Allen's face mask penalty: You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: can anyone else remember a QB being called for a face mask penalty, where it was well-deserved, ever?

This the QB face mask penalty I remember but after seeing Allen’s face mask penalty looks rather tame

Mahomes also got one against the Pats last year

Sorry if posted here but SI covered this yesterday and it made me giggle:

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2020/09/27/week-3-takeaways-josh-allen-wild-ride-foles-in-trubisky-out-falcons-blow-it-again

Josh Allen Is the World's Wildest Roller Coaster: Allen’s afternoon included four passing touchdowns, one rushing touchdown, a reckless jump-ball prayer with a 25-point lead that was completed ... but was incorrectly ruled an interception (there was also an offensive pass interference flag). There was another lost fumble, the rare quarterback facemask penalty committed as he used one pass rusher as a human shield to block another pass rusher. And he had another late lateral to an unsuspecting teammate—that teammate was unsuspecting because no reasonable person would ever attempt such a lateral (the ball rolled safely out of bounds). Anyway, the Bills defeated the Rams in a football game, by three points.

25 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

This the QB face mask penalty I remember but after seeing Allen’s face mask penalty looks rather tame

Mahomes also got one against the Pats last year

That looks like the one I recalled. I thought I had seen one, but much more minor before. And they there was Kelly's, but that was in a different context.

So i just heard them say on the radio that Josh should be expecting a letter pretty soon from the league with a hefty fine in there-for both the unsportsmanlike penalty (which i agree with) and for the face mask penalty....do they really hand out fines for face mask penalties?? I can understand if it’s an egregious face mask, but I can’t believe that he would get fined for the one he had the other day! 

On 9/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Mr. McGee, Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." - Dr Bruce Banner

I have never seen anything like it.  And I really don't want to see anything like it again.

First we have Justin Hollins, #58, 6'5", 248 pounds.  Allen shifts the ball to his left hand, stiff-arms him with his throwing arm and holds him off.

image.thumb.png.0eedf061e129a1553e024d0e7a106be9.png

It was exciting to watch, though.  It's like "Offensive line?  I don't need no damned offensive line, I AM a damned offensive line!" 

You could tell it juiced our guys up a bit when they were pretty well exhausted there at the end of the game, too.

Question: can anyone else remember a QB being called for a face mask penalty, where it was well-deserved, ever?

A few points on that play and Allen in general:

- His actions on this drive, against Van Noy and against Anthony Barr last year build a signal to the league's defenders. He is building his reputation as a tough guy who wont be intimidated by anyone. This is likely to help in situations such as a tight game where ALlen is fighting for a 1st down and an opposing defender slows/thinks/shivers for a fraction of a second and long enough for Allen to complete the play

- Having said the above, I do NOT want him to take the hits and put his body in the line of harm. I appreciate him being the anti-Orton but the team's success depends on him staying healthy. I notice how Mahomes has been avoiding hits while scrambling and think it is required

- I agree that he is very careless with the ball he is carrying. His fumbles are definitely a singular cause of concern. The fear is of course fumbling at key points of a game. You can bet Bellichick will coach exactly this - put pressure n ALlen and have a guy just loooking to knock the ball out

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

So i just heard them say on the radio that Josh should be expecting a letter pretty soon from the league with a hefty fine in there-for both the unsportsmanlike penalty (which i agree with) and for the face mask penalty....do they really hand out fines for face mask penalties?? I can understand if it’s an egregious face mask, but I can’t believe that he would get fined for the one he had the other day! 

Did we ever find out exactly what happened on the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?  There was nothing obvious on the television broadcast.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Did we ever find out exactly what happened on the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?  There was nothing obvious on the television broadcast.

He was clearly first pleading his case to the ref (open hands, palms up) then when his appeal had no impact you could see him get mad (his fists clenched) and he continued to stand there saying stuff to the ref.

I believe that he probably said something like "Excuse me good sir, but obviously poor vision is a detriment to your ability to perform your duties.  Permit me to arrange an opthamology work up for you.  Bless your little heart." 😇

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/28/2020 at 5:20 PM, The Dean said:

I know he's often compared (understandably) to Big Ben and Cam, I think Kelly might be as apropos. He clearly has more physical tools as JK and it looks like he has all the grit, too.  Comparing one's toughness at QB to Kelly is a very high compliment. That just HAS to fire your teammates up.

