BR - Ranking Every NFL QB's Supporting Cast for 2020

Just now, Stranded in Boston said:

Hey Kirby, I like Knox a lot, but that kid Gesicki for Miami is really tough. Hopefully Dawson catches up to him soon!

That’s honestly why I said (if he isn’t already). I like Gesicki quite a bit. He’s an athlete. Former basketball players make great tight ends. I think that Knox has some of his athletic upside and is a way better blocker. He will be the more complete of the 2 but not sure that he will catch up to Gesicki as a pass catcher. I wouldn’t be shocked though if both guys became like 800 yard receivers with 7 or 8 TDs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JetsFan20 said:

Rebuttal #1-This is not a fantasy football. The 2019 Browns are a great example of how talented skill players don’t necessarily translate into offensive success.

Rebuttal #2 What kind of offense are the Bills going to run? Bills designed an offense last year that played off a top flight defense by limiting Allen’s pass attempts/risky throws. Do they really need elite skill players to run that type of offense? The 2019 49ers is the blueprint. Perhaps they look at the Vikings as a blueprint, but Kirk Cousins as a player is nothing like Josh Allen.

Rebuttal #3 Zach Moss is a 3rd round pick, how do you know he’s a massive upgrade over Frank Gore? The Jets drafted a RB in the 4th round who could turn out to be better than Moss (nobody knows with rookies). 

In rebuttal #2, are you saying Josh is better than Cousins?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL Baltimore at only #20?  Behind Detroit?  And Carolina??  This is a joke.

Baltimore scored more TDs than any other team....by a wide margin. Plus they just picked up Dobbins.  Plus a 4.39 slot WR  and traded into the 6th to get the most prolific WR in the FBS the past 2 years.

I don't think a relatively low ranking for them is all that surprising to be honest. They're just ranking based on the WRs, RBs, and TEs, so Baltimore's elite O-Line doesn't factor in at all.

On paper, they're probably bottom 5-10 at WR in the league. Their RB committee was ranked 9th best. I imagine the TEs are ranked around the same after trading Hurst away. Obviously they still have Andrews and to a lesser extent Boyle, so still pretty good. But it's not the three-headed monster that it was viewed as last year. I would imagine the WRs are viewed as the most important part of a QB's supporting cast, so it's not too surprising that their ranking is weighed down significantly.

The ones that I think you could legitimately argue Baltimore ahead of would be the Giants and Eagles. I'm good with the rest of them being ahead of Baltimore.

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I don't think a relatively low ranking for them is all that surprising to be honest. They're just ranking based on the WRs, RBs, and TEs, so Baltimore's elite O-Line doesn't factor in at all.

On paper, they're probably bottom 5-10 at WR in the league. Their RB committee was ranked 9th best. I imagine the TEs are ranked around the same after trading Hurst away. Obviously they still have Andrews and to a lesser extent Boyle, so still pretty good. But it's not the three-headed monster that it was viewed as last year. I would imagine the WRs are viewed as the most important part of a QB's supporting cast, so it's not too surprising that their ranking is weighed down significantly.

The ones that I think you could legitimately argue Baltimore ahead of would be the Giants and Eagles. I'm good with the rest of them being ahead of Baltimore.

Ravens had the most passing TDs last season---with not 1 1000 yd WR.  Hurst won't be missed.  Plus they drafted 2 potentially dynamic rookies to catch those short passes.  That's a ton of weapons for a QB like Jackson.

Ingram is still a major threat, and they added the rookie.  They were, by far, the highest scoring team in the NFL---and in the draft really loaded up on offense.  

Detroit has Galloday and Jones.   Their running game is a dud.  Logan Thomas is their #2 TE.  That's a pretty rough crew.

3 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I’m not sure I see that much of a gap between the Bills and everyone else. 

Last year the Jets and Dolphins had among the worst OL in the league while the Pats and Bills has pretty good lines. The Jets and Dolphins both invested significant resources in that area and it remains to be seen what the outcome will be.

Skill position wise the Bills look a lot better because of Diggs, but I think it’s a little outlandish to think one player makes that much of a difference. 

True.  But one player can make a difference in the right circumstances. 

2 seasons ago the Bills had Zay Jones, Robert Foster and Kelvin Benjamin. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Bleacher Report induced discussion ???

Real Football can’t get here soon enough?

If the O line comes around ( continuity) , Knox discovers the ability to catch the easy passes and JA hits the long ball 50% better than last year the Bleacher Report will have us Top 5 next year at this time( barring draft upgrades.)

