Does the NFL have a bubble plan? Covid rising

Ramza86

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I’m not even concerned at this point.  I just don’t see how it’s possible.  I think they’ll give it a go and shut it down before the week 1 due to too many cases.  

The only thing that I fear is that we lose a year of our current player contracts.  We have so many young and productive players playing in their rookie contracts that losing a year of contracts will hurt us more than most teams.  

I try to have some glimmer of hope, but I think I’m mostly just fooling myself. What happens when a team’s DB room gets infected, and another teams OL room gets wiped out. What happens if/when Andy Reid or Belichick gets it? The first coach is hospitalized? It seems inevitable. 

I say all that to wonder this: how does this affect players and their contracts? Do they get a year of service if we play some, then pull the plug? How much would we have to play?  How about if it’s apparent that it’s not feasible during camp with a wave of infections and we play zero games? How is this addressed in the contracts or CBA? Did this year just not happen and you still have X number of years left under contract? It’s that middle ground of a partial season that seems most fuzzy. 

Might we be better with no season than a partial season? Why didn’t this happen when we sucked for so long???  I could have missed those 2-14 years without too much angst! 

• Like (+1) 3

As much as we want to say-think we have the virus under control; we don't.  Yes the curve is flattening but due to the high numbers of those not wearing masks AND not social distancing the threat remains very real.  We have to have a plan A and plan B, its still out there... like the flu for example; has been around decades; it morphs and is hard to create an accurate immunization as last years version was only 40% effective.  So what will teams do when a player or coach gets it; quarantine for 2 weeks and then wait for 2 negative tests before returning...minimum

On 6/23/2020 at 12:34 PM, mannc said:

COVID is NOT rising.  Deaths and hospitalizations are trending strongly downward nationwide and in almost all states, despite opening up.  Testing, especially of young healthy people is up, which is resulting in more positive tests.  (Other factors are contributing to increased positive tests, as well.)  

Thank you.  These athletes (and their coaches) are at far greater risk of dying in an auto accident on their way to practice.  

Hospitalizations up 60% in Texas in a week.   California just reached it's highest number ever.  Same in parts of Florida.

Incidence of positve tests results are increasing as well.  The disease is spreading more rapidly than before.  In Fla, for example, 3 weeks ago, only 3% of patient tested were positive.  By June 20, it had tripled to 12%.

On 6/23/2020 at 1:12 PM, boater said:

COVID is declining nation wide, not rising. Yes, there are some hot spots like FL and AZ.

Daily COVID-19 Deaths in the U.S. Have Fallen Dramatically Since April

Deaths yes, "COVID", no.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
Great topic to continue - in covid-19 threads please
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

good luck enforcing that bubble with a bunch of 20 year old millionaires. 

Personally i doubt they’re going to be running around Florida with Covid rates rising... besides, they basically have anything they want at their disposal on Disney’s grounds.   It’s not like they are in prison, they are staying at 5 star accommodations with plenty of ways to entertain themselves when not focusing on trying to win a championship and earning those far pay checks.

2 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Shame Cuomo, Wolf and  Murphy, gov's of NY PA AND NJ sent people to nursing homes to die  jacking up the numbers.. otherwise this is the flu.,.Didnt Dr Fauci say "no more than 10 looters  in a store at one time" ..  All of it doesnt add up.. and that is JMHO .. 

my mother’s 30 something year old co worker died from this, and my wife was sick for about 7 weeks, suffering a collapsed lung and heart issues... keep telling yourself whatever narrative helps you get to sleep at night

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/23/2020 at 1:44 PM, Augie said:

I try to have some glimmer of hope, but I think I’m mostly just fooling myself. What happens when a team’s DB room gets infected, and another teams OL room gets wiped out. What happens if/when Andy Reid or Belichick gets it? The first coach is hospitalized? It seems inevitable. 

I say all that to wonder this: how does this affect players and their contracts? Do they get a year of service if we play some, then pull the plug? How much would we have to play?  How about if it’s apparent that it’s not feasible during camp with a wave of infections and we play zero games? How is this addressed in the contracts or CBA? Did this year just not happen and you still have X number of years left under contract? It’s that middle ground of a partial season that seems most fuzzy. 

