Sean McDermott meets with media 6/17

25 minutes ago, Happy said:

McDermott is on his second OC and STC going into his fourth season.  In addition, most of the position coaches have turned over.  Further, McD himself is still learning how to be a HC.  Is he really the best person to determine who will be a good coach?

With his coaching experience? The answer is yes, he is one of the best. 
Who is the “best”? kinda vague description with lots of valid answers. Just sayin, 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah I got that too.  He won't kneel.

I heard it a little differently. I'd guess that if there was a game tomorrow, he wouldn't kneel.

But he said or implied there is a lot of time and a lot of discussions to be had between now and the actual first game. 

We will have to wait and see. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Very different response from John Harbaugh on the protocols 

I think this points up what makes McDermott so unusual. He refuses to approach any challenge from the point of view that it's impossible. Seems silly, I know, but that's who he is and who he wants his players to be. Whatever rules the league hands down, whatever the schedule is going look like, whatever day he had to play on, none of it deters McDermott. His response is always the same: "Okay, let's get to work."

Put another way, McDermott sees absolutely no value in complaining. Every minute spend complaining is time lost. While Harbaugh is complaining, McDermott is working. 

• Like (+1) 5

34 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

What's your point? That McDermott isn't permitted to have an opinion? That we're all here to discuss future NFL coaches, so we should only be hearing from experts on the subject? What's the point?

McDermott likes that characteristic that he sees in Webb. He likes it. That's all. 

And, by the way, if a guy is learning how to be a head coach, which you admit, shouldn't we expect turnover with his coordinators and assistants as he learns?  

You seem to have only one point to make here, which is that for some reason you don't like or don't have confidence in McDermott. Perfectly fine opinion to have, but an innocent  comment about Davis Webb's future is totally irrelevant to anything going here, or even a negative opinion of McDermott. 

My point is, as stated, I don't think McDermott is the best person to evaluate who will make a good coach.  Having such a turnover in staff can be interpreted that he is learning as he goes along, but it also signifies that he did not (and may still not) know what makes a good coach.  Should we expect turnover?  Sure; Brian Flores turned over the OC in Miami, so that happens.  But most of the staff, save the DC and LB coach....that's a lot in three years.  You are correct, I don't have a lot of confidence in McDermott.  Not sure when is a good time to voice that which will satisfy you, as well as the other McD fan-types.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Happy said:

McDermott is on his second OC and STC going into his fourth season.  In addition, most of the position coaches have turned over.  Further, McD himself is still learning how to be a HC.  Is he really the best person to determine who will be a good coach?

I think he is better suited then lets say, you or your opinion of whether he is. I'm sure there are those few that may not believe he is, like yourself but at the end of the day, your opinion or mine or anyone else for that matter, can be taken with a grain of salt.

11 minutes ago, Happy said:

My point is, as stated, I don't think McDermott is the best person to evaluate who will make a good coach.  Having such a turnover in staff can be interpreted that he is learning as he goes along, but it also signifies that he did not (and may still not) know what makes a good coach.  Should we expect turnover?  Sure; Brian Flores turned over the OC in Miami, so that happens.  But most of the staff, save the DC and LB coach....that's a lot in three years.  You are correct, I don't have a lot of confidence in McDermott.  Not sure when is a good time to voice that which will satisfy you, as well as the other McD fan-types.

McD fan - types? 

so you're a fan of what? the team, water boy or maybe you're just not a fan at all? I mean, what the hell does fan-types mean?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Happy said:

You can voice the opinion any time you want, I suppose, and in a thread about McDermott's press conference is perfectly appropriate. 

But what you say should make sense, and now you've said something for the second time that doesn't make any sense.  You're expressing two criticisms of McDermott that are irrational and pointless. You criticize his ability to pick coordinators and assistants, but you admit that he is still learning about being a head coach.  So if he's still learning, we shouldn't be surprised that he hired some guys who didn't work out. We also shouldn't be surprised that some guys didn't work out because when you're hiring assistants, you can only hire from among guys who are available. The available talent changes from year to to year, so maybe McDermott knew some guys he hired weren't perfect, but they were the best he could hire. So that criticism just doesn't make sense. Maybe it will be a valid criticism in five years, when McDermott has more of a track record, and maybe it's your current opinion, but to offer his track record to date as proof that he's bad at evaluating coaches doesn't make sense, as you admit.

Similarly, whether McDermott is right or wrong about Davis's future has very little bearing on whether he is or will be a good head coach. You have an opinion McDermott's coaching ability, and yet you think there's something wrong with McDermott because he has an opinion about Davis's. 

