2019 forgotten draftees

Maybe @GunnerBill can help with this.  I'm wondering about the prospects for Vosean Joseph and/or Jaquan Johnson contributing to the team.  I remember hearing about Joseph in particular having potential.

It feels like we had two extra late round picks in 2020 but at least these guys had part of a camp.  Does anyone have any expectations of these guys?

With Johnson, I think the best we can hope for is a contribution on ST’s.  I remember him playing really well against NYJ in the season finale but on a team with Hyde and Poyer at safety it will be tough to see him on the field.

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

I think Johnson has starting potential. Joseph I do not have too good a read on. 

Don't forget about Darryl Johnson, either.

2019 draft looks pretty good so far

Good point on Darryl Johnson.  I definitely liked what I saw from him.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Maybe @GunnerBill can help with this.  I'm wondering about the prospects for Vosean Joseph and/or Jaquan Johnson contributing to the team.  I remember hearing about Joseph in particular having potential.

It feels like we had two extra late round picks in 2020 but at least these guys had part of a camp.  Does anyone have any expectations of these guys?

I liked both in the draft. Had both on my board thought they were both great value when taken. Joseph really struggled in pre-season games last year. I don't think he was making the roster and the injury was convenient to allow them to red shirt him on IR. I think he will need a really strong camp to make it and I am not even sure he isn't behind Tyrel Dodson who was the UDFA last year (who I still can't believe wasn't drafted) and then the Bills hung onto even despite the domestic abuse incident - which tells me they are really keen on him. Jaquan I think they drafted very much as a special teamer and developmental player. I expect them to try and groom him as Poyer's eventual successor but for this season (ie. 2020) when Hyde and Poyer are healthy they will be on the field. Jaquan had a really nice game week 17 though when he got in against the Jets. He was one of the backups that definitely furthered his case in that game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There has been something about Johnson ever since winning a roster spot last year i think if he works on what the trainers tell him to and becomes more comfortable in the scheme and continues to learn he will become a beast on the D he could even become a replacement for Hughes . 

12 minutes ago, T master said:

There has been something about Johnson ever since winning a roster spot last year i think if he works on what the trainers tell him to and becomes more comfortable in the scheme and continues to learn he will become a beast on the D he could even become a replacement for Hughes . 

Yea of the three I think Darryl is the highest ceiling. I did think Vosean was a pretty high floor guy but after his camp and pre-season last year maybe I was wrong on that. Jaquan there was more of a question because of his size and speed but his football instincts have always been excellent. He is a football player through and through.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I liked both in the draft. Had both on my board thought they were both great value when taken. Joseph really struggled in pre-season games last year. I don't think he was making the roster and the injury was convenient to allow them to red shirt him on IR. I think he will need a really strong camp to make it and I am not even sure he isn't behind Tyrel Dodson who was the UDFA last year (who I still can't believe wasn't drafted) and then the Bills hung onto even despite the domestic abuse incident - which tells me they are really keen on him. Jaquan I think they drafted very much as a special teamer and developmental player. I expect them to try and groom him as Poyer's eventual successor but for this season (ie. 2020) when Hyde and Poyer are healthy they will be on the field. Jaquan had a really nice game week 17 though when he got in against the Jets. He was one of the backups that definitely furthered his case in that game. 

I thought he might succeed Poyer and that was why the team was dragging their feet on resigning him.  But with Poyer’s new deal, I think it’s going to be hard for Johnson to get any playing time barring injury 

Just now, JohnNord said:

I thought he might succeed Poyer and that was why the team was dragging their feet on resigning him.  But with Poyer’s new deal, I think it’s going to be hard for Johnson to get any playing time barring injury 

Certainly in 2020 - agreed. They can get out of Poyer's deal for $1m after 2021... which is year 3 of Jaquan's rookie deal... so watch for them to start to introduce a time share in that season if they think Johnson is developing nicely. 

I think all of the younger guys are going to see decent playing time. In fact, there's a good chance Vosean will be the starting LB over AJ.

This coaching staff seems to favor a platoon system on defense, over heavy time from the starters. Tremaine is the only one that stays on the field, for the most part.

And part of the reason for that is to see who can step in to start as we lose our veterans to salary cap consequences.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Certainly in 2020 - agreed. They can get out of Poyer's deal for $1m after 2021... which is year 3 of Jaquan's rookie deal... so watch for them to start to introduce a time share in that season if they think Johnson is developing nicely. 

Makes sense.  I thought he (and Trent Murphy) was one of the best players on the field in the season opener vs the Jets.  I do think Johnson has potential and hope that he’ll get some opportunities on the field soon.  

13 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Makes sense.  I thought he (and Trent Murphy) was one of the best players on the field in the season opener vs the Jets.  I do think Johnson has potential and hope that he’ll get some opportunities on the field soon.  

