out the second LB like two bowling pins in the process.

image.thumb.png.2303ed630c904e7c31d753575b7bf1de.png

image.thumb.png.0b83f03972f75f5291f821a125c4725f.png

image.thumb.png.83f20b9716bf637ecf6db0e6797807c1.png

image.thumb.png.261f08849898b45b88f4c18a9b7eef93.png

Allen turns, and Aaron Donald is right there.  "Not this time".  Allen stiffarms and deflects him.

image.thumb.png.972ae7db7ca124988ed1aef903199a2f.png

Donald's momentum carries him past Allen.  Allen steps up while Donald is still collecting himself and throws in the face of an onrushing 4th guy.  Through the back of the endzone, fortunately - not where it could be picked off.  But you know if he'd seen a  receiver with a throwing lane at that point, Allen would have tried to make a play.
 

Here's what I don't like - while Allen is stiff arming and wrestling Hollins around with his right arm, the ball is fully extended in his left arm and waving around in the air like a chunk of tuna over the Orca tank at Seaworld.  All it would have taken at that point is for a guy Allen was unaware of (or for Floyd) to change their target and go for the ball instead of Allen.  Fumble, and that's the ball game.

 

It was exciting to watch, though.  It's like "Offensive line?  I don't need no damned offensive line, I AM a damned offensive line!" 

You could tell it juiced our guys up a bit when they were pretty well exhausted there at the end of the game, too.

 

Question: can anyone else remember a QB being called for a face mask penalty, where it was well-deserved, ever?

 

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 14
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DDCC said:

It was a penalty

 

That wasn't the question here, Bright Eyes. 

Way to read and respond appropriately to the OP post, which is full of pictures and narrative describing that.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean Allen is like a one man wrecking crew...last week he trucks Kyle Van Noy and stiff arms him to the ground effectively putting him in time out and telling him to "think about what you are trying to do and if that is something you should be doing while you are there" and then a 315 lb DLineman wants to get in on the action after he saw what Allen did to his teammate and said "Oh hell no! Nobody does that to Kyle without answering to me!" and Allen tells him to bring it and trucks him too...

 

Is this real life anymore?? Like is our QB just the baddest Mofo on the field every week??

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in awe he threw off him 3 big dudes. It's not like he's pushing DBs. Donald was surprised his two teammates didn't get the job done hence why he was more easily discarded. But still :)

 

I loved that when Donald really skillfully shed his blocker to tackle Josh near the goal line, the Bills went straight back to an Allen run and he scored. Balls. He has them.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DDCC said:

Okay

And it was still a panalty

 

 

Good point. Also, Josh Allen is #17. Also, hamburgers are actually not made of ham.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the way he plays with an edge.  I think it's a big part of what makes him so good.  

  • Like (+1) 11
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: can anyone else remember a QB being called for a face mask penalty, where it was well-deserved, ever?

 

hard to say  but to your post  

 

As I said yesterday 

 

Don't  F with Josh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Good point. Also, Josh Allen is #17.  Also, hamburgers are actually not made of ham.

 

I think he's 6'5" 240 and attended U of Wyoming as well.  And did you know Baby Oil is actually made of mineral oil, not from babies?

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember a single instance a Qb got a face mask call like that. I can't remember a Qb getting the unsportsmanlike penalty he got either.  I'm still scratching my head over it. 

 

But...I hate how wrestles like that with the ball swinging like a loaf of bread in his hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I mean Allen is like a one man wrecking crew...last week he trucks Kyle Van Noy and stiff arms him to the ground effectively putting him in time out and telling him to "think about what you are trying to do and if that is something you should be doing while you are there" and then a 315 lb DLineman wants to get in on the action after he saw what Allen did to his teammate and said "Oh hell no! Nobody does that to Kyle without answering to me!" and Allen tells him to bring it and trucks him too...

 

Is this real life anymore?? Like is our QB just the baddest Mofo on the field every week??

 

I'd really like Allen to save these high risk, might get injured plays for the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. Including the freaking option at the goal line.. But, yes, it is really exciting to watch. 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I thought for sure he was going to fumble there.  That's an awful habit he has.

 

He absolutely would have if the Rams LB were better-coached like the Ravens or Houston

image.thumb.png.7be158d442e786478c97ab0dad2a16ec.png

 

If #58 shifts his focus there and goes after that tasty chunk of Tuna Allen is waving about instead of going after Allen, not too much Allen could do to save it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I think he's 6'5" 240 and attended U of Wyoming as well.

