Buffalo PD assault older gentleman, leave him to bleed

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

K.  'Cuz he apparently does have a long history as a political activist, so I would imagine it's not his first rodeo but that doesn't make him an actor.

I’m not saying he was pretending to be injured if that’s what you meant. 

Fair.  I don't care whose helmet it was because he was videoed holding the helmet while he held forth with other protesters in Niagara Square some time earlier; there were plenty of police officers about to whom he could have delivered the helmet if it was a police helmet and he were simply being a good Samaritan.    Thus even if it was a police helmet, trying to return it then and there when he clearly had opportunities earlier makes it a stunt not an innocent action.

I've seen a still where it's pretty clear he's being lifted onto his toes and his chest shoved back from the force of the baton shove, and where the officer using his arm to push him is clearly stepping into the shove.  I'm not prepared to characterize it as a gentle or mild shove

It wasn’t mild but it also wasn’t violent. 

see, here is where I get lost.  Listen to yourself: the only alternatives you see are arrest or escalation.   Why aren't there other alternatives?  The man didn't have a gun or a knife or even a water bottle potentially filled with acid or pee in his hand.  Why are these the only alternatives in the police operational vocabulary, so to speak?  Why are there no alternatives that don't escalate the situation?

What alternatives would you like to see?

There’s a large group of cops in riot gear trying to clear an area. They are yelling to get back but he advances towards them, getting very close. How long are police supposed to try and plea and negotiate with someone who clearly isn’t listening or doesn’t want to? At what point do we get to protect our personal space? 

#BREAKING: now-suspended officers Torgalski and McCabe are scheduled to be arraigned tomorrow morning. 4 sources confirm via texts sent by union to ERT former-members. Being told charges have been upgraded to assault in the second degree. A class D felony.@WKBW

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

There’s a large group of cops in riot gear trying to clear an area. They are yelling to get back but he advances towards them, getting very close. How long are police supposed to try and plea and negotiate with someone who clearly isn’t listening or doesn’t want to? At what point do we get to protect our personal space? 

Ummm, if they felt he was breaking the law, the police could have safely placed him under arrest.  Especially given that he was an elderly man.  No need to push or shove at all. That was a stupid decision.  

I agree that the actions of he police was not egregiously violent or out of line, however, the outcome was horrible.  This could have been avoided with some simple common sense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Ummm, if they felt he was breaking the law, the police could have safely placed him under arrest.  Especially given that he was an elderly man.  No need to push or shove at all. That was a stupid decision.  

I agree that the actions of he police was not egregiously violent or out of line, however, the outcome was horrible.  This could have been avoided with some simple common sense.

I agree, the outcome was horrible. I also agree that they could have just arrested him and likely avoided all this. 

I don’t think there was intent to injure him. 

3 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

No ERT at this evening’s downtown protests, and there was no violence.

Weird.

Why is that weird? There have been peaceful protests in areas where ERT was present. 

Edited by Bangarang

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I agree, the outcome was horrible. I also agree that they could have just arrested him and likely avoided all this. 

I don’t think there was intent to injure him. 

I agree with the bolded, but jails and prisons are full of people who didn’t “intend” to commit crimes.  Stupid choices lead to harsh outcomes sometimes.  

I don’t think that these police officers should be prosecuted “to the fullest extent of the law,” but they should have appropriate consequences based on a fair investigation.

there are several breaking developments to this situation I suggest you go to www.wkbw.com and preruse the information within. 

All officers in the Buffalo Police Emergency Response Team resign from roles on team

57 officers resign in support of suspended officers

EXCLUSIVE: Two Buffalo Police ERT members say resignation was not in solidarity with suspended officers

Police Union is refusing to back the policemen involved in this occurance. That's pretty shocking really

Just now, Bangarang said:

Well, I don't like the whole approach of interfering with Constitutionally protected free speech and free assembly rights of citizens by issuing a curfew (or declaring an assembly unlawful by bullhorn), then clearing it and arresting people with riot-gear clad police.   I think it's a tactic that's intrinsically incompatible with de-escalation and that by its nature requires the police to be "amped up".  It also allows officers who "roll that way" opportunity to brutalize citizens with impunity.  On that I have four words: Luther Hall St Louis.

