Masai Ujiri Prevented by police from taking the court moments after the Raptors win the NBA title

ChevyVanMiller

Maybe this needs to be moved to the PPP board, but can you imagine something like that happening to Brandon Beane moments after the Bills win the Super Bowl? Me either.

Shawn King - Aug 19th

Let me tell you what you are looking at because police have blocked this video from being released for a whole damn year.
The brilliant Black man in the suit is Masai Ujiri - the team President of the Toronto Raptors - and literally the single most respected, in demand leader in sports right now.
His team just won the NBA Championship. They are in Oakland after defeating the Warriors. As he gets ready to walk on to the court to celebrate - and shows his badge - Alameda County Sheriff Alan Strickland then repeatedly shoves the hell out of Masai Ujiri.
BUT GET THIS. He then sues Masai Ujiri and says it was Masai Ujiri who approached him and assaulted him! And, to no surprise, even though they had this body camera footage, the local police backed their officer and lied for him for months on end and went out of their way to make sure nobody saw this footage.
Can you imagine? This was supposed to be the highlight of this man's professional career and he has to deal with this *****? INFURIATING.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

It's maddening.    Just so damn maddening.

I hope this video burns Strickland to the ground...

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/08/18/new-video-appears-to-show-alameda-sheriffs-deputy-initiated-scuffle-with-raptors-president-after-warriors-nba-finals-loss/

"...In February, Strickland decided to sue Ujiri for assault, battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and two counts of negligence, alleging that he had suffered “physical, mental, emotional and economic” injuries in the confrontation’s wake.

In a statement Wednesday, sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Ray Kelly said the department had closed out its part in the case last July after an investigation that drew on resources from Oakland police and the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office. Kelly distinguished between the public case, which ended with a citation hearing last November, and the private matter of Strickland’s suit against Ujiri.

“There’s been a snippet of video released publicly that doesn’t tell the story of the entire investigation,” Kelly said. “That story will have to come out through the process. We stand by our original statements.”

Kelly confirmed that Strickland remains employed by the department and said the deputy is on leave recovering from injuries sustained during the incident.

Mastagni Holstedt founder David P. Mastagni told this news organization in June 2019 that, “This is an unprovoked significant hit to the jaw, causing a serious concussion, a temporal mandibular joint injury, a serious jaw injury. The officer is off-work, disabled and wants to get back to work.”

https://www.ktvu.com/news/new-video-sheriffs-deputy-the-undeniably-initial-aggressor-in-toronto-raptors-shoving-match

"But in February, Strickland filed a federal lawsuit against Ujiri, the Raptors, Maple Leaf Entertainment at the NBA alleging Ujiri shoved him so hard on the court that he suffered physical injuries to his head, jaw, chin and teeth.

Strickland also filed a workers' compensation claim alleging Ujiri “circumvented” the security checkpoint and then tried to “storm” the court and “hit him in the face and chest with both fists.” 

Strickland also claimed Ujiri had a “violent predisposition” and acted with an “evil motive amounting to malice,” according to his suit and workers' compensation claims. 

Neither Strickland, who has not been back to work in more than a year,  nor his attorney, David Mastagni, were available for immediate comment. 

Even more WTF:

"Strickland's past criminal history is also troubling, legal analysts have said.  

In March, KTVU broke an exclusive story revealing that in 1994, Strickland was arrested and later convicted of insurance fraud, raising questions about his integrity." 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The cop is a scammer too

Deputy who sued Toronto Raptors president after altercation was convicted of insurance fraud

https://www.ktvu.com/news/deputy-who-sued-toronto-raptors-president-after-altercation-was-convicted-of-insurance-fraud

Years before he got into an altercation with a Toronto Raptors executive after the team beat the Golden State Warriors in the NBA finals at Oracle Arena, an Alameda County Sheriff’s deputy was arrested and convicted of insurance fraud.

But even with all that. The body cam footage, the arena footage, the knowing he is a convicted scammer/liar/fraud, lets see what the Police Department has to say about it...

Oh, ok.