So, I'll defend your right to your opinion, and I'll look to your posts for reasons that support that opinion. You just have failed miserably in this thread to post anything in this thread that supports your opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Someone asked about leadership, and who is stepping up (other than Josh) to replace Eric Wood then Kyle then Alexander. 

After the usual stuff about what great leaders they were, McDermott was willing to name names.  Jon Felicano, Reid Ferguson, Mario Addison, Jordan Poyer.  

Really interesting. He said leadership is about having the personal makeup to be a leader and then working at being a leader. He admitted that you wouldn't normally expect your long snapper to be a team leader, but he suggest Ferguson without reservation. He sounded almost a bit surprised to be getting it from Poyer. He implied that you don't normally expect to get it from a guy new to the team when he named Addison.

I’m glad he mentioned Poyer, I bet his raise came with some expectation of leaning into a leadership role.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Happy said:

I think you have a fair point, but I think you are giving it too much significance. It is a simple comment sort of made in passing. 

7 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I think he is better suited then lets say, you or your opinion of whether he is. I'm sure there are those few that may not believe he is, like yourself but at the end of the day, your opinion or mine or anyone else for that matter, can be taken with a grain of salt.

Ugh, I hate this. Obviously everybody in the NFL is obviously better at everything football than basically everybody in the country. Part of the fun of being a fan (especially in the offseason) is having an opinion on things. While true, it is a BS retort to post on a team message board. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this points up what makes McDermott so unusual. He refuses to approach any challenge from the point of view that it's impossible. Seems silly, I know, but that's who he is and who he wants his players to be. Whatever rules the league hands down, whatever the schedule is going look like, whatever day he had to play on, none of it deters McDermott. His response is always the same: "Okay, let's get to work."

Put another way, McDermott sees absolutely no value in complaining. Every minute spend complaining is time lost. While Harbaugh is complaining, McDermott is working. 

There's no reason to conclude that Harbaugh is "complaining" by pointing out flaws and potential problems in this protocol.  You can't be suggesting that Harbaugh is not a hard working coach who also wants to just "get to work".  In fact that's his issue with the protocol--it doesn't allow for that.  

McDermott is a good guy, but I don't see where he has traits nearly every HC has as well.  I would take Harbaugh as HC in a second over McD.  Not sure why you would not.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Is that a yes or a no?

It's sounds more like 'stop asking stupid questions' response.

Because in the end, he does care about his players, he will support his players, but he also knows most fans don't give a flying schitt about the coach kneeling. Most fans don't follow the Bills to get their fill of social justice. They want to watch a sport we love.

If we need the feelz, we'll watch The View with a mocha double latte while adjusting our manbun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

It's sounds more like 'stop asking stupid questions' response.

Because in the end, he does care about his players, he will support his players, but he also knows most fans don't give a flying schitt about the coach kneeling. Most fans don't follow the Bills to get their fill of social justice. They want to watch a sport we love.

If we need the feelz, we'll watch The View with a mocha double latte while adjusting our manbun.

Well, lots of posters here have an opinion on the kneeling.  Some for it, many against it. 

I think you've tipped your hand!

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

McDermott is one impressive guy.  

He works every day to be the best he can be in everything he does, and tomorrow he expects himself to be better than today. Then he creates an environment for everyone around him to live with and thrive under those expectations. 

I'd love to be inside that building to see it in action every day, but I think the process would chew me up and spit me out in days, if not hours. 

The determination combined with immense good will is special. 

He really is. The most impressive thing to me is how quickly he will admit an error, and then work to adjust it. Always work the problem. Always.

The high off-season praise is a bit worrisome for me, just because people love to lift things up to watch them fall, but damn the stars are aligned, and he's the right guy to lead this group.

I'm totally on Team McBeane. But then again, I'm a homer. I'm just excited to be competitive again, and very glad I don't follow hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RiotAct said:

sounds like a no (as in he’s not going to kneel, himself).

He answered that question perfectly... my respect for McD just got higher

He didn't answer the question; he reiterated the answer to another question.  It was a simple yes/no.  I would give him full credit had he answered either way. 

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Reading between the lines, I would interpret that as a "No" but will support his players who do.

My impression is slightly different. If a player asks him to then he will, but none have talked to him about it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, lots of posters here have an opinion on the kneeling.  Some for it, many against it. 

I think you've tipped your hand!

A lot of posters here think Zubaz should make a comeback and fried bologna sammiches qualify as breakfast food.

In the end, most fans simply want their football straight up, no mixers.