The Tuuka Rask situation...

Special K

The Tuuka Rask situation......  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How would Bills fans react if a Bills player did this?

• Forgive him.
    • Boo him the first chance you get, then forgive him.
    • Not forgive him, and want him to be traded/released.

On 8/15/2020 at 12:19 PM, Special K said:

I completely respect the idea of any player opting out of the season before it starts, but this guy basically quits on his team in the middle of the playoffs. I just can't see how his teammates or Bruins fans will ever forgive this guy for this.

If you listen to the interview Rask gave after the last game, he basically said he wasn't taking it seriously and it wasn't really a playoff atmosphere and he didn't really care. A sentiment his teammates promptly shot down.

I'm sure the team asked him to leave after his comments but allowed him to try to save face by letting him "opt out to be with his family". What do you guys think, and how would you react if a Bills player did this?

St. Louis Blues' Ryan O'Reilly stuns ESPYs crowd by removing front ...

54 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Or maybe he was torn between his obligations to his teammates/job and his responsibility to his family.  That seems a whole lot more likely than anything else, especially since his family is the reason he gave and the empty stadiums angle is just speculation. 

He could have left before the playoff round began (they were stinking it up anyway)--not after game 2 of the first round.  He said the games were "dull" and like "exhibition games".

Nice for his teammates (also with young families on the other side of the bubble) to hear that he was too bored with the format to go on....

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He could have left before the playoff round began (they were stinking it up anyway)--not after game 2 of the first round.  He said the games were "dull" and like "exhibition games".

Nice for his teammates (also with young families on the other side of the bubble) to hear that he was too bored with the format to go on....

Yeah, you’re right.  It was probably the boredom of playing in front of no fans and had nothing to do with him being away from his newborn child, wife and the rest of his children.  Jeebus. 

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Yeah, you’re right.  It was probably the boredom of playing in front of no fans and had nothing to do with him being away from his newborn child, wife and the rest of his children.  Jeebus. 

He's the only player who left the bubble.  3 days before he left, he spoke publicly.  He did not mention struggles of being away from his family---he instead said what I quoted.  

Had he not said those weird words dyas before, no one would question his motivation for leaving in the middle or a playoff series.  

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's the only player who left the bubble.  3 days before he left, he spoke publicly.  He did not mention struggles of being away from his family---he instead said what I quoted.  

Had he not said those weird words dyas before, no one would question his motivation for leaving in the middle or a playoff series.  

He was answering a reporter’s questions when he said that.  That’s being ignored by many.  The reporter didn’t ask about his family.  He could’ve lied and given a canned answer like most every player and coach.  He probably should have.

But it’s certainly possible that he was truthful to the reporter about the game atmosphere as well as in his statement as to why he left.

Heck, it seems way more likely to me that a guy who’s stressing about not being with his newborn, wife who just recently gave birth and other children would let things like no fans at games get under his skin rather than a guy simply getting pissy about no fans at games using his family as an excuse not to play. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The question was "how would Bill fans" react, not how you would react.  To think the majority of "Bills Fans" wont be at the guy with pitchforks is laugahble.

Buffalo fans ran a guy out of town that got dragged down by a team being ok with losing.

"“We’re stuck in this mindset of just, you know, being OK with losing,” he said. “It’s really crept into myself… I feel throughout the year I’ve lost, lost the love of the game multiple times.”

To think they they wouldn't burn a guy at the stake who quit the team during the playoffs is preposterous.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Buffalo fans ran a guy out of town that got dragged down by a team being ok with losing.

"“We’re stuck in this mindset of just, you know, being OK with losing,” he said. “It’s really crept into myself… I feel throughout the year I’ve lost, lost the love of the game multiple times.”

To think they they wouldn't burn a guy at the stake who quit the team during the playoffs is preposterous.  

Just look at the Tre White thread. And he was only considering opting out prior to the season starting, not in the middle of a playoff series. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/15/2020 at 3:18 PM, KD in CA said:

Boston fans are well known for their patience and having measured responses to athletes who disappoint them, so I expect he'll be warmly received both in the community and on the ice next season.

It's called the Buckner Understanding.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://nypost.com/2020/08/19/daughters-medical-emergency-pushed-tuukka-rask-out-of-nhl-bubble/
‘Daughter’s ‘medical emergency’ pushed Tuukka Rask out of NHL bubble‘

“I can tell you that he got a phone call in the bubble from his wife, because there was a medical emergency with their daughter. Basically the kind of situation where I believe Tuukka Rask did what every parent would do and was obviously very concerned. It was suggested they seek medical help. Without revealing what that was, because I think I probably should leave that to him — he did tell me — as a father of two kids, I would be panicked and alarmed upon hearing that about a young kid.”

Cant blame Rask at all if that’s what happened. I’d certainly do the same thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1