Brian Daboll interview 8/14

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hot seat year for this dude...

I'd say it's probably his last year here. Either he does good in which case the Bills do very well and he gets picked up as HC for another team, or he doesn't get it together and the Bills look to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

I'd say it's probably his last year here. Either he does good in which case the Bills do very well and he gets picked up as HC for another team, or he doesn't get it together and the Bills look to move on.

He’s been a dud at every stop as OC.  He has no excuses this year.

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes it went from piss poor to pedestrian.... yes or no?

it improved, that’s the point. It should improve again this year. Starting over with a new coordinator makes no sense right now. 

19 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Houston Playoff game ..   The Bills were on the 42 yard line and in FG range indoors

Instead of Trying the attempt .... 

4th and 27 call a pass play?. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/1/4/21050009/texans-bills-playoff-win-explained-josh-allen-deshaun-watson

So lack of execution is on the OC? So the choice to pass instead of kick is on the OC? So with 4th and 2 on the 42 you want to kick a long FG? 

Edited by fansince88

2 hours ago, eball said:

If McD had fired Daboll after last season pretty much nobody in NFL circles would have said “I understand that move.”

Unless they watched the Texans game...

Edited by Mr. WEO

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unless they watched the Texans game...

True.  I mean, the way Daboll dropped that TD pass, the way he didn't get his feet in bounds, the way he missed a block to spring Allen -- those were all terrible play calls.  Let's look at one sequence in a game and crucify the playcaller.

• Like (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, eball said:

True.  I mean, the way Daboll dropped that TD pass, the way he didn't get his feet in bounds, the way he missed a block to spring Allen -- those were all terrible play calls.  Let's look at one sequence in a game and crucify the playcaller.

Don't forget about that horrible penalty he called on Cody Ford for his bump of block that fell way short of the "forcible" threshold that the rule requires.  

The poor LB drops on 3rd and 17 plus the failure to even attempt to wrap up Watson by two unblocked defenders on the game deciding play were bad Daboll calls as well.

Actually though, it's a good thing so many players can say they screwed up in that game.  They all can share in the collective blame and still have confidence in their coaching leadership.  Humbled by failure on a big stage and hungry to be coached to improve is a good way to start the 2020 season.

Daboll has done a pretty good job so far but I hope he can adjust 2 things this season.

1.  Stick with things that are working until the opposing D proves they can stop it.

2.  Don't be afraid to abandon plays that are consistently be stopped by the opposing D.

I know it sounds simple but sometimes I think these coordinators can't see the forest for the trees.

2 hours ago, eball said:

It was the last 1 1/2 Quaters in the most important game in his career where he couldn’t protect a 3 score shutout lead. 

if you think that if the Bills has the same offensive output with this years roster or the same wildcard result, Daboll keeps  his job then you have no confidence in the intelligence of Beane and McD

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

if you think that if the Bills has the same offensive output with this years roster or the same wildcard result, Daboll keeps  his job then you have no confidence in the intelligence of Beane and McD

Why in the world would I expect the same results this year?

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So you agree that if its not a better outcome, he is gone.  We agree then.

I really don’t know who you’re arguing with.  I’ve said pretty consistently I expect the offense to improve this season.

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So you agree that if its not a better outcome, he is gone.  We agree then.

For sure. The window for Daboll to still be here in 2021 is pretty small. If Allen takes another significant step and the Bills have a top 10/12 offense he is likely gone to a team with a young QB that they drafted this year or will draft next year as Head Coach. If the Bills remain worse than about 18th best offense in the league or Josh plateaus / regresses then the Bills will fire him and move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, eball said:

I really don’t know who you’re arguing with.  I’ve said pretty consistently I expect the offense to improve this season.

And if it's not?  Simple question.

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For sure. The window for Daboll to still be here in 2021 is pretty small. If Allen takes another significant step and the Bills have a top 10/12 offense he is likely gone to a team with a young QB that they drafted this year or will draft next year as Head Coach. If the Bills remain worse than about 18th best offense in the league or Josh plateaus / regresses then the Bills will fire him and move on. 

If the Bills are top 10 Offense, he stays.  No one is going to make this guy a HC for that.