I was thinking the exact same thing as I was rewatching the game last night.  This was prompted by one of the announcers saying something about Jim Kelly was probably watching Allen run the option and cheering, which was kind of weird because I can't imagine JK ever ran an option after graduating from high school.  Kelly was a prototypical pocket passer like Marino.  If you're going to compare Allen's game to somebody from that era, it would probably be Elway, not Kelly.  

But the comparison to Kelly is spot-on when it comes to their general approach to football.  Kelly and Allen are both essentially linebackers who happen to play QB.  Kelly was famously recruited by Penn State to play linebacker.  If Allen lined up at MLB, you would never know he was out of position besides the fact that he's not wearing a linebacker number.  Kelly stayed in the pocket, but he was never afraid of getting hit.  Allen actually initiates contact with defenders and outmuscles defensive ends.  How can a Buffalo fan NOT cheer for this?

31 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

He was definitely complaining about Donald’s hands to his face mask.  Not sure if it’s been posted here yet, but pics show Donald’s hand in/on  JAs face mask.  Didn’t look like he grabbed it and pulled, but his hand was in there

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He was definitely complaining about Donald’s hands to his face mask.  Not sure if it’s been posted here yet, but pics show Donald’s hand in/on  JAs face mask.  Didn’t look like he grabbed it and pulled, but his hand was in there

For sure, but he may have also been complaining it was a horse collar tackle or unnecessary roughness, flinging him to the ground.

• Like (+1) 2

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/29/josh-allen-is-bracing-for-a-fine-letter-or-two/

Allen drew a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct, along with a facemask penalty. Both likely will come with an involuntary reduction from one of his upcoming game checks.

The 15-yarder for unsportsmanlike conduct happened after Allen believed he was subject to an illegal horsecollar tackle. (The maneuver was legal because it happened in the pocket.)

“I can’t lose my cool,” Allen told PFT by phone after Sunday’s game. “I used bad language that I shouldn’t use to a ref. . . . I’m sure I’ll get a nice little fine for that.”

Surely he will, if he hasn’t already. For both of the things that drew 15-yard fouls during the win over the Rams.

Now I see the fine for the unsportsman-like conduct.  Allen should most definitely NOT offer the ref opthamology services during the game nor should he bring up religion by offering to "Bless (his) Little Heart".  Those are beyond the bounds of football discussion.

But for other PF...one point of the fine is to influence the behavior of other players in similar situations.  I think a case could be made that other QB are not likely to be shoving one defender into another by the face mask nor use it to corkscrew them both to the ground.  And if they try, it would probably result in their discomfiture.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For sure, but he may have also been complaining it was a horse collar tackle or unnecessary roughness, flinging him to the ground.

there were a lot of BS non calls against the Bills.  

That is why some people think the Refs are crooked.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/29/josh-allen-is-bracing-for-a-fine-letter-or-two/

Allen drew a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct, along with a facemask penalty. Both likely will come with an involuntary reduction from one of his upcoming game checks.

The 15-yarder for unsportsmanlike conduct happened after Allen believed he was subject to an illegal horsecollar tackle. (The maneuver was legal because it happened in the pocket.)

“I can’t lose my cool,” Allen told PFT by phone after Sunday’s game. “I used bad language that I shouldn’t use to a ref. . . . I’m sure I’ll get a nice little fine for that.”

Surely he will, if he hasn’t already. For both of the things that drew 15-yard fouls during the win over the Rams.

Now I see the fine for the unsportsman-like conduct.  Allen should most definitely NOT offer the ref opthamology services during the game nor should he bring up religion by offering to "Bless (his) Little Heart".  Those are beyond the bounds of football discussion.

But for other PF...one point of the fine is to influence the behavior of other players in similar situations.  I think a case could be made that other QB are not likely to be shoving one defender into another by the face mask nor use it to corkscrew them both to the ground.  And if they try, it would probably result in their discomfiture.

Sorry to be uncouth and bump my own post but ROTFLMAO at this comment:

redlikethepig says:

He’s Baker Mayfield with a better team.

Ah, No, redlikethepig. 

Allen in many many ways is the anti-Baker, starting with the cocky 'tude and the off-field media trash talk.