If the optimism for Darryl Johnson is warranted, then that has to seal the deal on cutting/trading Trent Murphy, no?

Addison/Hughes/Epenesa will all get their reps and Jefferson is also a guy who can play off the edge.  Nevermind they already have 4 interior guys in Oliver, Star, Harry and Butler, and again Jefferson as a inside/outside guy.  

Pretty crowded DL to keep Murphy if they believe in Darryl Johnson. 

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

If the optimism for Darryl Johnson is warranted, then that has to seal the deal on cutting/trading Trent Murphy, no?

Addison/Hughes/Epenesa will all get their reps and Jefferson is also a guy who can play off the edge.  Nevermind they already have 4 interior guys in Oliver, Star, Harry and Butler, and again Jefferson as a inside/outside guy.  

It sure is.  If everyone stays healthy through camp one could speculate that Beane could be taking offers to move a guy.

There is huge competition all up and down the roster this year.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

Sure... but Darryl Johnson is a 7th round draft pick.  One that has flashed and that the team is high on, but he has a long way to go and I don’t feel that a roster spot is a given.

People do forget that Murphy had something like 4 sacks in his final two games of the season and had been playing much better.   His cap hit is there, but do the Bills really need the cap space.  I think that cutting Murphy isn’t as much as a formality as a lot of fans feel.  The Bills like him and won’t throw him away if Johnson doesn’t beat him out.

• Like (+1) 1

Joe Buscaglia has said that his team sources say that the Bills are really high on Jaquan Johnson and that he's very much in their long-term plans.

Can't be bothered to find the more recent one, but here's a bit from after the Jets game from Joe B.

"2. Do the Bills have a steal in Jaquan Johnson?

In the buildup to the game, the young player who was the top draw to watch was rookie Jaquan Johnson. Johnson, the team’s sixth-round pick in 2019, has earned some high praise within the organization from his performance through training camp and preseason. Because Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde stayed healthy all season, Johnson hasn’t had to take a defensive snap — until the Jets game. After nearly four months of waiting, Johnson didn’t disappoint.

The rookie played free safety and flashed the ability that has the organization so impressed. Above all else, Johnson’s instincts and recognition of the developing play and in reading the offensive players stood out. Despite starting the play a good 20-25 yards away from the line of scrimmage, Johnson was consistently around the ball making plays. His run support was superb, without falling prey to missed tackles at any point in the game. In coverage, he positioned himself to discourage Sam Darnold from taking a big shot down the field. On top of it all, he read Darnold’s eyes and the receivers in front of him on a roll-out, positioned himself to make a play, and then made a highlight-reel worthy toe-tapping interception along the sideline. The interception didn’t count because of a penalty, but the ability was there all the same. Johnson did not look like a rookie in his first-ever game. Instead, he looked like a savvy veteran with a promising future. We likely won’t see Johnson play defense again until the summer of 2020, but the one game showed the Bills might have a player on their hands with Johnson — and he could be their primary backup safety as early as next season. Best yet, there is some starting potential there, as well."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Joe Buscaglia has said that his team sources say that the Bills are really high on Jaquan Johnson and that he's very much in their long-term plans.

Can't be bothered to find the more recent one, but here's a bit from after the Jets game from Joe B.

"2. Do the Bills have a steal in Jaquan Johnson?

In the buildup to the game, the young player who was the top draw to watch was rookie Jaquan Johnson. Johnson, the team’s sixth-round pick in 2019, has earned some high praise within the organization from his performance through training camp and preseason. Because Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde stayed healthy all season, Johnson hasn’t had to take a defensive snap — until the Jets game. After nearly four months of waiting, Johnson didn’t disappoint.

The rookie played free safety and flashed the ability that has the organization so impressed. Above all else, Johnson’s instincts and recognition of the developing play and in reading the offensive players stood out. Despite starting the play a good 20-25 yards away from the line of scrimmage, Johnson was consistently around the ball making plays. His run support was superb, without falling prey to missed tackles at any point in the game. In coverage, he positioned himself to discourage Sam Darnold from taking a big shot down the field. On top of it all, he read Darnold’s eyes and the receivers in front of him on a roll-out, positioned himself to make a play, and then made a highlight-reel worthy toe-tapping interception along the sideline. The interception didn’t count because of a penalty, but the ability was there all the same. Johnson did not look like a rookie in his first-ever game. Instead, he looked like a savvy veteran with a promising future. We likely won’t see Johnson play defense again until the summer of 2020, but the one game showed the Bills might have a player on their hands with Johnson — and he could be their primary backup safety as early as next season. Best yet, there is some starting potential there, as well."

Agree with this. He was the brightest spark in that Jets game. I think he will only get on the field on defense this year if there are injuries.... but in 2021 I expect to see him get some legitimate snaps.