BR - Ranking Every NFL QB's Supporting Cast for 2020

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895219-ranking-every-nfl-qbs-supporting-cast-for-2020

30. Sam Darnold, New York Jets

29. Brian Hoyer/Jarrett Stidham, New England Patriots

28. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Miami Dolphins

>>> where's this ^ going???  <_< <<<

8. Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills

• 2019 rank 24

With one brilliant offseason move, the Buffalo Bills gave quarterback Josh Allen a top-10 supporting cast. The trade to acquire Stefon Diggs gave Allen the true No. 1 option he has been missing and made the duo of Cole Beasley and John Brown one of the league's top complementary units.

Running back Devin Singletary was explosive as a rookie in 2019, racking up 775 rushing yards and 194 receiving yards while splitting time with veteran Frank Gore.

While Allen has yet to emerge as a consistent and reliable passer, Buffalo has put the pieces in place for him to do exactly that in 2020. 

I'd say I am surprised at most of that list, but then, it is Bleacher Report, so grain of salt. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m not sure I see that much of a gap between the Bills and everyone else. 

Last year the Jets and Dolphins had among the worst OL in the league while the Pats and Bills has pretty good lines. The Jets and Dolphins both invested significant resources in that area and it remains to be seen what the outcome will be.

Skill position wise the Bills look a lot better because of Diggs, but I think it’s a little outlandish to think one player makes that much of a difference. 

10 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

I’m not sure I see that much of a gap between the Bills and everyone else. 

Last year the Jets and Dolphins had among the worst OL in the league while the Pats and Bills has pretty good lines. The Jets and Dolphins both invested significant resources in that area and it remains to be seen what the outcome will be.

Skill position wise the Bills look a lot better because of Diggs, but I think it’s a little outlandish to think one player makes that much of a difference. 

The Bills skill players are WAY ahead of the rest of the division at this point and their OL is similar to others. I’d say that they have a middle of the league OL but probably top 10 skill players. Diggs is the best WR in the division. Brown is the best #2 WR in the division. Beasley is a top 10ish slot guy in the league. The rest of the division is good in the slot as well. Knox could very well be the best TE in the division by this year (if he isn’t already). Singletary’s 5.1 YPC was tied with Derrick Henry last year. He trailed only Mostert and Gus Edwards in that category. If you add more carries for him and the massive upgrade from Gore to Moss you have a pretty big gap between the Bills and the other skill positions in the division. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As much love as the Bills have been getting as of late, they still get poo pooed with these sort of comparisons within the division, the old Bills reputation still lingers in the minds of many football fans, and prognosticators. After we win the division those lingering thoughts will dissipate all the more. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

Bleacher Report induced discussion ???

Real Football can’t get here soon enough?

If the O line comes around ( continuity) , Knox discovers the ability to catch the easy passes and JA hits the long ball 50% better than last year the Bleacher Report will have us Top 5 next year at this time( barring draft upgrades.)

26 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

As much love as the Bills have been getting as of late, they still get poo pooed with these sort of comparisons within the division, the old Bills reputation still lingers in the minds of many football fans, and prognosticators. After we win the division those lingering thoughts will dissipate all the more. 

Go Bills!!!

Ironically, if we switched places with the Panthers in the NFC South we might have the worst skill players in the division. If you objectively compare the Bills skill guys to the others in the AFC East it’s really difficult to make a case for anyone else (or that it’s even close). 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills skill players are WAY ahead of the rest of the division at this point and their OL is similar to others. I’d say that they have a middle of the league OL but probably top 10 skill players. Diggs is the best WR in the division. Brown is the best #2 WR in the division. Beasley is a top 10ish slot guy in the league. The rest of the division is good in the slot as well. Knox could very well be the best TE in the division by this year (if he isn’t already). Singletary’s 5.1 YPC was tied with Derrick Henry last year. He trailed only Mostert and Gus Edwards in that category. If you add more carries for him and the massive upgrade from Gore to Moss you have a pretty big gap between the Bills and the other skill positions in the division. 

Rebuttal #1-This is not a fantasy football. The 2019 Browns are a great example of how talented skill players don’t necessarily translate into offensive success.

Rebuttal #2 What kind of offense are the Bills going to run? Bills designed an offense last year that played off a top flight defense by limiting Allen’s pass attempts/risky throws. Do they really need elite skill players to run that type of offense? The 2019 49ers is the blueprint. Perhaps they look at the Vikings as a blueprint, but Kirk Cousins as a player is nothing like Josh Allen.

Rebuttal #3 Zach Moss is a 3rd round pick, how do you know he’s a massive upgrade over Frank Gore? The Jets drafted a RB in the 4th round who could turn out to be better than Moss (nobody knows with rookies). 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Rebuttal #1-This is not a fantasy football. The 2019 Browns are a great example of how talented skill players don’t necessarily translate into offensive success.

Rebuttal #2 What kind of offense are the Bills going to run? Bills designed an offense last year that played off a top flight defense by limiting Allen’s pass attempts/risky throws. Do they really need elite skill players to run that type of offense? The 2019 49ers is the blueprint. Perhaps they look at the Vikings as a blueprint, but Kirk Cousins as a player is nothing like Josh Allen.

Rebuttal #3 Zach Moss is a 3rd round pick, how do you know he’s a massive upgrade over Frank Gore? The Jets drafted a RB in the 4th round who could turn out to be better than Moss (nobody knows with rookies). 

