Does the NFL have a bubble plan? Covid rising

Ramza86

6 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

With so many players getting mortally wounded from Covid I don't know we can ever have a league again.

(.....)

The real truth of the matter is this is all about money and power at this point. Covid is "spiking" which is the lie that testing has increased to show more positives. Fatalities are dropping and why lie about the numbers if this was so serious?

I can't really speak to the hospitalizations part though I imagine most of the Covid hospitalizations are actually Covid hospitalizations. But regarding the spike solely being a result of increased testing, that just isn't true at all.

Rolling 7-day %'s through June 1st compared to Rolling 7-day %'s through June 30th

US as a whole: 5.4% vs. 7.0% (and most of that spike was just over the past 10 days)

Florida: 3.8% vs. 16.1%

Texas: 4.7% vs. 14.6%

California: 5.0% vs. 5.9%

Arizona: 8.8% vs. 22.9%

Georgia: Can't really tell because they erased a boatload of tests towards the beginning of the month which makes it look like they had a negative %, but just over the past couple weeks their positive test % has more than doubled.

I think you get the idea. The % testing positive has increased pretty much across the board and has increased pretty dramatically in the states that are considered to be spiking right now.

I don't have the death numbers in front of me but it does seem like it's declining (in the very least declining percentage wise). Hopefully that continues to be the case. It still remains a relatively dangerous disease though AFAIK.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ouch, how wrong you were

Career window for NFL guys is too short for them to opt out of playing. That said there is no way NFL will play this year unless they have a vaccine by Sept which is not going to happen. The US is in the worst shape of any country. They would be better off playing all their games in Europe, but we cant even travel their now.

No, COVID death rate has declined bigly, per the article I linked. You might be confusing death rate with cases.

Everyone that doesn't think it's that bad are people that don't believe the experts. Whenever I watch disaster movies there are these characters that always choose not to believe the experts. I'm always like those guys are in every movie, it's always so unrealistic. Well I'm sorry Hollywood, those characters are 100 % real and they get people killed. It's truly unbelievable.

42 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

In the US it's at 0.24% vs the flu at .1%

The smartest people in the world can't properly estimate this but you got it nailed to an exact %. ?

3 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

Covid is "spiking" which is the lie that testing has increased to show more positives. Fatalities are dropping and why lie about the numbers if this was so serious?

DCOrange pointed out very clearly that cases were spiking as a % of the total. Was he incorrect? Trying to reconcile the above comments.   

On 6/29/2020 at 10:10 AM, Gordio said:

From this post you seem pretty knowledgeable about this subject.  There was a doctor in Houston on the news the other day said they were at near 100% capacity in the area but stated we were at 95% capacity this time last year.  I don't know, I just thought that was interesting.  

Locally in Rochester, hospitals before COVID were 100-110% capacity.  

Then when elective surgery was eliminated, those patients were swapped out for infected COVIDs.  So it's not what % capacity you are at compared to a year ago, it's who's in those beds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/30/2020 at 7:05 PM, BillsCuse said:

I hate to say it, but I think this season is in big trouble.  If a player gets it, he's going to be forced to quarantine.  What if it's multiple players on a team or several teams?  What if it's a QB and his entire O'line or half the teams defense?  It'll screw up the season big time.  I have a bad feeling the season will start, but won't end.  Hope I'm wrong

This is where I'm at and is why I remain skeptical. Playing with Covid is obviously not going to be an option regardless of how the player feels, and these guys are going to be getting tested around the clock. So what happens if half a dozen of your players test positive before kickoff? I think this is going to be a mess. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Locally in Rochester, hospitals before COVID were 100-110% capacity.  

Then when elective surgery was eliminated, those patients were swapped out for infected COVIDs.  So it's not what % capacity you are at compared to a year ago, it's who's in those beds.

we As a country are never great at statistics, nuance and analysis... but it’s been shockingly bad around this. People just throwing numbers all over the place without an ounce of context.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

It is interesting.  My understanding is ICUs operate around 80% of capacity most of the year.  So a sudden shock to the medical system, like a pandemic, can easily push our healthcare system to a point of overload.  As in, inability to treat new patients.

Yes I saw one of the doctors explained the perfect scenario with ICU is running at 80-90% capacity.  The hospital makes money & there is still some wiggle room if something unexpected comes along.  So I guess 95% capacity isn't so crazy last year.