And folks wonder why there are protests demanding police reform.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i could understand the defence that the security guard could say he didn't see the badge/pass, watching that video you see him taking something out of his pocket but its not clear whats on it. At that point, just apologize and say 'I didn't see his pass and he was trying to walk onto the court that I am told not to let anyone on'. Not everyone knows exactly what every front office executive in the league looks like and he had the pass in the pocket of his coat, he wasn't wearing it where it was visible.

What I don't see in the video is where the security guard gets pushed that sends him flying to the ground so hard to cause serious injury. He gets shoved, but the shove doesn't even look as hard as the shoves he gave before it. These are the problems with unions, it doesn't matter how much evidence there is against you in most cases, If your a member they defend you to the death no matter how stupid it makes them look for doing it.

I heard something quickly on the news too, I don't know if it was during his first fraud issue thats come out or this time, but theres either photos or videos of him off work due to his injuries where he is out building something swinging a hammer.

• Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

i could understand the defence that the security guard could say he didn't see the badge/pass, watching that video you see him taking something out of his pocket but its not clear whats on it. At that point, just apologize and say 'I didn't see his pass and he was trying to walk onto the court that I am told not to let anyone on'. Not everyone knows exactly what every front office executive in the league looks like and he had the pass in the pocket of his coat, he wasn't wearing it where it was visible.

What I don't see in the video is where the security guard gets pushed that sends him flying to the ground so hard to cause serious injury. He gets shoved, but the shove doesn't even look as hard as the shoves he gave before it. These are the problems with unions, it doesn't matter how much evidence there is against you in most cases, If your a member they defend you to the death no matter how stupid it makes them look for doing it.

I heard something quickly on the news too, I don't know if it was during his first fraud issue thats come out or this time, but theres either photos or videos of him off work due to his injuries where he is out building something swinging a hammer.

I worked “security” (you gotta see me, it’s pretty funny) at a wrestling tournament a few years ago.  Higher end tourney, lots of teams, a mix of organized chaos, youthful exuberance and pretty intense coaches and parents. 

My job per the organizer was to lock down the door, nobody in/out my station, which was the closest door on the hockey rink/field house to food stations and bathroom.  Anyway, it amazed me how many guys tried to beat the system.  They would run late for a match and test security!  They would not want to go all the way around and test security!  Everyone had an excuse, everyone a story, and more then once I had to flex the pipe cleaners to shut it down.  

I understanding the kids trying it, and I’m a sucker for kids so more than a few breached security to get to the bathroom.  At one point the organizer came over and gave me the business for letting the kids out, I just told him next time to put me on registration or tossing bags of Fritos.

I can’t imagine wtf it would be like in a situation like this.  Seems the league didn’t have a very organized system for getting people where they needed to be. To me it looks like a couple dopey guys butting heads, and the obligatory and perhaps pathetic lawsuit to follow.   Big picture, it’s a shame that Ujiri had this awesome moment at least partially derailed by something so easy to avoid. 

• Like (+1) 1

That cop had this planned.  The way he pushed him (twice) is clearly him begging for Ujiri to punch him in the face.  He wasn't being a cop.  He was being an instigator.  And in the end ... a kitty.  Missing a year from work after being pushed.  Yeah.  That's one tough cop, right there.  Wuss.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I worked “security” (you gotta see me, it’s pretty funny) at a wrestling tournament a few years ago.  Higher end tourney, lots of teams, a mix of organized chaos, youthful exuberance and pretty intense coaches and parents. 

My job per the organizer was to lock down the door, nobody in/out my station, which was the closest door on the hockey rink/field house to food stations and bathroom.  Anyway, it amazed me how many guys tried to beat the system.  They would run late for a match and test security!  They would not want to go all the way around and test security!  Everyone had an excuse, everyone a story, and more then once I had to flex the pipe cleaners to shut it down.  

I understanding the kids trying it, and I’m a sucker for kids so more than a few breached security to get to the bathroom.  At one point the organizer came over and gave me the business for letting the kids out, I just told him next time to put me on registration or tossing bags of Fritos.

I can’t imagine wtf it would be like in a situation like this.  Seems the league didn’t have a very organized system for getting people where they needed to be. To me it looks like a couple dopey guys butting heads, and the obligatory and perhaps pathetic lawsuit to follow.   Big picture, it’s a shame that Ujiri had this awesome moment at least partially derailed by something so easy to avoid. 

