BR - Ranking Every NFL QB's Supporting Cast for 2020

57 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Its the same offense sans Gore with Moss and Diggs.

Exactly

The point was that Singletary, Brown and Beasley way outperformed their preseason ranking of 24. 2 of them had career years and the other averaged 5.1 YPC. If they were to rank them retrospectively the Bills were probably 16ish. Now you add in a number one receiver and bump the rest down a notch and you have a high end group. Take arguably the worst RB in the NFL out of a rotation and add a talented rookie and that group improves. You had a rookie RB and a rookie that room presumably will take a step forward. Thats how you go from 16ish to 8. Everything moved in the right direction. There’s a CHASM between the Bills skill players and the skill players of the Jets, Pats and Dolphins.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Baltimore had a LOT of guys who could  catch TDs last season....

.....And their WRs just got better after the draft.  

because the defenses focused too much on Jackson and it left people open for easy scores.  

like the Bills game.  1 blown defensive play 

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Exactly

The point was that Singletary, Brown and Beasley way outperformed their preseason ranking of 24. 2 of them had career years and the other averaged 5.1 YPC. If they were to rank them retrospectively the Bills were probably 16ish. Now you add in a number one receiver and bump the rest down a notch and you have a high end group. Take arguably the worst RB in the NFL out of a rotation and add a talented rookie and that group improves. You had a rookie RB and ate that presumably will take a step forward. Thats how you go from 16ish to 8. Everything moved in the right direction. There’s a CHASM between the Bills skill players and the skill players of the Jets, Pats and Dolphins.

The Bills were the 24th ranked offense in total yds. Not sure what you mean by pre season rank

12 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

because the defenses focused too much on Jackson and it left people open for easy scores.  

like the Bills game.  1 blown defensive play 

I don't believe that.  Far more TDs than any other team does not = "1 blown defensive play"

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL Baltimore at only #20?  Behind Detroit?  And Carolina??  This is a joke.

Baltimore scored more TDs than any other team....by a wide margin. Plus they just picked up Dobbins.  Plus a 4.39 slot WR  and traded into the 6th to get the most prolific WR in the FBS the past 2 years.

Baltimore's offense was based largely on an elite Oline, and a QB that performed at an extremely high level as a dual threat. That team could run the ball, which opened up the passing game. It was not mainly because of the positions being evaluated in this article. They contributed, yes, but if Josh Allen and our Oline had those weapons, we wouldn't really be special on offense. The scheme, the base of the Oline, and the elite athleticism of Lamar Jackson made that offense. 

They had good quality running backs and tight ends, but their wide receivers are iffy, and I would guess those matters the most to people evaluating the rosters at the positions wr/te/rb.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't believe that.  Far more TDs than any other team does not = "1 blown defensive play"

being the wise ass that I am 

1 blown call per game 16 TD’s. ;) 

Jackson deserves credit... maybe he’s getting too much credit

being Tyrod Taylor 2.5 , IMO the success won’t last very long.   

Just now, Watkins101 said:

Baltimore's offense was based largely on an elite Oline, and a QB that performed at an extremely high level as a dual threat. That team could run the ball, which opened up the passing game. It was not mainly because of the positions being evaluated in this article. They contributed, yes, but if Josh Allen and our Oline had those weapons, we wouldn't really be special on offense. The scheme, the base of the Oline, and the elite athleticism of Lamar Jackson made that offense. 

They had good quality running backs and tight ends, but their wide receivers are iffy, and I would guess those matters the most to people evaluating the rosters at the positions wr/te/rb.

See:  2020 NFL Draft.  Same O-line, more weapons now.  Detroit has 1, maybe 2 weapons.  Baltimore is stacked.  I would swap all their TE/WR/RB with the Bills in a heartbeat.  TGHere's no doubt the Bills would instantly be a higher scoring O--even with its current O-line.

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

being the wise ass that I am 

1 blown call per game 16 TD’s. ;) 

Jackson deserves credit... maybe he’s getting too much credit

being Tyrod Taylor 2.5 , IMO the success won’t last very long.   

ha

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

See:  2020 NFL Draft.  Same O-line, more weapons now.  Detroit has 1, maybe 2 weapons.  Baltimore is stacked.  I would swap all their TE/WR/RB with the Bills in a heartbeat.  TGHere's no doubt the Bills would instantly be a higher scoring O--even with its current O-line.

ha

I would not make that swap. 

For the Ravens:

Rb: among the best in the league, likely made better by adding Dobbins, though Ingram may lose a step.

Te: last year, among the best in the league, traded away one of their The for a second, so likely a downgrade from last year.

Wr: among the worst in the league. Last year, their top Wr had 584 yards. When I was trying to look up their Wrs, there were numerous articles about the Ravens should trade for X receiver. You don't see that with a good recieving corps. Two of them he Ravens top 3 recieving options were Te last year, and one left. 

In the author's mind, Wr is likely the most important position out of the three, and because of that, the ranking does make some sense.

Just now, Watkins101 said:

I would not make that swap. 