Compared to a few sites out there.  BR is a gem.

Truth be told a lot of those other places refer to BR and PFF.  

Or the AP where everyone goes to the pool. 

2 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Rebuttal #1-This is not a fantasy football. The 2019 Browns are a great example of how talented skill players don’t necessarily translate into offensive success.

Rebuttal #2 What kind of offense are the Bills going to run? Bills designed an offense last year that played off a top flight defense by limiting Allen’s pass attempts/risky throws. Do they really need elite skill players to run that type of offense? The 2019 49ers is the blueprint. Perhaps they look at the Vikings as a blueprint, but Kirk Cousins as a player is nothing like Josh Allen.

Rebuttal #3 Zach Moss is a 3rd round pick, how do you know he’s a massive upgrade over Frank Gore? The Jets drafted a RB in the 4th round who could turn out to be better than Moss (nobody knows with rookies). 

#1 I agreed with and countered.  5 stars on a team or a Team with 5 stars.  

#2 The 49ers Offense?  (Truth be told,  JG needs to do more than just not lose the game).

Passing wise the 49ers lead with TD/INT 28-13 to 21-12. 

Rushing wise the 49ers lead with 2305 yards 23 TD 4.6 y/a to 2054 yds, 13 TD 4.4 y/a

#3 Moss like Singletary are "slippery"  What was that statistic I posted the other day............   Lead the ranks with most broken tackles IIRC.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ravens had the most passing TDs last season---with not 1 1000 yd WR.  Hurst won't be missed.  Plus they drafted 2 potentially dynamic rookies to catch those short passes.  That's a ton of weapons for a QB like Jackson.

Ingram is still a major threat, and they added the rookie.  They were, by far, the highest scoring team in the NFL---and in the draft really loaded up on offense.  

Detroit has Galloday and Jones.   Their running game is a dud.  Logan Thomas is their #2 TE.  That's a pretty rough crew.

Logan Thomas definitely is not Detroit's #2 TE. They signed Jesse James this offseason; he and Hockenson will be duking it out for the starting gig. They added arguably the #1 RB in the draft to pair with Kerryon, and their top 2 WRs are on paper significantly better than anyone in Baltimore's receiving corps and Amendola is right there with any of Baltimore's guys right now too (obviously Hollywood could break out for Baltimore and vault himself into the discussion with Golladay/Jones, but he's still unproven for now).

Maybe some of Baltimore's young WRs will pan out, but for now, they pale in comparison to Detroit at WR while probably being slightly ahead at the other two positions groups.

Baltimore's biggest strengths offensively is Lamar and the O-Line; they are by far the biggest reasons that Baltimore's offense was elite last year. Neither of those things matter in these rankings and the article itself says as much. Paraphrasing, they say Baltimore's skill positions aren't very talented relative to the league, but it doesn't really matter because they fit with Lamar so well and Lamar & the O-Line drive everything.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Logan Thomas definitely is not Detroit's #2 TE. They signed Jesse James this offseason; he and Hockenson will be duking it out for the starting gig. They added arguably the #1 RB in the draft to pair with Kerryon, and their top 2 WRs are on paper significantly better than anyone in Baltimore's receiving corps and Amendola is right there with any of Baltimore's guys right now too (obviously Hollywood could break out for Baltimore and vault himself into the discussion with Golladay/Jones, but he's still unproven for now).

Maybe some of Baltimore's young WRs will pan out, but for now, they pale in comparison to Detroit at WR while probably being slightly ahead at the other two positions groups.

Baltimore's biggest strengths offensively is Lamar and the O-Line; they are by far the biggest reasons that Baltimore's offense was elite last year. Neither of those things matter in these rankings and the article itself says as much. Paraphrasing, they say Baltimore's skill positions aren't very talented relative to the league, but it doesn't really matter because they fit with Lamar so well and Lamar & the O-Line drive everything.

We all understand skill positions does not refer to the O-line.

Jessie James appeared in all 16 games for Detroit LAST year (11 starts) and was a complete disaster.  He didn't even beat out Thomas for the #2.

Amendola is a poor man's Edelman.  I bet Hollywood will outplay Marvin Jones.  

I bet Ingram and Dobbins outgain the duo in Detroit.

If you had to swap out the Bills weapons on O for either team's, you would pick those in Detroit over Baltimore's?  That would be a pretty hot take.

Again, the best Offense just loaded up on more weapons in the draft.  Detroit is still struggling to fill holes.

