Are we better off now than we were four years ago?

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

And done  

I am here to spread left wing nonsense and divide and conquer themes because it works very well. People lose the minute they try to debate me because I will always attack identity on a superficial level while ignoring the universal ties that bind us. I hate America if I don't get paid by the tax payers at the point of a gun. Pay those taxes and obey your government or else we will act a fool.

You've chosen to ignore content by Reality Check. Options 

1 minute ago, 716er said:

Thanks - didn't realize this was an option until your post. Seeing his posts today how is that user not banned?

I feel like you already know this, but - welcome to the wild west.  Both political factions do it here; mods just avoid this cesspool.  Proceed at your own risk!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 716er said:

Thanks - didn't realize this was an option until your post. Seeing his posts today how is that user not banned?

Are you new to PPP? There are a few things that will get you banned down here including threatening other members, starting a call out thread on another member,  and a few other oddball things.  Quoting someone obnoxiously (sorry @Reality Check  it is obnoxious), trolling, posting stupidity, generally do not qualify. For that, the ignore option works the best.  Unfortunately, even if you use the ignore option you will still see it when someone else quotes the person you have on ignore.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/31/2020 at 10:05 AM, SectionC3 said:

Notice the word “we.”  I say no.  Obviously no.  Too many unnecessary, avoidable deaths.  Too much insecurity.  Too much economic malaise in the middle and lower classes.  Not enough federal leadership.  What say you?

*And I acknowledge that if the word “you” was used instead of “we,” the answer might be different for some.  If you have the money to be in the market and you know what you’re doing, you very well may be better off now.  But that’s only a fraction of Americans, and we are all in this together. So, the question remains, are “we” better off now than we were four years ago?

The economy was doing great until the Chinese released the virus - (intentionally IMHO) The US was & is trying to make most other countries play on a level playing field & stop doing things like giving more money to institutions like the UN than any other country plus they were trying to make the country more secure and still are I believe .

Given all the "politically correct BS" in the US and the hate for a Pres. that speaks his mind weather you like it or not (and sometimes i really don't) but then throw in the never Trumper's the Pres. ain't got a chance of any of the left that will say or look at any thing he does with any positive light on it . Because he's not following and won't follow the script of the crooked politicians in Washington !! 

I've told some of my friends that make it very apparent that they hate the Pres. that he could walk up to them & give them a bar of gold & they would B word that it ain't shiny enough ! 

But to those that continue to think those like Cuomo, Diblasio, Schumer along with other den run city officials like those in Portland or Seattle have your best interest at the fore front of their thought process and could do a better job is a total fantasy !! People are leaving NYC, Seattle, Portland, & Cali as fast as they can because of the great leadership in those places . 

But to answer your question as a whole yes i believe that before the virus the country was doing much better over all .

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

is bigoted and that is a fact 

Did he say white supremacy is bad? (and mean it?)

Tell everyone, please, how you are individually and especially capable of determining when Trump does or doesn't 'mean it' when he speaks against white supremacy.

Also, please provide two or three samples of him being a bigot. Try to avoid using the "very fine people" line from Charlottesville that has been repeatedly debunked.

Aaaaaaand GO!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, Brueggs said:

Who should know more about the individual needs of each state better than the local government?  A national policy doesn't take into consideration the individual needs, demographics or differing requirements.  

Your problem is that you have tunnel vision.  The hate Trump mentality limits the ability to see the forest through the trees.

Do you really believe one man is responsible for the culmination of several decades of sewing what we are seeing today?  A stronger argument can be made that this culmination of events is exactly what brought Trump into the office.  If things were going well, he wouldn't have stepped into the position.  

Disliking the way Trump conducts himself, or not liking his polices is one thing, but calling him a coward just shows a tremendous lack of understanding.  Love him, or hate him, he has taken on some of the most powerful organizations in the world, and doesn't back down.  Most of the former presidents who have taken on such groups have been on the receiving end of a bullet.  I'm pretty sure you are OK with that given the moral high ground you stand on, but its pure ignorance to suggest he is a coward.  