For the Ravens:

Rb: among the best in the league, likely made better by adding Dobbins, though Ingram may lose a step.

Te: last year, among the best in the league, traded away one of their The for a second, so likely a downgrade from last year.

Wr: among the worst in the league. Last year, their top Wr had 584 yards. When I was trying to look up their Wrs, there were numerous articles about the Ravens should trade for X receiver. You don't see that with a good recieving corps. Two of them he Ravens top 3 recieving options were Te last year, and one left. 

In the author's mind, Wr is likely the most important position out of the three, and because of that, the ranking does make some sense.

if the author feels his ranking is mostly about WR, he doesn’t make that apparent.

The TE Baltimore lost was their least productive.  

Baltimore drafted one perhaps two rookie WR as starters.  In today’s NFL,  rookie WRs can make an immediate impact, especially on a team with a limited route tree.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

if the author feels his ranking is mostly about WR, he doesn’t make that apparent.

The TE Baltimore lost was their least productive.  

Baltimore drafted one perhaps two rookie WR as starters.  In today’s NFL,  rookie WRs can make an immediate impact, especially on a team with a limited route tree.

Most Rookies do not make an immediate impact. They drafted a slot Wr, and a Wr in the 6th. round. It's reasonable the slot Wr plays, but the 6th rounder is unlikely to significantly contribute. They lost their #2 Te, their 3rd best recieving option. They run a lot of 2TE sets, so that will be a significant loss.

10 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I will take the 32nd ranked offense if the teams wins a SB. 

Last year’s #s are already different with Gore gone and Moss’s gain 

I don’t think the Bills will likely ever have a top 10 offense under McDermott by design. His formula is defense/ball control.

In today’s NFL you need to throw the ball around to have a top 10 offense. Your point is valid-top 10 offense doesn’t mean you are going to win football games. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

I don’t think the Bills will likely ever have a top 10 offense under McDermott by design. His formula is defense/ball control.

In today’s NFL you need to throw the ball around to have a top 10 offense. Your point is valid-top 10 offense doesn’t mean you are going to win football games. 

Have you considered that McDermott’s model has been defense/ball control by necessity up to this point?

Also, the “gotta throw the ball” thing isn’t correct. 7 of the top 10 teams in rushing attempts in 2019 finished top 10 in points scored.

• Like (+1) 1

Every time I read one of these articles, it seems the author doesn't watch many (any?) Bills' games. He writes about Dawson Knox:

"The Mississippi product is a reliable if unspectacular checkdown option"

Seriously? That is just about the opposite of what you'd write about Knox. He led the league in drop percentage (unreliable) and is most noted for some spectacular catches...and ANGRY RUNS!!!!!!

You'd think a guy with the same name (Knox), you'd follow him at least a little before writing about him.

5 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

Most Rookies do not make an immediate impact. They drafted a slot Wr, and a Wr in the 6th. round. It's reasonable the slot Wr plays, but the 6th rounder is unlikely to significantly contribute. They lost their #2 Te, their 3rd best receiving option. They run a lot of 2TE sets, so that will be a significant loss.

Hurst had 28  more yards all season than Nick Boyle, which is not significant.  He was 5th on the team in targets, He was clearly more valuable to the Ravens in trade.  If they thought the his being gone was a significant loss, they wouldn't have traded him.

No most rookies don't make an impact, yet the Ravens had one who did just this year!  Plus slot receivers are going to get a lot of work this year in that Offense.

Of the top of my head other rookies who made an immediate impact just last season alone:  Samuels, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Darius Slayton, Hardman, Diontae Johnson, Marquis Brown (the only 1st rounder) Renfrow...all had at least 500 yards, 3 TDs.  

On 6/11/2020 at 9:05 PM, JetsFan20 said:

Its the same offense sans Gore with Moss and Diggs.

I mean, yeah, if you consider everything outside of personnel moves to be of no impact on unit ability year-over-year.

Edited by Ecmic82

On 6/11/2020 at 7:59 AM, JetsFan20 said:

I’m not sure I see that much of a gap between the Bills and everyone else. 

Last year the Jets and Dolphins had among the worst OL in the league while the Pats and Bills has pretty good lines. The Jets and Dolphins both invested significant resources in that area and it remains to be seen what the outcome will be.

Skill position wise the Bills look a lot better because of Diggs, but I think it’s a little outlandish to think one player makes that much of a difference. 

We, unfortunately, saw the importance of a #1 first hand in our WC loss to the Texans as Hopkins came alive in the second half.   Meanwhile we had WRs dropping big plays and failing to toe-tap in bounds. 

The easy argument for Buffalo’s supporting cast is now having a true #1, which makes Brown a top end #2 and Beasley the third option in the slot.   No more forcing a #2 to be our #1 and our slot to be our #2.....something the Jets were also doing last year with Robbie and Crowder.  

Add in a second year Singletary and Knox, with Moss replacing the corpse of Gore.  

The rebuilt OL was middle of the pack last year and returns every starter this year. 

Edited by SCBills