Do any of you NOT use social media?

You look at all of the topics on this board, and you see that many of them have to do with reaction to something that someone posted on their Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/etc. account.

I was thinking about this since I don't have social media at all. Never had it, never thought about having it. Quite frankly, I think it's a waste of time.

Am I alone in thinking this way? For those of you who use social media, what's the reason for your use of it?

Just wondering.

• Like (+1) 2

define use.

does simply reading it for information purposes constitute use or must one actively participate, ie; post to be considered a user. are boards like this considered a social media platform?

Edited by Foxx

I have twatter, never use it.  I have an instagram, use it for fitness tips/inspiration.  I have facebook, only use the groups for cars and other hobbies. 

Learned in the early 2010s to limit my online exposure, as getting doxxed is a legit problem.  No presence, no doxxing.

I have a Facebook that I primarily use for 2 things, photos of family who live far away and organizing group events. I might post 2 status updates a year.

I have a Twitter that I primarily use to follow sports updates. I probably average around 8 tweets a year myself. 

I have an Instagram that I also use primarily for family photos, but of my generation. I've had my account since 2011 and I have exactly 3 posts. My daily average use, per the app, is 1 minute.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

This!

That's part of the reason why I'll never join those other platforms.  You see the hate being spewed just within the PPP.  If you surround yourself with it 24-7, all you get are hate filled individuals.  I can handle a bit just to get some perspective, but I refuse to surround myself with it all the time.

Just now, Whatnot78 said:

That's part of the reason why I'll never join those other platforms.  You see the hate being spewed just within the PPP.  If you surround yourself with it 24-7, all you get are hate filled individuals.  I can handle a bit just to get some perspective, but I refuse to surround myself with it all the time.

Very true! And on here you occasionally get a Go Bills from someone in between the anti-Trump left wing troll like ranting! 
PS: GO BILLS!!

Beast isn't wrong so it may seem hypocritical for my answer to be "absolutely not" this is the only non-industry related site i belong to and even then i joined intending to stay on the football forum but seeing the innuendo in some posts i did drift over here.

I've been in cyber/identity security for almost 2 decades and have deep roots in technology and now manage a number of very smart/efficient engineers just listening to their banter between meetings solidifies my reasoning for not belonging to FB (literally never have gone to a FB page), Reddit (although i will lurk there), instagram, etc.  My wife has accounts but that's to keep eyes on our 4 grandchildren but i coach her carefully where to tread lightly.

While i'm not sure i fully believe in cyberbullying, mainly because my opinion of the people behind the keyboard is so low it doesn't bother me, i do recognize there are some out there attempting to weaponize social media (enter a couple of examples on this forum) and i could see if someone allowed themselves to be enthralled (in what is Social Media) it could affect them to some degree and that goes for either side.

so outside of this TSW and a few industry based forums i'm not on any mainstream SM and fine with it being that way.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't have a Facebook account, a Twitter Account, an Instagram account, or any other social media account. The only place I post my thoughts on political issues is on this forum and, to be honest, I only posted on PPP a handful of times before the lockdown - I only posted Bills related thoughts on the Stadium Wall.

When it comes to politics, I read a lot, I have discussions with my wife, other family members, and close friends; however, I do not post my thoughts online anywhere but here. I kind of feel, outside of a few posters, posting here is like having discussions with family members as almost all of us have a common bond in the Bills.

I don't have the time nor the inclination to engage on any other forms of social media.

• Like (+1) 2

I have FB but that is it. My wife had joined it years before I did, and I finally got on when an old friend asked her if she was related to me. It's been a great way to reconnect with people I had lost touch with years ago, especially some old Marine Corps friends I had served with.

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

You look at all of the topics on this board, and you see that many of them have to do with reaction to something that someone posted on their Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/etc. account.

I was thinking about this since I don't have social media at all. Never had it, never thought about having it. Quite frankly, I think it's a waste of time.

Am I alone in thinking this way? For those of you who use social media, what's the reason for your use of it?

Just wondering.

Twitter is pretty much the only place I go to follow what's going on, but I am experienced enough to know, spot, or identify what's "fake."  The biggest lesson I've learned thru the Trump era is you have to wait a good 24-48 hours before you find out the latest Trump hit piece was bogus or completely out of context.    

And I don't have an information bubble.  I follow plenty of leftist commentators and far left news organizations like CNN NYTimes and WaPo on the Twitter.  I only watch Tucker Carlson's monologues on cable.  They are must see TV. 

And I also know that whatever may be trending doesn't necessarily make it the most important story of the day let alone reflect what the majority of Americans think about these stories despite how hard Jack Dorsey has worked to manipulate the planet.  

• Like (+1) 1

I have accounts on all major social media except tiktok (because I'm not 12).  If you were to go to my profile you would not see a thing posted on my Facebook timeline (even if I did not have it locked down, which I do), I have not posted to IG in over a year, Gab in 2 years, heck... half the socials I am signed up with I'd have to  look up my username, never mind my password.

Now, twitter? Twitter is a different story. While my twitter posts are all hearts ?  and flowers ? and football ? I do read twitter a lot. Even though it can be a sewer, it is also the fastest way to get information around the world.

Note: Pinterest, where I have a fairly large following, is actually not a social, it is search. So, I have no idea why I have any followers at all. It isn't like I connect with any of those people. I turn down every contact request. ?‍♂️

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 4

Other than this place, I am only on Facebook. Mostly I am on it to keep tabs on my family, some high school classmates, and to make sarcastic comments to my attorney friends.

Maybe someday I'll post my Kokonist Manifesto on it.

11 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

Here and LinkedIn only. Strongly considering deleting my LinkedIn account because it’s becoming a spam highway for  offshore cold sales calls.

Ha! I forgot, I do have a Linkedin account that I have connected with a lot of people in my field of interest. I never post anything and rarely read other posts. my communications with others are strictly through messaging, which consists primarily of business related messages or congratulatory/how are you doing kinds of messages.

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I don't have a Facebook account, a Twitter Account, an Instagram account, or any other social media account. The only place I post my thoughts on political issues is on this forum and, to be honest, I only posted on PPP a handful of times before the lockdown - I only posted Bills related thoughts on the Stadium Wall.

When it comes to politics, I read a lot, I have discussions with my wife, other family members, and close friends; however, I do not post my thoughts online anywhere but here. I kind of feel, outside of a few posters, posting here is like having discussions with family members as almost all of us have a common bond in the Bills.

I don't have the time nor the inclination to engage on any other forms of social media.

Your venture into PPP has been certainly welcome on my part and you are on my "Top Posters List". 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1