I don't want to pretend to expertise I lack, but it just seems to me there has to be a different way.  What seemed to calm things down in St Louis wasn't more riot shields and more tanks, but when the Hwy Patrol was called in and their commander just went out and marched and talked to people and they changed tactics to be less confrontational

Despite the rhetoric from some places, that's the sense of the approach I get from this interview with Minnesota National Guard Commander Maj. General Jon Jenson

I found it interesting, anyway: https://www.npr.org/2020/06/01/867256439/what-it-is-like-to-be-a-national-guard-member-during-the-riots-in-minneapolis

I realize I'm not answering the question you asked and I do apologize, but I can't legitimately answer "what should they do?" based on a set of assumptions (the riot gear, the orders to clear the area) when I have questions about the assumptions.

I suppose given the strategy and tactics that were being employed, I would say the police officers should have set a boundry to keep him further off and not have to push him.  Again, I don't want to claim expertise I lack, it's my understanding there are baton techniques for this other than "laying it on".  But if the guy was determined to push the boundries then I suppose he had to be arrested.  It did him no favors to do what they did....

• Like (+1) 1

Well, I don't like the whole approach of interfering with Constitutionally protected free speech and free assembly rights of citizens by issuing a curfew (or declaring an assembly unlawful by bullhorn), then clearing it and arresting people with riot-gear clad police.   I think it's a tactic that's intrinsically incompatible with de-escalation and that by its nature requires the police to be "amped up".  It also allows officers who "roll that way" opportunity to brutalize citizens with impunity.  On that I have four words: Luther Hall St Louis.

I don't want to pretend to expertise I lack, but it just seems to me there has to be a different way.  What seemed to calm things down in St Louis wasn't more riot shields and more tanks, but when the Hwy Patrol was called in and their commander just went out and marched and talked to people and they changed tactics to be less confrontational

Despite the rhetoric from some places, that's the sense of the approach I get from this interview with Minnesota National Guard Commander Maj. General Jon Jenson

I found it interesting, anyway: https://www.npr.org/2020/06/01/867256439/what-it-is-like-to-be-a-national-guard-member-during-the-riots-in-minneapolis

I realize I'm not answering the question you asked and I do apologize, but I can't legitimately answer "what should they do?" based on a set of assumptions (the riot gear, the orders to clear the area) when I have questions about the assumptions.

I suppose given the strategy and tactics that were being employed, I would say the police officers should have set a boundry to keep him further off and not have to push him.  Again, I don't want to claim expertise I lack, it's my understanding there are baton techniques for this other than "laying it on".  But if the guy was determined to push the boundries then I suppose he had to be arrested.  It did him no favors to do what they did....

The rioting occurs when the protest is not able to self police, which many of them were pretty good at doing until mayhem started. Once the mayhem started, the ability to self police went away because everyone was trying not to get their eyes shot out, beat, arrested or dealing with the effects of tear gas and pepper spray. This created an opportunity for the bad actors within the protest and those from outside to come an achieve their goal. There was a local article out here in LA, from a local pizza business

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/06/03/la-pizza-shop-weathers-pandemic-takes-beating-from-vandals/

“We were slinging slices. Everyone was happy. It was a very peaceful march,” Alt recalled Sunday as he surveyed the damage at his restaurant. As the sun was setting, most marchers had moved on. Then a different group came into the neighborhood, he said, and they weren’t carrying signs or protesting anything.

“These were professional looters,” Alt said. “It seemed like people were excited to rage and riot.”

He watched in disbelief as several cars pulled up across the street and a group of about 20 people got out and rampaged through a liquor store. They grabbed bottles of booze and bags of chips. Within 30 seconds, they had cleared the place out.

Alt closed early and left around 9 p.m., taking all the cash and tablet computers.

It seems like if as you suggest, you a de-escalating technique upfront and during the protest, it is easier and more likely for self-governance and achieving good results. It is near the end of the protest or as it moves on, making sure you have the resources left to provide the basic security for the area that is needed. But that begs a question, sould you have more enforcement in the area or do you police it as normal? I am not going to discuss the effectiveness of regular enforcement for a burglary at a business in normal situations since that id likely another discussion LOL

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

What alternatives?

Uh, how about acting civil and respectful?  If he broke the law, you can arrest him, but there really shouldn't be any injuries involved with arresting a 75 year old man.

Apart from race, this is exactly what all of the protests are about.  Police officers crossing the line and not being held accountable.