Josh Allen takes a step: 71.7% and 104.6 Passer Rating on 46 passing attempts

To further emphasize the stupidity of the narrative against Allen, here's the very first sentence of The Athletics Week 2 NFL Picks Against the spread 

The clip of Josh Allen rolling to his left and badly missing John Brown in the end zone last week made the rounds on social media, but overall Allen got off to an encouraging start.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

To further emphasize the stupidity of the narrative against Allen, here's the very first sentence of The Athletics Week 2 NFL Picks Against the spread 

The clip of Josh Allen rolling to his left and badly missing John Brown in the end zone last week made the rounds on social media, but overall Allen got off to an encouraging start.

See I just suppose I don't see what is wrong about that sentence. Isn't it all factually accurate? The clip did go around social media but it wasn't a true representation of the game and Allen's performance was encouraging. I might have added a "very" before the encouraging but other than that you have to be looking to take offence to find it in that sentence.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

See I just suppose I don't see what is wrong about that sentence. Isn't it all factually accurate? The clip did go around social media but it wasn't a true representation of the game and Allen's performance was encouraging. I might have added a "very" before the encouraging but other than that you have to be looking to take offence to find it in that sentence.

Right. There's a lot of pettiness swirling around with Allen but that example really isnt it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Zero problem with that comment.

That miss was hilarious, and unfortunate, and inconsequential. I say again: has anyone ever seen Allen miss a throw when the game was on the line? I’ve seen him hit them multiple times.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That miss was hilarious, and unfortunate, and inconsequential. I say again: has anyone ever seen Allen miss a throw when the game was on the line? I’ve seen him hit them multiple times.

And I have said multiple times even more than the average QB Josh Allen needs to be in rhythm. You have to get him into that passing rhythm because when he does he isn't just accurate he is on the money.

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And I have said multiple times even more than the average QB Josh Allen needs to be in rhythm. You have to get him into that passing rhythm because when he does he isn't just accurate he is on the money.

Yup.

One of the things that drove me nuts last year was watching Daboll’s failures in both NE****** games to do that. Yes, Belichick likes to take away what you do well, but the easy counter was to get the ball to backs and TEs early and often to take advantage of NE’s total lack of speed at LB and desire to take away Brown/Beasley. Didn’t happen and Allen started trying too hard.

With the cast of playmakers on this roster, there’s no reason that the game plan can’t always feature some type of rhythm attack to get Allen comfortable. Because—as you say—once he is, he’s absolutely money.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Yup.

One of the things that drove me nuts last year was watching Daboll’s failures in both NE****** games to do that. Yes, Belichick likes to take away what you do well, but the easy counter was to get the ball to backs and TEs early and often to take advantage of NE’s total lack of speed at LB and desire to take away Brown/Beasley. Didn’t happen and Allen started trying too hard.

With the cast of playmakers on this roster, there’s no reason that the game plan can’t always feature some type of rhythm attack to get Allen comfortable. Because—as you say—once he is, he’s absolutely money.

In my opinion, it's one of the reasons why designed runs for Allen early in the game is useful. It helps burn off that amped up energy and allow him to focus and take some of the adrenaline out of his throws. The rhythm point I think speaks to that as well. Once he starts completing them, he settles in and doesn't try to make up for previous throws in the current one. The adrenaline slows, the techniques become second nature and he allows his talent to move the ball forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/14/2020 at 11:33 AM, badassgixxer05 said:

Yeah, the Jets had one of the best run Ds in the league last year. Their plan was def to make Allen have to throw the ball, and he did just that. 

"We're gonna put 8 in the box and make Allen beat us from the pocket because he... oh crap, we're down 21 already?"

- Greggggg Williams

• Haha (+1) 3

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You are speaking to someone who takes no part in social media.

TBD is honestly the closest I get to social media other than going onto Twitter to search for certain things rather than get sucked into the abyss of lunacy the way so many do.

So frankly I had no idea if it was factually accurate despite logically suspecting it was because... well... Josh Allen.

It's not a sentence I have an issue with.

It's a narrative.

16 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Right. There's a lot of pettiness swirling around with Allen but that example really isnt it. 

15 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Maybe it's just my homerism, but I see many, many QBs with wild misses throughout every season.

Many of these are great QBs.

But those passes are typically not part of a lingering discussion because they don't fit the accepted narrative of said QB.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:47 AM, WideNine said:

Thanks - glad you liked that.

I heard a lot of what Chris Simms has had to say about Allen the past few years, but after I heard Simms senior say last Sunday that he thought that Allen was one of only 10 or so active QBs in the league capable of handling the tricky winds and conditions in Buffalo I wanted to see if there was any other thoughts from Phil back when Allen was drafted.