Couple of dopey guys butting heads? One is the President of the Toronto Raptors, whose team had just won the NBA Championship, who was trying to take his rightful place to celebrate with his players on the court. The other was a clueless security person, who couldn't imagine a well-dressed black man being an NBA upper executive and actually shoved him twice to prevent him from gaining access to the court. Sheesh...

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

5 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Couple of dopey guys butting heads? One is the President of the Toronto Raptors, whose team had just won the NBA Championship, who was trying to take his rightful place to celebrate with his players on the court. The other was a clueless security person, who couldn't imagine a well-dressed black man being an NBA upper executive and actually shoved him twice to prevent him from gaining access to the court. Sheesh...

If the security guy knew the other guy was “the President of the Toronto Raptors, whose team had just won the NBA Championship, who was trying to take his rightful place to celebrate with his players on the court“ and just wanted to mess with him, we agree. 

If he didn’t, it seems to me he was security doing security $&@$, though in a pretty dopey way.  Being a “well dressed black man” really has nothing to do with it if he had no idea who the guy was.   It appeared to me they were both shoving each other for a bit, which is the dopey part imo.

It appeared  to be a series of unfortunate events...poor planning by NBA (all the key players should be identified and a process to get them on the court established in advance),  the prez with his badge in his pocket where no one could see it, then understandably trying to rush through security, and the security guard blocking the wrong guy at the wrong time.

6 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

That's what it looks like to me.  The exec had plenty of time to take out his badge and have it ready to show and could have avoided the incident by doing so.  Instead he acted like a big shot and tried to just brush past security.  The security guard reacted like a jerk and escalated it unnecessarily.

But thanks for the super refreshing 'racism' take.  I'm sure a guy who works security for the NBA has never seen a black guy in a suit before.  :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Is life better when you are “outraged”?

I echo above sentiments. Based on this video, looks like a couple boneheads in a power pissing match. Something to be outraged over? Hardly.

And, LOL at Shaun King. I’m actually surprised I read past his name. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I echo above sentiments. Based on this video, looks like a couple boneheads in a power pissing match. Something to be outraged over? Hardly.

And, LOL at Shaun King. I’m actually surprised I read past his name. 

I tend to agree with a lot of what you post, Sig.  This one, though ... I cannot.

What did Ujiri do that was boneheaded.  He calmly walked toward the court, calmly reached in to show his credentials, then was pushed twice before defending himself.

If those were all of the details, I'd characterize it as ONE bonehead and Ujiri.  No outrage warranted.

When the bonehead is also a cop?  I'm not gonna say anyone should be outraged, per se.  But it's a much different story.  

That guy is not a police officer.  He's a pig.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I tend to agree with a lot of what you post, Sig.  This one, though ... I cannot.

What did Ujiri do that was boneheaded.  He calmly walked toward the court, calmly reached in to show his credentials, then was pushed twice before defending himself.

If those were all of the details, I'd characterize it as ONE bonehead and Ujiri.  No outrage warranted.

When the bonehead is also a cop?  I'm not gonna say anyone should be outraged, per se.  But it's a much different story.  

That guy is not a police officer.  He's a pig.

When you watch the “aerial” footage, you see him try to push by the cop before the cop could even get a look at his credentials. Thats where he was boneheaded in this incident, IMO. When he tried to push by the cop, it looks like thats when the cop pushes back.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

When you watch the “aerial” footage, you see him try to push by the cop before the cop could even get a look at his credentials. Thats where he was boneheaded in this incident, IMO. When he tried to push by the cop, it looks like thats when the cop pushes back.

I just looked again and I simply don't see it that way.  I see a pig eyeing down his payday and trying to set up a lawsuit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I can't imagine, but for so many people it appears to be what they do to deal with either the boredom or the frustration of ordinary life.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I just looked again and I simply don't see it that way.  I see a pig eyeing down his payday and trying to set up a lawsuit.

Eh, maybe? You think he sees this as an opportunity to set this guy up in front of an arena with 15000 witnesses, with a lot of them recording footage? He’s the biggest dummy on Earth, if thats the case. Maybe he is, I guess..

3 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Eh, maybe? You think he sees this as an opportunity to set this guy up in front of an arena with 15000 witnesses, with a lot of them recording footage? He’s the biggest dummy on Earth, if thats the case. Maybe he is, I guess..