 

I have the answer to your last question  

 

okf5qjdsMYwQa5uBy1BIrTNtzmFLMjdH8nwhykWJ

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No to your question Hapless. It is rarely called on offensive skill position players all told tbh. Occasionally on a running back but never seen it called against a QB.

 

Then again I have never seen a QB so obviously hold a guy off by their facemask haha.

 

I think Josh is a bit of a unicorn in many ways. It is part of what makes him a fun watch.

  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I can't remember a single instance a Qb got a face mask call like that. I can't remember a Qb getting the unsportsmanlike penalty he got either.  I'm still scratching my head over it. 

 

But...I hate how wrestles like that with the ball swinging like a loaf of bread in his hands. 

 

I think "like a chunk of Tuna over the Orca tank at Seaworld" is more illustrative of the allure that temptingly poised ball has for defenders, but I fundamentally agree with you on all points.   It can not too much be emphasized that this is a Very Dangerous Play.

 

I *think* Kelly may have drawn an unsportsmanlike once or twice, but that's the last I can remember.

 

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

 

I have the answer to your last question  

 

okf5qjdsMYwQa5uBy1BIrTNtzmFLMjdH8nwhykWJ

 

Was he called for a facemask on that one?  Offensive players are allowed "incidental contact"

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I think he's 6'5" 240 and attended U of Wyoming as well.

 

 

I think you're on to something there.

 

:- )

 

And Hap, I didn't realize that the third guy there was Aaron Donald. How did Josh get away with straight-arming him without drawing back a bloody stump? Holy Cow.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Mr. McGee, Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." - Dr Bruce Banner

 

I have never seen anything like it.  And I really don't want to see anything like it again.

First we have Justin Hollins, #58, 6'5", 248 pounds.  Allen shifts the ball to his left hand, stiff-arms him with his throwing arm and holds him off.

image.thumb.png.0eedf061e129a1553e024d0e7a106be9.png

Then we have a second linebacker, Leonard Floyd (I think), 6'5", 240.  Allen sidesteps, ducks, and shoves Hollins into his path (by the face mask) before wrestling Hollins to the ground (by the face mask) like an old-school dog owner shoving a bad puppy's face into its mess.  Yes, that face mask penalty was entirely legit.  Allen corkscrewed the LB into the ground by the face mask, using him to take out the second LB like two bowling pins in the process.

image.thumb.png.2303ed630c904e7c31d753575b7bf1de.png

image.thumb.png.0b83f03972f75f5291f821a125c4725f.png

image.thumb.png.83f20b9716bf637ecf6db0e6797807c1.png

image.thumb.png.261f08849898b45b88f4c18a9b7eef93.png

Allen turns, and Aaron Donald is right there.  "Not this time".  Allen stiffarms and deflects him.

image.thumb.png.972ae7db7ca124988ed1aef903199a2f.png

Donald's momentum carries him past Allen.  Allen steps up while Donald is still collecting himself and throws in the face of an onrushing 4th guy.  Through the back of the endzone, fortunately - not where it could be picked off.  But you know if he'd seen a  receiver with a throwing lane at that point, Allen would have tried to make a play.
 

Here's what I don't like - while Allen is stiff arming and wrestling Hollins around with his right arm, the ball is fully extended in his left arm and waving around in the air like a chunk of tuna over the Orca tank at Seaworld.  All it would have taken at that point is for a guy Allen was unaware of (or for Floyd) to change their target and go for the ball instead of Allen.  Fumble, and that's the ball game.

 

It was exciting to watch, though.  It's like "Offensive line?  I don't need no damned offensive line, I AM a damned offensive line!" 

You could tell it juiced our guys up a bit when they were pretty well exhausted there at the end of the game, too.

 

Question: can anyone else remember a QB being called for a face mask penalty, where it was well-deserved, ever?

 

 

 

 

Good write up across the board.  I can’t recall that penalty being called but do agree that since he held the facemask for what seemed like 45 minutes the call was legit. 
 

I mentioned last night that it appeared he took a shot to the head in conjunction with the play.  On review it appeared he actually took two shots to the head on the same play.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No to your question Hapless. It is rarely called on offensive skill position players all told tbh. Occasionally on a running back but never seen it called against a QB.

 

Then again I have never seen a QB so obviously hold a guy off by their facemask haha.

 

I think Josh is a bit of a unicorn in many ways. It is part of what makes him a fun watch.

 

He didn't just hold the guy off by his facemask.  He used the facemask to swing him into the path of a second defender, then used it to corkscrew him into the ground and take them both out. 

 

Before stiff-arming Donald by way of dessert.

 

Hollins and Floyd are going to take SOooooOoo much ***** for that play in the film room today.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...