Found that article (I had not read that before either) and thought he was pretty spot on regarding both Allen and Rosen.

Yeaha...on the flip side Troy Aikman had severe concerns on draft day when the Bills traded two additional picks to draft Allen over Rosen.  He felt that you cannot teach QBs to be accurate.   Of course Allen has proved him wrong by going from 50% to 58% in his first two seasons...  So we got to take all these pundits opinions with a pinch of salt.  At the end of the day they are paid to give opinions about others. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Maybe it's just my homerism, but I see many, many QBs with wild misses throughout every season.

But those passes are typically not part of a lingering discussion because they don't fit the accepted narrative of said QB.

But that sentence is actually saying "ignore the narrative, Allen played well." 

Just now, ganesh said:

Yeaha...on the flip side Troy Aikman had severe concerns on draft day when the Bills traded two additional picks to draft Allen over Rosen.  He felt that you cannot teach QBs to be accurate.   Of course Allen has proved him wrong by going from 50% to 58% in his first two seasons...  So we got to take all these pundits opinions with a pinch of salt.  At the end of the day they are paid to give opinions about others. 

Truth, they are paid for their opinions but in hindsight I thought Phil had some keen draft day insight when it came to Rosen, and his critique of the things Allen does well and the areas he would need to work on. 

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But that sentence is actually saying "ignore the narrative, Allen played well." 

I got irrationally annoyed reading Lombardi's narrative on the game. 

Sure he threw Josh a bone, but ruined it for me when he alluded to the Daboll tailoring the game plan to short passes limiting exposing Josh's downfield accuracy issues. Followed by stating the statistic that Allen was 9/13 on throws between 10-30 yards with two that were over 20 yards.

Not sure what the point was, if anything I think there are plenty of times Allen bails Daboll out by extending plays that normally would get blown up 5 yards deep or creating offense on the fly and frankly I like that Allen is growing his game in a way where he can pick apart a defense and work clock-eating drives down the field - the rest will come.

Last thing I want from Allen is him forcing the issue and air mailing the long ball into tight coverage with safety help over top and the Jets play a lot of cover-2 . Particularly fine with him avoiding this when the Bills were doing just fine taking what they were giving up underneath. 

So yeah... taking your advice. Allen played well and I am stoked and happy as hell that we have Bills football again to break up the monotony.

Edited by WideNine

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well, if you’re like me then you’re used to people saying things about Allen that just aren’t true...it’s been that way since pre-draft.

He never had accuracy issues; he has/had an issue with stability in his lower body that is exacerbated when he rushes his throws. 

But I actually like it that the narrative continues; an angry Josh is the last thing the rest of the NFL needs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

Dude for the 10 millionth time,  comp % has nothing to do with accuracy 

Based on what I've seen,  the inaccuracy narrative started with ESPN because the guy had 56% in college and ppl ran with it 

The completion percentage and/or inaccuracy, issues what ever we want to call it were fair game for Allen to be criticized on. The list of QB's throughout NFL history that were sub 58% completion in college and turned out to be franchise QB's in the NFL is very short. I think just 2 or 3 names right? And then of course Allen comes out and completes only 52.8% of his passes as a rookie. Basically confirming everyone's doubt. Year two comes and we as Bills fans recognize the huge leap in improvement from year 1 to year 2. More TD's, less INT's, 6 point jump in completion percentage. But from an outsider's perspective Allen was still dead last in the league in completion percentage despite his large improvement in that area from year 1 to year 2.

Completion percentage has nothing to do with accuracy. Yes and no. I don't agree with some analysts now criticizing Allen for shorter air yard throws. As if that is somehow uncommon for even elite QB's to do. We all saw Brady become the GOAT living off of dink and dunk high completion percentage passes.

The problem I have with these twits mocking Allen, and really what do I care, but all they do is give more fuel to the fire for those who have had a negative opinion of Allen from day one and use one two horribly missed passes as confirmation that Allen is still a bad QB. But those people are only fooling themselves at this point so why should we really care. 

I feel like Allen is only one or two games away from being mentioned in the same breath by many in the national media as Watson and Kyler Murray. Could come as soon as this coming Monday if Allen puts up another 3+ TD 0ints 350+ total yard game where the Bills put 27+ up on the scoreboard again. 

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, if you’re like me then you’re used to people saying things about Allen that just aren’t true...it’s been that way since pre-draft.

He never had accuracy issues; he has/had an issue with stability in his lower body that is exacerbated when he rushes his throws. 

But I actually like it that the narrative continues; an angry Josh is the last thing the rest of the NFL needs.

giphy.gif