Given his past and also given the fact that he's not returned to work after such a heinous, brutal, savage assault at the hands of Ujiri, I am confident that he's just a moron looking to get rich without working for it.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gugny said:

Given his past and also given the fact that he's not returned to work after such a heinous, brutal, savage assault at the hands of Ujiri, I am confident that he's just a moron looking to get rich without working for it.

Well, given that he was at an NBA game and couldnt even have paid attention enough to flop, I think that part of it was likely hatched after the fact.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

If the security guy knew the other guy was “the President of the Toronto Raptors, whose team had just won the NBA Championship, who was trying to take his rightful place to celebrate with his players on the court“ and just wanted to mess with him, we agree. 

If he didn’t, it seems to me he was security doing security $&@$, though in a pretty dopey way.  Being a “well dressed black man” really has nothing to do with it if he had no idea who the guy was.   It appeared to me they were both shoving each other for a bit, which is the dopey part imo.

It appeared  to be a series of unfortunate events...poor planning by NBA (all the key players should be identified and a process to get them on the court established in advance),  the prez with his badge in his pocket where no one could see it, then understandably trying to rush through security, and the security guard blocking the wrong guy at the wrong time.

there’s blocking and then there’s aggressively shoving while turning around and claiming you were attacked and going on disability for over a year while suing the guy you aggressively shoved.

unless something drastic missed video, we don’t always have to hyper analyze every error of both sides when one is so far over the line 

3 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

And yet here we are with people defending him 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

there’s blocking and then there’s aggressively shoving while turning around and claiming you were attacked and going on disability for over a year while suing the guy you aggressively shoved.

unless something drastic missed video, we don’t always have to hyper analyze every error of both sides when one is so far over the line 

And yet here we are with people defending him 

I agree, hyperanalysis makes little sense here.  If I was hyperanalyzing I would wonder why they had security in the first place, what instructions were given to the security guards(s) at their stations, what instructions were given to participants in the program, why they issued name badges, whether or not the badges were supposed to be worn at all times and displayed for the safety of all participants, whether or not keeping the badge in your suit coat pocket was part of the standard operating procedure and whether or not security guards were advised to accept a participant simply stating ‘it’s in my pocket” as a password to let someone pass, and including post-incident declass as it relates to the incident at hand and civil litigation that follows, nor analysis about one of the participants involved in insurance fraud in 1994.   

I would also think security was very important at this event, something taken seriously.  Finally, in the chaos and hubbub of a world championship,  I would think it could be a confusing place to be. 

That’s why I looked at this simply.  Had the security guard simply asked who the other guy was, and/or had the president had his badge on, or stopped and said ‘I’m Masai Ujiri and I’m the President of the club!” or God forbid the NBA had people in place to escort him to center court, none of this would have happened. Hence “dopey”.

The security guard could be a total weasel, and Ujiri a type A get the &)&& out of my way guy, I have no idea (though I agree the lawsuit is likely bs).   

I certainly can understand Ujiri being thrilled and excited and wanting to get to the place he earned the right to be,  but it seems to me a series of unfortunate events.   It’s a shame that was tarnished in this way. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I agree, hyperanalysis makes little sense here.  If I was hyperanalyzing I would wonder why they had security in the first place, what instructions were given to the security guards(s) at their stations, what instructions were given to participants in the program, why they issued name badges, whether or not the badges were supposed to be worn at all times and displayed for the safety of all participants, whether or not keeping the badge in your suit coat pocket was part of the standard operating procedure and whether or not security guards were advised to accept a participant simply stating ‘it’s in my pocket” as a password to let someone pass, and including post-incident declass as it relates to the incident at hand and civil litigation that follows, nor analysis about one of the participants involved in insurance fraud in 1994.   

I would also think security was very important at this event, something taken seriously.  Finally, in the chaos and hubbub of a world championship,  I would think it could be a confusing place to be. 

That’s why I looked at this simply.  Had the security guard simply asked who the other guy was, and/or had the president had his badge on, or stopped and said ‘I’m Masai Ujiri and I’m the President of the club!” or God forbid the NBA had people in place to escort him to center court, none of this would have happened. Hence “dopey”.