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL Baltimore at only #20?  Behind Detroit?  And Carolina??  This is a joke.

Baltimore scored more TDs than any other team....by a wide margin. Plus they just picked up Dobbins.  Plus a 4.39 slot WR  and traded into the 6th to get the most prolific WR in the FBS the past 2 years.

it’s about the supporting cast.  

not how many games they won ;) 

I thought B-More was rated too low myself 

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

it’s about the supporting cast.  

not how many games they won ;) 

I thought B-More was rated too low myself 

Correct.  I haven't referenced wins.  I did reference scoring, because really,  how good is supporting cast that doesn't score a lot?  No very good.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Baltimore wrs besides Brown are pretty bad.  

WR 1-3 The Bills have a complement that is as good or close to any team in the league. While having Mac a decent gadget WR and some interesting depth. 

TE - The Bills lack here unless they can get a big leap in production from Knox. 

O-Line - Upper Mid-Level O-line at worst in my opinion with depth to sustain more injuries than most O-lines in the league. 

RB - A good up and coming RB in Singletary being paired with a high draft pick in Moss. 

Overall around Josh I say he has a top 10 supporting cast, and if Knox can be an above average TE this season than look out because then the Bills could be looking at having all the pieces in place.

11 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Without looking at the list, I’d probably have Buffalo somewhere in the 9-11 range. I’ll say 11 behind KC, LAR, NO, TB, Arizona, Cleveland, Seattle, Detroit, Atlanta, and Dallas.

Which sounds about right

Past Diggs, Brown, Beasely we are relying on a lot of young guys but this is the correct way to biuld a football team

Last years offensive rankings 

15. New England 

24. Buffalo

27. Miami

32. NYJ 

Miami and the Jets weren’t too far off from Buffalo if you take out the Rosen and Luke Falk games (the Jets also had a historically bad showing on MNF vs New England)

New England lost Tom Brady so its reasonable to assume they will regress on offense 

Obviously I could see BUF, Miami, and NYJ improving from 2019 (not a big ask). I just fail to see how any of these teams are going to develop into a top 10 offense against a tougher schedule. 

9 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Hey Kirby, I like Knox a lot, but that kid Gesicki for Miami is really tough. Hopefully Dawson catches up to him soon!

The Jets are also very excited about Chris Herndon and Pats drafted two TEs who are probably studs. 

25 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Last years offensive rankings 

15. New England 

24. Buffalo

27. Miami

32. NYJ 

Miami and the Jets weren’t too far off from Buffalo if you take out the Rosen and Luke Falk games (the Jets also had a historically bad showing on MNF vs New England)

New England lost Tom Brady so its reasonable to assume they will regress on offense 

Obviously I could see BUF, Miami, and NYJ improving from 2019 (not a big ask). I just fail to see how any of these teams are going to develop into a top 10 offense against a tougher schedule. 

The Jets are also very excited about Chris Herndon and Pats drafted two TEs who are probably studs. 

The point is that the Bills ended up underrated at 24. It was a preseason ranking. Beasley and Brown has the best years of their careers and the rookie EB averaged 5.1 YPC. Guys that were question marks entering the year overachieved. Now when you add Diggs, you have 2 1k receivers and a high end slot option. Brown and Beasley now face easier matchups. Moss in unquestionably an upgrade over Gore and that’s why you are looking at the Bills 20 spots ahead of anyone else in the division. The have the best receiver, the best #2 receiver, a high end slot guy and arguably the best backfield in the division. Bell may still be that guy but there’s a very good chance that the Bills backfield emerges. We aren’t splitting hairs in the division. The Bills weapons are far, far, far beyond the rest of the AFC East. 

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The point is that the Bills ended up underrated at 24. It was a preseason ranking. Beasley and Brown has the best years of their careers and the rookie EB averaged 5.1 YPC. Guys that were question marks entering the year overachieved. Now when you add Diggs, you have 2 1k receivers and a high end slot option. Brown and Beasley now face easier matchups. Moss in unquestionably an upgrade over Gore and that’s why you are looking at the Bills 20 spots ahead of anyone else in the division. The have the best receiver, the best #2 receiver, a high end slot guy and arguably the best backfield in the division. Bell may still be that guy but there’s a very good chance that the Bills backfield emerges. We aren’t splitting hairs in the division. The Bills weapons are far, far, far beyond the rest of the AFC East. 

Its the same offense sans Gore with Moss and Diggs.