Might we be better with no season than a partial season? Why didn’t this happen when we sucked for so long???  I could have missed those 2-14 years without too much angst! 

Yup.  The first season in which we have a true chance at being an upper echelon team....the world stops due to an unstoppable flu [////].  Just our luck

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
poly ticks elsewhere please

2 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

The statistical deviation in cases resulting in deaths has already occurred. The new cases may result in hospitalizations, but ICU and deaths have deviated and stable and continuing to decrease as 1) younger, less vulnerable populations catch the virus and 2) treatment and therapeutics improve. The "wait two weeks"  and "death is a lagging indicator" statements are not as valid as they once were.  

I agree that this both points will decrease the effective death rate, but to definitely say that the death rate will not increase with a drastic increase in cases is hopeful at best.

Edited by kdub

37 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Masks are effective

Unfortunately masks are only effective if most people use them.

Masks don't really protect the wearer (maybe a little), it protects the people around the wearer.   Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience.  To me wearing a mask in an indoor public place is a courtesy similar to turning your face when you sneeze.

When and how opening occurs should be a political issue.   Masks should not have been a political issue.  It should just be common sense.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, boater said:

COVID is declining nation wide, not rising. Yes, there are some hot spots like FL and AZ.

Daily COVID-19 Deaths in the U.S. Have Fallen Dramatically Since April

Are you excluding nyc and other early hot spots, because those aren't representative of the rest of the country at this point, especially nyc that had so many people. 

They were a few weeks ahead on the exponetial growth curve than the rest of the country.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

One thing to understand is that most of the media are not doing a good job at reporting information that is qualified to be meaningful to us.  

For example it seems daunting when there is a rise in confirmed cases- but we need to understand is that more people are being tested than ever before and the new case numbers are not a good indicator on what actions are needed.  

The best indicator IMHO are the rate of new fatalities.  This number is fairly consistently tracked and would show a trend of the actual cases both confirmed and unconfirmed.  

For example, the US 14 day trend is + 32% new cases, but down 31% in new deaths.  That is a big deal and a very encouraging sign.  

You do realize deaths lag behind new cases by 4 weeks. By the end of July you'll see deaths begin to rise.

A bubble league is going to be very logistically difficult for the NFL. You are talking about probably 500 to 1000 people per-team that would need to be sequestered and possibly more if families are included.

53 players plus 12 to 16 PS players, dozens of coaches, dozens of trainers, dozens of equipment managers, dozens of grounds keepers and security for stadiums and additional general support staff. Plus add in the referees and the broadcast personnel and you probably have close to 500 people for one team. 

Toss in then the hotel and other service staff for those people and now you are talking about building a self sustaining society of 32k people in a bubble league. 

It's not impossible but it isn't easy. 

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Has anyone seen where one of these athletes has really struggled with the virus? All I have seen is so-and-so tested positive and then they are basically Covid free after a few days. It was the same with Sean Payton. He said in a couple of days or so he was back to normal. I know it affects everyone different, but I haven't seen where any of these athletes have been knocked down by it. 

Von Miller, 17 days after testing positive, said he still felt like his lungs were not back to their normal capacity. And he's a lean, muscled up pass rusher.

Think about the offensive linemen. Think about the coaches in their 70s. Think about people shaped like Andy Reid.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

COVID is NOT rising.  Deaths and hospitalizations are trending strongly downward nationwide and in almost all states, despite opening up.  Testing, especially of young healthy people is up, which is resulting in more positive tests.  (Other factors are contributing to increased positive tests, as well.)  

Thank you.  These athletes (and their coaches) are at far greater risk of dying in an auto accident on their way to practice.  

That is simply not true. The increase in positive tests is NOT solely due to increased testing. Positive cases ARE on the rise. Community spread IS on the rise. People pretending that things are improving, rather than re-escalating, have their heads in the sand.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

9 days ago. 

There has been drastically less increase in positive COVID cases in states where large protests occurred (like Minnesota and Oregon, for instance) than in states that simply re-opened early and without mask-wearing mandates. Go compare Arizona, Florida, and Texas to Minnesota, Oregon, and DC and tell me what you see.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Well I know I'M not going to question the expertise of....*checks notes*....Twitter personality Savanah Hernandez?