The security guard could be a total weasel, and Ujiri a type A get the &)&& out of my way guy, I have no idea (though I agree the lawsuit is likely bs).   

I certainly can understand Ujiri being thrilled and excited and wanting to get to the place he earned the right to be,  but it seems to me a series of unfortunate events.   It’s a shame that was tarnished in this way. 

I did VIP event security for a multi year stretch once upon a time and will say I have never personally or seen a colleague lead with a 2 arm push to a guy pulling out credentials. I on the other hand saw dozens of VIPs not wanting to wear a lanyard with a fat name tag on it (both for privacy and vanity). 

short of something egregious being off tape- one party behaved very normal (even if a bit outside the rules) and one was very abnormal (despite having much higher training as a professional officer)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I did VIP event security for a multi year stretch once upon a time and will say I have never personally or seen a colleague lead with a 2 arm push to a guy pulling out credentials. I on the other hand saw dozens of VIPs not wanting to wear a lanyard with a fat name tag on it (both for privacy and vanity). 

short of something egregious being off tape- one party behaved very normal (even if a bit outside the rules) and one was very abnormal (despite having much higher training as a professional officer)

This is why I like this board.  Your experience offers me something to consider beyond the scope of my own. 

That said— your original post correctly suggested there was no need to over-analyze, and the reference to lanyard management was only in response to that comment.  I truly understand why he would prefer it be stuck away —on the other hand maybe things play out differently if it wasn’t.  My 60 second read of a 120 second interaction remains the same as it did at first, but I appreciate the dialogue. 

17 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

This is why I like this board.  Your experience offers me something to consider beyond the scope of my own. 

That said— your original post correctly suggested there was no need to over-analyze, and the reference to lanyard management was only in response to that comment.  I truly understand why he would prefer it be stuck away —on the other hand maybe things play out differently if it wasn’t.  My 60 second read of a 120 second interaction remains the same as it did at first, but I appreciate the dialogue. 

rarely do these incidents happen if even one party is diligently following protocol. That much we agree on. 

and rarely do we have the whole story so I’m always a little hesitant to push the chips all in on the specific incident. 

but always interested in the broad strokes debate of things like the societal norms and expectations and how people react. I admittedly err on the side of high expectations for those in positions of authority, and trying to apply common sense to what’s normal behavior... so this is a bit of a honey pot for me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/22/2020 at 11:27 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

The other was a clueless security person, who couldn't imagine a well-dressed black man being an NBA upper executive and actually shoved him twice to prevent him from gaining access to the court. Sheesh...

"Well dressed black man? Seriously? Don't you think that the implication there is that being "well dressed" would seem to paint him as an exception? Also, the term in itself (aside from being racist) is really quite subject to opinion, wouldn't you agree?

"Well spoken" is another backhanded compliment that some folks use to describe an intelligent black person.

Oh, and all of us know other famous code words such as "good neighborhood" and "good schools." 

Please don't misunderstand....I am in NO WAY accusing you of racism.

I will say that the term "well dressed" was already being frowned upon in the 70's.

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

"Well dressed black man? Seriously? Don't you think that the implication there is that being "well dressed" would seem to paint him as an exception? Also, the term in itself (aside from being racist) is really quite subject to opinion, wouldn't you agree?

"Well spoken" is another backhanded compliment that some folks use to describe an intelligent black person.

Oh, and all of us know other famous code words such as "good neighborhood" and "good schools." 

Please don't misunderstand....I am in NO WAY accusing you of racism.

I will say that the term "well dressed" was already being frowned upon in the 70's.

I was simply trying to point out that he wasn’t dressed like a fan, in a jersey or in jeans. He was in a tailored suit and was at court side, maybe that should have clued in the security guard to ask who he was before he started shoving him. My choice of words could have been better for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here's a tip for y'all: don't try to get past armed security without showing your credentials.

And don't be incompetent and socially inept if you're gonna work security at a major sporting event.

This ***** isn't hard, people.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I was simply trying to point out that he wasn’t dressed like a fan, in a jersey or in jeans. He was in a tailored suit and was at court side, maybe that should have clued in the security guard to ask who he was before he started shoving him. My choice of words could have been better for sure.

