8/1 - 8/9: The days between.

Logic

Jerry Garcia was born on August 1st, 1942 and died on August 9, 1995. The eight days from August 1st through August 9th are thus called “the days between” by Deadheads and are a great excuse to listen to and immerse ourselves in all things Grateful Dead (as if we needed an excuse).

So, fellow Deadheads, what are YOU listening to at the moment?

Personally, I’ve been immersed in the Europe ‘72 tour. All 22 shows from this tour are available in their full length, crystal clear glory on Spotify. I’ve been listening to each one in chronological order for some weeks now. Up to 5/13 in Lille, France as we speak. Favorites so far are 4/14 in Denmark, 5/7 in Wigan, England, and 5/3 in Paris, France. Listening to an entire tour like this has given me a new respect and level of appreciation for the nuances of the music. I feel like I’m getting my doctorate in Dead-ology.

Certainly this tour has an undeniable magic. It’s Pigpen’s last stand, Keith is at his all time best and most creative, Phil and Bobby have mastered their instruments, Billy (the only one to refrain from any cocaine use this tour) sounds amazing, and Jerry’s tone and skill is golden. The single drummer and dual keyboards provide a unique and all-too-brief musical atyle that they’d never quite replicate again. The whole band is just HAPPY this tour, and it comes through in the playing. The Other Ones and Dark Stars from this tour are marvelous. If you don’t have Spotify, head over to Archive.org and listen to a soundboard of Paris 5/3. You won’t regret it. I don’t know that the band was ever tighter than they were on this tour. Pure magic.

So, weirdos: what are YOU listening to right meow?

Edited by Logic
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just saw this thread as I was finishing my coffee and about to start chores and packing for our trip back to CNY this week.  

My wife doesn’t mind the GD, but my kids hate when I put them on.  Nevertheless, we are blaring one of my favorite shows ever, Winterland 1973, from beginning to end.

I heard Dark Star Orchestra “replicate” this set at a bar up in Fairbanks, Alaska back in 2012.  Love this show.

• Like (+1) 2

There's just so much great stuff out there from so many different era's...PigPen, Europe '72, Spring '77, Summer '89....it's nice to have such a diversity of music and styles from the same band.

8 hours ago, Logic said:

Jerry Garcia was born on August 1st, 1942 and died on August 9, 1995. The eight days from August 1st through August 9th are thus called “the days between” by Deadheads and are a great excuse to listen to and immerse ourselves in all things Grateful Dead (as if we needed an excuse).

So, fellow Deadheads, what are YOU listening to at the moment?

Personally, I’ve been immersed in the Europe ‘72 tour. All 22 shows from this tour are available in their full length, crystal clear glory on Spotify. I’ve been listening to each one in chronological order for some weeks now. Up to 5/13 in Lille, France as we speak. Favorites so far are 4/14 in Denmark, 5/7 in Wigan, England, and 5/3 in Paris, France. Listening to an entire tour like this has given me a new respect and level of appreciation for the nuances of the music. I feel like I’m getting my doctorate in Dead-ology.

Certainly this tour has an undeniable magic. It’s Pigpen’s last stand, Keith is at his all time best and most creative, Phil and Bobby have mastered their instruments, Billy (the only one to refrain from any cocaine use this tour) sounds amazing, and Jerry’s tone and skill is golden. The single drummer and dual keyboards provide a unique and all-too-brief musical atyle that they’d never quite replicate again. The whole band is just HAPPY this tour, and it comes through in the playing. The Other Ones and Dark Stars from this tour are marvelous. If you don’t have Spotify, head over to Archive.org and listen to a soundboard of Paris 5/3. You won’t regret it. I don’t know that the band was ever tighter than they were on this tour. Pure magic.

So, weirdos: what are YOU listening to right meow?

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

I will be listening to ‘72 Wembley Empire Pool as that was on my bday. 
@Logicis there a ‘He’s Gone’ from any show that stands out for you?

Funny you should ask.

In listening through this Europe '72 tour, I realize that they debuted the song on this tour. First time played was 4/17/72 in Denmark. It wasn't fully formed yet. Was missing the bridge and the proper intro.

They played it a few more times in the coming shows, and by 5/10 in Amsterdam, they have it locked in just right. This is the version that wound up on the "Europe '72" album. 

Later on in the Dead's career, the song became a much more somber, reflective, jammed out kind of thing. It really evolved. Refer to the version from 9-3-77 in Englishtown, New Jersey, off of Dick's Picks #15. Very mournful tone. Excellent end-of-song jamming. 

21 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Thanks to your tip, I've been listening to this while working today:

https://archive.org/details/gd72-05-03.sbd.samaritano.21923.sbeok.shnf/gd1972-05-03d3t02.shn

Outstanding show!

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it.

I feel this show has a certain -- Je ne sais quoi. A certain intangible quality to it. I think the band was happy to be in Paris after a week in Germany, which had freaked them out good and proper after they found a basement full of Nazi relics at one of the venues they played there. When the band was happy, the music was good.

I’ve never heard of “The days between”, but I sure like it!

This comes at a really good time for me since, after a couple decades, I finally have a good sound system again!  (New speakers, amp and streamer.)

I’ve also signed up with Tidal streaming, whose “Masters” (MQA file) recordings are simply fantastic.

My wife and I actually spent last night listening to Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty.  Although I’ve heard these albums hundreds of times, they’ve never sounded nearly as good as they did last night.  They really sound like new recordings. The detail in these recordings are fantastic!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

One of my favorite Jerry quotes:

"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

If anyone's not already aware, this is going on every day/night through the 9th at the link below the picture.

Multiple Dead-adjacent sets from all sorts of different musicians, as well as stories being told by people close to the Dead scene. I watched today, and there was some great bluegrass Dead covers by the Travelin' McCourys, among others.

unnamed-4-768x771.png

https://www.dazebetween.com/

• Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I was at this show. Great version of Eyes of the World.

One of — if not THE — only 1st set opening Eyes of the World ever, and it’s a great one. Bruce Hornsby really elevated that tune in those years.