1) he’s talking about real performance on the field

2) probably the same offense in which Allen attempted 461 passes in 15 games last year. He might see a 5-10% increase as he moves into his 3rd NFL season, so maybe he’ll trend toward 16th in attempts instead of 21st

3) did you watch Gore last year? He’s done. By virtue of being able to move, Moss will likely be a big upgrade.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ironically, if we switched places with the Panthers in the NFC South we might have the worst skill players in the division. If you objectively compare the Bills skill guys to the others in the AFC East it’s really difficult to make a case for anyone else (or that it’s even close). 

The AFC East is a defensive rich division with limited offenses/unproven to bad QBs. 

2 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Rebuttal 1 - Those guys, outside of Diggs and Moss, have produced in this system. Diggs was an all-world recruit that was under drafted. He has been a productive player. There’s no reason to think that will change. His work in the intermediate is his strength. That’s also Allen’s strength. His passing efficiency in the intermediate routes was near the top of the league. It’s the deep ball that they struggled with.

Rebuttal 2 - They are going to run the same offense that they have the last couple of years. They took a step forward last year as they surrounded him with better players. It’s reasonable to expect another step forward with better players and another year of progression.

Rebuttal 3 - I know you’re a Jets fan but you didn’t watch Frank Gore last year. He’s a HOF back. He doesn’t belong on an NFL roster at this point. From week 8 on he averaged 2.49 yards a carry. Keep in mind Singletary was amongst the league leaders at 5.1 in the same system. The Bills could have brought Gore back and they elected for Moss. They tried to move up to get him. Gore is BEYOND cooked and Moss is a massive upgrade. That doesn’t even mean that he will be great. If he’s just okay it’s a big step up. 

4 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

The AFC East is a defensive rich division with limited offenses/unproven to bad QBs. 

...and the Bills offense is way ahead of the others in the division. None have a proven QB. Three teams have talented young guys. A lot will rest on their development but the players across the board on the Bills offense are way ahead of the others in the division. That’s why they ranked 20 spots ahead of anyone else in the AFC East. That’s been my point. It isn’t splitting hairs. It’s a chasm. That’s as much of an indictment on the rest of the division as it is an endorsement of the Bills. The Bills offensive talent is good to very good. It isn’t elite. The other teams in the division are a disaster. There’s a lot of room between disaster and good.

• Like (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

When the Jets release Gore after TC Rebuttal 3 will be answered. Unless he was playing with a undisclosed injury Gore had zero burst and looked like he had cement shoes on. 

As for R1 and R2 I will wait until we play some games but the arrow is definitely pointing up.

• Haha (+1) 1

LOL Baltimore at only #20?  Behind Detroit?  And Carolina??  This is a joke.

Baltimore scored more TDs than any other team....by a wide margin. Plus they just picked up Dobbins.  Plus a 4.39 slot WR  and traded into the 6th to get the most prolific WR in the FBS the past 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL Baltimore at only #20?  Behind Detroit?  And Carolina??  This is a joke.

Baltimore scored more TDs than any other team....by a wide margin. Plus they just picked up Dobbins.  Plus a 4.39 slot WR  and traded into the 6th to get the most prolific WR in the FBS the past 2 years.

20 is too low for the Ravens but I do like what they have in Carolina. Moore, McCafrey, Samuel, Anderson, etc.. is pretty explosive. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...and that, paired with a top-5 defense, is why the Bills are consensus favorites in the AFC East this year.  The Pats*** are only close because of Belichick, not because of their roster.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

McCafrey and Moore for sure...

They are great players. Anderson and Samuel are really nice secondary pieces too if they can stay healthy. I guess I didn’t realize their talent until I thought about it. I’ve viewed that roster as pretty poor but there is some talent. That whole division is loaded at the skill positions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

1) he’s talking about real performance on the field

2) probably the same offense in which Allen attempted 461 passes in 15 games last year. He might see a 5-10% increase as he moves into his 3rd NFL season, so maybe he’ll trend toward 16th in attempts instead of 21st

3) did you watch Gore last year? He’s done. By virtue of being able to move, Moss will likely be a big upgrade.

Definitely agree with the Gore comment. I would say Gore was probably the worst RB that took snaps for any team the last half of the year. 

8 minutes ago, eball said:

...and that, paired with a top-5 defense, is why the Bills are consensus favorites in the AFC East this year.  The Pats*** are only close because of Belichick, not because of their roster.

Yep

The AFC East has some good defenses with the Bills among them. The Bills just have way better offensive talent than the other teams. If you look at a position by position comparison it’ll really show. This Bills roster is deep and balanced. With the possible exceptions of RT, backup QB and punter there really aren’t holes. You can’t say that for the other AFC East rosters (or most rosters in football). 

5 minutes ago, HappyBillsFan said:

Definitely agree with the Gore comment. I would say Gore was probably the worst RB that took snaps for any team the last half of the year. 

He had to have been. 2.49 YPC in a good running game is atrocious. Singletary was running the same plays and averaging double the production. That’s virtually impossible. It would be one thing to hide behind “the running game was struggling” but it wasn’t. They ran well when Gore was on the sideline and terribly when he entered the game.

I’m going to be surprised if he makes the Jets roster. They may want his veteran presence which they could use but he can’t play. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson