Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

On 7/17/2020 at 8:21 AM, Buffalo Timmy said:

Way to reply to a topic completely unrelated to your stupidity. You made a guarantee that was 100% wrong, when I have stated in this thread multiple times I am a teacher. But on the new topic of American education system- where is our education system below standard and who is in charge of those areas? My son's school, which is public, literally has millionaires from other countries buy a home just to send their kids there since it is safer than the countries they come from and the education is excellent.

Well, now, Buffalo Timmy, that's just not F'ing fair :P

I don't have kids, we don't want kids, we (or I) am really bent out of shape that every year, the county wants to take my house, because I don't like paying property taxes on something the f'ing city/county/state had no part in my acquiring.  I'm okay with income tax.  But they can kinda suck a fat-one on property taxes.

...sure as hell wish cooler, NON-POLITICAL heads would prevail in arriving at a safe consensus to re-open......it's not for my benefit as my kids are grown and 5-7 years into their professional careers......I'm concerned about the younger ones being out of the social interactive environment daily with their peers since March....remember when you couldn't wait until June for the school year to be over and dreaded going back in September?.....they've been out since March and interacting generally with siblings and parents during home schooling (HOPEFULLY) as well as some interaction perhaps with friends.....

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

watch this piece, and then watch the reaction of the anchor at the end of the piece

He sounded disappointed to hear that.

This shouldn't even be up for serious sustained debate.  The data and science is clear, the risks for not having in person school 5 days a week outweigh the risks of Coronavirus to the students.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:04 PM, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

31.1%

You said kids have less than a 1 in 1000 chance to get the virus. 16,797 kids under 18 have tested positive in Florida. For your statement of 1 in 1000 chance to get the virus to be correct, that means 16,797,000 tests would have been done on kids under 18 so far in Florida alone. That is almost 17 million. To put this in perspective, the entire US has done ~ 45 million tests so far.

You are full of it.

The stat is LESS than 2 in 100,000 of kids who contract COVID, die.   Whereas the common flu 40 in 100,000 who contract the common flu die.  

Yes, kids are less likely to contract COVID than adults, but only by around 1/3 less according to estimates from various studies.    However, children are much less likely to spread COVID-19 than adults.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

He sounded disappointed to hear that.

This shouldn't even be up for serious sustained debate.  The data and science is clear, the risks for not having in person school 5 days a week outweigh the risks of Coronavirus to the students.

...look at the mental anguish upon ADULTS......I believe some here have posted that they lost friends to suicide....so how do you expect younger minds to cope being out of their daily social interaction with classmates?.....sorry but pandemic, Covid-19, coronavirus et al are not in their vocabulary nor the ability to comprehend something last seen in the US since 1917.....

On 7/16/2020 at 12:46 PM, ALF said:

Teachers are so worried about returning to school that they're preparing wills

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/coronavirus-teachers-preparing-wills/index.html

Throw in flu season and it is more stress

So basically there is a story on CNN about irrational thinking people on their views of COVID.

You would think that out of all people, teachers would be pro science and pro data.  

If a teacher doesn't want to go to work, fine don't go to work.  If Parents don't feel comfortable then they should home school them, no problem.

But don't expect the school systems to punish their students by not having schools open all 5 days of the week. 

Teachers in order to get paid should have to show up to school, unless they can prove that they are in a high risk category.  Which could be a set of criterias of either being 60 years old are older.  Or that if you are younger than that, you have at least one underlying comorbidity. Aside from that if they want to get paid, they have to show up.

That's how I view it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Studies are showing students doing remote learning are falling behind, and the poor, and minority students are the most at risk of failing. Add to that, increased drug abuse and adolescent suicides, kids need to be in school.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bilzfancy said:

Studies are showing students doing remote learning are falling behind, and the poor, and minority students are the most at risk of failing. Add to that, increased drug abuse and adolescent suicides, kids need to be in school.

...damn right on ALL accounts......won't be addressed, but how about the potential for child abuse with parents and children being under the same roof 24/7 versus parents working and children in school and/or daycare?...............

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...damn right on ALL accounts......won't be addressed, but how about the potential for child abuse with parents and children being under the same roof 24/7 versus parents working and children in school and/or daycare?...............

Exactly right!!

34 minutes ago, Magox said:

This shouldn't even be up for serious sustained debate. 

The data and science is clear, the risks for not having in person school 5 days a week outweigh the risks of Coronavirus to the students.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Absolutely!!! How can it not be? It's just as essential as law enforcement, health care.

We are an essential business.  Those that are high risk are allowed to telecommute. Those who are just concerned are not. 

2 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

Well, now, Buffalo Timmy, that's just not F'ing fair :P

I don't have kids, we don't want kids, we (or I) am really bent out of shape that every year, the county wants to take my house, because I don't like paying property taxes on something the f'ing city/county/state had no part in my acquiring.  I'm okay with income tax.  But they can kinda suck a fat-one on property taxes.

I am not sure what Ttown is but I will recommend you consider Florida, our property taxes are low and no state income tax. I personally prefer things such as property and sales tax but I am betting you and I can come up with a better plan then is currently in place in NY.

OUT: TEACHERS ARE HEROES. 

In: Please Don’t Make Me Risk Getting Covid-19 to Teach Your Child. 

Tens of millions of people are going to work every day; teachers are staying home and getting paid. Put public school online, and lay the teachers off if they’re that unessential.

Related: Schools reopening has not triggered rise in Covid-19 cases, EU ministers told.

I had my six-month checkup on Friday with our family physician.

She says that, as soon as schools reopen, there will be a massive increase in Covid cases for the simple fact that kids do not listen.

She also said that it doesn't matter if they re-open today, tomorrow or even next year, there will still be a huge increase in Covid cases.

She said that the only way to get rid of Covid is to find a vaccine, and that may take years.

2 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I had my six-month checkup on Friday with our family physician.

She says that, as soon as schools reopen, there will be a massive increase in Covid cases for the simple fact that kids do not listen.

She also said that it doesn't matter if they re-open today, tomorrow or even next year, there will still be a huge increase in Covid cases.

She said that the only way to get rid of Covid is to find a vaccine, and that may take years.

Was she good looking? 

• Haha (+1) 1