To summarize, you don't even understand what a national policy even means.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/31/2020 at 8:54 AM, bilzfancy said:

A stronger military then under Obama, better border security, better trade deals, NATO countries finally paying their fair share, getting out of the horrible Paris Accord and Iran deals

I like all of these things mentioned above that Trump accomplished, I like the unconventional approach to politics, it's refreshing. I don't like the name calling and news organization distrust that has started with Trump. The economy was good with Obama, it got stronger with Trump. The world over reacted to this Covid nonsense, it should have been treated like a flu epidemic, wear a mask if desired, wash your hands and otherwise life should have been normal with nothing shutdown. I'm neither a republican or democrat, I'm an American/Canadian. We would have been better off if Covid didn't happen and the global panic button wasn't pushed. That isn't Trump's fault. Its the worlds over reaction. Looking forward to the vaccine and life returning to normal.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/31/2020 at 3:34 PM, IDBillzFan said:

Pretty much. We realized nothing was going to change unless we changed it, so we developed an exit strategy of 'addition by subtraction.' Took a while, but we improved our lives far beyond anything we expected simply by putting CA in our rear-view mirror.

Truth is, not a lot of people can do it because of, usually, two things: work or family. Fortunately I can work from anywhere, and we had no family we needed to be near. We pretty much sold everything and started anew in Idaho.

Politics aside, I'm very happy for you.  It sounds like you made a great move.  I never thought of Idaho as "the place to be" but I've also never been there.  

Besides the potatoes, what do you like about Idaho (aside from the political differences or things derived from them)? 

17 hours ago, Capco said:

Besides the potatoes, what do you like about Idaho (aside from the political differences or things derived from them)? 

There are a lot of things I love about where we live, but in the end the answer is "space."

CA population is 40 million. We got very tired of people. So many people everywhere -- highways, restaurants, in house upon house upon house upon house, buying gas, buying groceries, at the DMV, picking up kids for school -- people in your face everywhere at virtually all hours.

That many people on top of each other just breeds anxiety and tension, and in general, social courtesy went away. Where I lived in OC there was a tremendous influx of Asians buying up everything, and they absolutely have no interest in socializing, so it just became a maze of people doing things without much interaction -- masks on, heads down -- but also without much patience.

Now I live on a beautiful 5 acres, closely surrounded by mountains for skiing and lakes for boating/fishing, and everyone around is on 5 acres, and I damn near live in Mayberry at this point. I exaggerate a bit, but more to the point, here's the telling difference; when the pandemic hit, the first thing everyone around us did was not run out and load up on stuff, but call each other to see what we all needed and could help with. Everyone here is patient and kind and generous to each other, everywhere you go.

Caveat: the above is my experience with CA. Many people have different experiences there and it's not to take away from that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

There are a lot of things I love about where we live, but in the end the answer is "space."

CA population is 40 million. We got very tired of people. So many people everywhere -- highways, restaurants, in house upon house upon house upon house, buying gas, buying groceries, at the DMV, picking up kids for school -- people in your face everywhere at virtually all hours.

That many people on top of each other just breeds anxiety and tension, and in general, social courtesy went away. Where I lived in OC there was a tremendous influx of Asians buying up everything, and they absolutely have no interest in socializing, so it just became a maze of people doing things without much interaction -- masks on, heads down -- but also without much patience.

Now I live on a beautiful 5 acres, closely surrounded by mountains for skiing and lakes for boating/fishing, and everyone around is on 5 acres, and I damn near live in Mayberry at this point. I exaggerate a bit, but more to the point, here's the telling difference; when the pandemic hit, the first thing everyone around us did was not run out and load up on stuff, but call each other to see what we all needed and could help with. Everyone here is patient and kind and generous to each other, everywhere you go.

Caveat: the above is my experience with CA. Many people have different experiences there and it's not to take away from that.

I’m much the same way. I put a great amount of value in common courtesy. Some of that is lost in the situations like you described above.

I grew up in a rural area and still live in one. I’ve been to cities many a time, and while they do have a certain kind of almost palpable energy about them, it’s not something that I’d enjoy living in. 

Ultimately I enjoy peace, tranquility, and space over the benefits of being packed in like a sardine (I say that nebulously but there are advantages to living in close proximity with one another).

When you know fewer people, you have more time available to really get to know those that you do know. That’s always been my philosophy on friendships and I can see how that would loosely translate to CA vs Idaho.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Capco said:

I grew up in a rural area and still live in one. I’ve been to cities many a time, and while they do have a certain kind of almost palpable energy about them, it’s not something that I’d enjoy living in. 

Same here. I grew up in a very small town in the Catskills and was sure my future belonged in the bigger cities. Was totally wrong, and didn't realize it until most of my career was behind me.

At least I figured it out before I died, and was able to do something about it.

• Like (+1) 1