He wasn't "at courtside" he came walking down from his box seats. A security guard standing at court side is watching a bunch of people around courtside with the job of 'preventing people from getting onto the court unless they are permitted to be there's. How do they know who's allowed to be there? By their passes given to them that they are supposed to show to get to restricted areas. Masi didn't stop to take out his pass and show it to security, he kept walking will taking it out of his pocket so he he was pushed back by security.

Both of these guys acted wrong in this situation. Masi wouldn't have been blocked if he just had his pass displayed while walking into the court. The security guard appeared to decided to try and milk the incident and try to take advantage committing fraud.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

He wasn't "at courtside" he came walking down from his box seats. A security guard standing at court side is watching a bunch of people around courtside with the job of 'preventing people from getting onto the court unless they are permitted to be there's. How do they know who's allowed to be there? By their passes given to them that they are supposed to show to get to restricted areas. Masi didn't stop to take out his pass and show it to security, he kept walking will taking it out of his pocket so he he was pushed back by security.

Both of these guys acted wrong in this situation. Masi wouldn't have been blocked if he just had his pass displayed while walking into the court. The security guard appeared to decided to try and milk the incident and try to take advantage committing fraud.

We're going top have to agree to disagree on this one. Mr. Ujiri is maybe the most well-known and well-respected Team President is the NBA. Especially last year after he pulled the trigger on the Kawhi Leonard trade, he was considered a wizard (familiar?) of wheeling and dealing. He was profiled at halftime of one of the games of those finals. He had just led his team and city to their very first championship, beating the prohibitive favorites on their own court no less.

At that moment, as he steps forward to take his rightful place on the court with his team, he becomes the only known Team President in the history of team sports to be forceably shoved away by security. Now, the question you have to ask yourself is: Would the same thing have happened if he was white? For me the answer to that question is clear.

If you aren't swayed by my argument maybe you will be by the reaction of the Warriors President Rick Welts who said, "To my personal and professional friend Masai Ujiri," Welts published to his Twitter account. "I am heartbroken seeing the video of what should have been the happiest professional moment of your life. It's hard to watch and to know all that swirled around you in the aftermath."

He then went on to say, "While we had no role in hiring or managing security at our old arena, it happened at a Warriors game and for that I apologize," Welts said in the statement. "You rose above it which doesn't surprise me or anyone who knows you."

Nowhere in those comments can one feel the sentiment that he felt it was just "two knuckleheads" butting up against one another.

22 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Would the same thing have happened if he was white? For me the answer to that question is clear.

Must be nice being clairvoyant. 

I wonder what sort of dumb ***** we’d find in your past if we had the same sixth sense that you do. Would it be enough to get you cancelled? For me the answer to that question is clear. 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

It's all good. I only mentioned it because I have been hearing complaints about this type of remark for decades. I also think that most people who say this (and especially in your case) do not mean it as a racial slight, but; I also see how it can be taken as one.

You're very articulate.

21 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I wonder what sort of dumb ***** we’d find in your past if we had the same sixth sense that you do. Would it be enough to get you cancelled? For me the answer to that question is clear. 

You mad, bro?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

I've got plenty of character flaws, but racism isn't one of them. Look at the character of the man you are defending. In 1994, he was arrested and charged with felony insurance fraud and making false statements. After the incident with Ujiri he claimed he had "suffered injury to his body, health, strength, activity and person" causing him "great mental, emotional, psychological, physical, and nervous pain and suffering." He filed a worker's comp claim and collected for a year.

Also, here is a video showing him politely interacting with fans before the altercation. What changed his demeanor so dramatically. I'm no clairvoyant, but, as Bob Dylan so eloquently stated, "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

1 minute ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I've got plenty of character flaws, but racism isn't one of them. Look at the character of the man you are defending. In 1994, he was arrested and charged with felony insurance fraud and making false statements. After the incident with Ujiri he claimed he had "suffered injury to his body, health, strength, activity and person" causing him "great mental, emotional, psychological, physical, and nervous pain and suffering." He filed a worker's comp claim and collected for a year.

Also, here is a video showing him politely interacting with fans before the altercation. What changed his demeanor so dramatically. I'm no clairvoyant, but, as Bob Dylan so eloquently stated, "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

I'm not saying the dude is a stand-up guy, but you're awful thin on evidence of racism here.  If your sentiments run somewhere near "***** 12" you can just say it man, I won't be offended.