This nonsense has already been debunked. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahhansen/2020/06/13/masks-help-stop-the-spread-of-coronavirus-studies-say-but-wearing-them-still-a-political-issue/#25f1126b604e

A new review published in The Lancet looked at 172 observational studies and found that masks are effective in many settings in preventing the spread of the coronavirus (though the results cannot be treated with absolute certainty since they were not obtained through randomized trials, the Washington Post notes).

Another recent study found that wearing a mask was the most effective way to reduce the transmission of the virus. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

GOOGLE?  enter in any three number followed by new cases .. see what you get  for instance "439 new cases"  do it as many times as you want  use four numbers.. and no prob about a trump debate , and just an FYI.. i for one dont "ramble" 

Where did I say that you rambled?  I said that I dIdn’t feel like rambling on.  

Sorry, don’t use google.  Don’t ask me either.  I’m

here for football and to support those that wear masks.  If you’re too good to wear a mask or mock the use of them, you’re an idiot.  Being in the high risk category and not being able to return to work until things are somewhat “normal”, I don’t appreciate such buffoonery as refusing to wear a mask when it is proven to slow the spread of the disease.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, NewEra said:

Where did I say that you rambled?  I said that I dIdn’t feel like rambling on.  

Sorry, don’t use google.  Don’t ask me either.  I’m

here for football and to support those that wear masks.  If you’re too good to wear a mask or mock the use of them, you’re an idiot.  Being in the high risk category and not being able to return to work until things are somewhat “normal”, I don’t appreciate such buffoonery as refusing to wear a mask when it is proven to slow the spread of the disease.  

Amen.

Put it this way: If there's even a 10% chance that wearing a mask will help to slow or prevent the spread of the virus -- and make no mistake, the likelihood of masks helping in this regard is much higher -- I'm doing it. To refuse to wear a mask is to openly declare "I don't care about you or your health. My comfort is more important than your life". Period. That's all there is to it. Put aside your refusal to believe in science, your selfishness, your sense of entitlement, and just for ONE SECOND think about "we" rather than "me". It's a tiny scrap of cloth over your mouth for a few months, for Chrissakes. Grow up, stop being an ass, and do what needs to be done for the increased safety and health of our population, you self-centered dingbats!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Amen.

Put it this way: If there's even a 10% chance that wearing a mask will help to slow or prevent the spread of the virus -- and make no mistake, the likelihood of masks helping in this regard is much higher -- I'm doing it. To refuse to wear a mask is to openly declare "I don't care about you or your health. My comfort is more important than your life". Period. That's all there is to it. Put aside your refusal to believe in science, your selfishness, your sense of entitlement, and just for ONE SECOND think about "we" rather than "me". It's a tiny scrap of cloth over your mouth for a few months, for Chrissakes. Grow up, stop being an ass, and do what needs to be done for the increased safety and health of our population, you self-centered dingbats!

To each their own when they are alone in the car, or walking alone in an empty park. When I go the the grocery store or another crowded location, I feel I owe it to the cashiers who have risked their health and that of their families by making food available to us. Is that so hard? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Amen.

It’s really unbelievable that THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA, is one of those people.  The ultimate slap in the face to our country.  I do my best to keep my mind away from politics due it it being so negative and I actually like a few of Trumps policies, but the fact that our president is acting like this makes it quite obvious he isn’t worthy of a 2nd term.  REALLY sucks that Biden is the alternative.  Crazy that we’re in this position.  

Sorry for the ramble.  My point is now clear

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

To each their own when they are alone in the car, or walking alone in an empty park. When I go the the grocery store or another crowded location, I feel I owe it to the cashiers who have risked their health and that of their families by making food available to us. Is that so hard? 

Yep. If you’re in a position where you could possibly transmit the virus, you should be wearing a mask.  If you disagree, I can’t help you.  You’re an idiot. 

1 minute ago, dwight in philly said:

Well ok name calling. "idiot"  as u said  you win! im not getting into that type of stuff.. 

that’s not name calling. That’s just stating the obvious.  You don’t think you should wear a mask when you’re in the vicinity of others?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

i think it should be up to me because the "science" about mask wearing is up for debate , to say the least..  lotsa looters "protesters"  were not  wearing masks are you concerned about what they may have transmitted to other looters .. protesters" 

It may be time to start rooting for the virus.