What changed his demeanor could easily be "this prick in a suit is trying to push past me I'm Mr. Super Tough Man hear me roar" but hey Occam's Razor doesn't fly here on TBD.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I'm not saying the dude is a stand-up guy, but you're awful thin on evidence of racism here.  If your sentiments run somewhere near "***** 12" you can just say it man, I won't be offended.

What changed his demeanor could easily be "this prick in a suit is trying to push past me I'm Mr. Super Tough Man hear me roar" but hey Occam's Razor doesn't fly here on TBD.

I definitely think it’s too much to declare it definitively racism. 

I do think there are red flags that warrant the question.

i do think the two arm shove instead of simply breaking his path with an arm or stepping in the path a bit earlier is a pretty big flub here. It was far to confrontational for the moment and setting. He’s guarding a section of seats that were very high dollar, not trying to stop an advancing angry mob. You can lead with some tact. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I definitely think it’s too much to declare it definitively racism. 

I do think there are red flags that warrant the question.

Here's a puzzler for you: why is it that the public is supposed to "question" whether or not somebody who did something dumb is racist?  Why is it suddenly en vogue to label people as racist based on 15 seconds of video?  Who actually benefits from it?

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

i do think the two arm shove instead of simply breaking his path with an arm or stepping in the path a bit earlier is a pretty big flub here. It was far to confrontational for the moment and setting. He’s guarding a section of seats that were very high dollar, not trying to stop an advancing angry mob. You can lead with some tact. 

Yeah it's pretty telling this dude doesn't have even the basic social awareness necessary to be doing that job, much less the other skills required.

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

We're going top have to agree to disagree on this one. Mr. Ujiri is maybe the most well-known and well-respected Team President is the NBA. Especially last year after he pulled the trigger on the Kawhi Leonard trade, he was considered a wizard (familiar?) of wheeling and dealing. He was profiled at halftime of one of the games of those finals. He had just led his team and city to their very first championship, beating the prohibitive favorites on their own court no less.

At that moment, as he steps forward to take his rightful place on the court with his team, he becomes the only known Team President in the history of team sports to be forceably shoved away by security. Now, the question you have to ask yourself is: Would the same thing have happened if he was white? For me the answer to that question is clear.

If you aren't swayed by my argument maybe you will be by the reaction of the Warriors President Rick Welts who said, "To my personal and professional friend Masai Ujiri," Welts published to his Twitter account. "I am heartbroken seeing the video of what should have been the happiest professional moment of your life. It's hard to watch and to know all that swirled around you in the aftermath."

He then went on to say, "While we had no role in hiring or managing security at our old arena, it happened at a Warriors game and for that I apologize," Welts said in the statement. "You rose above it which doesn't surprise me or anyone who knows you."

Nowhere in those comments can one feel the sentiment that he felt it was just "two knuckleheads" butting up against one another.

The only reason I know what he looks like is because I live close to Toronto and seen him on TV a bunch of times. 

I can't say I know what the president of any of the California teams look like or could pick out of a crowd the president of the majority of sports teams.

Wouldn't it be racist if he just let him walk right by without seeing a pass just because he was a 'Well Dressed Black Man' so he must be an important part of one of the teams front office?

Of course the other teams president is going to be sympathetic in that situation, it happened at his team facility. What else is he going to say? "Should have had your pass on bro!"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Here's a puzzler for you: why is it that the public is supposed to "question" whether or not somebody who did something dumb is racist?  Why is it suddenly en vogue to label people as racist based on 15 seconds of video?  Who actually benefits from it?

Yeah it's pretty telling this dude doesn't have even the basic social awareness necessary to be doing that job, much less the other skills required.

I guess warrants maybe overstates. Justifies? I think it’s fine to ask, but don’t think you have to. Especially in this particular clip.

I don’t think it’s super productive to hyper analyze every interaction but I do think broad strokes understanding that junk behavior and racist actions happen are generally better than pretending it’s not a thing. Plenty of folks out there pretend racism is dead and I think that’s likewise not good. So there’s a middle ground where we can see and acknowledge it and hopefully grow.

• Like (+1) 1