NFL to not allow influx into league via Supplemental Draft

“I wouldn’t be surprised if the league canceled it this offseason and just said it was due to the coronavirus impact on its own schedule,” one agent said. “You can’t sue the league to let you into a supplemental draft if no supplemental draft exists.”

At least one agent has some brains and realizes trying to use laysuit is a dumb idea.

This is so dumb. So...players that can’t pass drug tests or are too stupid to meet academic eligibility requirements in their cupcake majors can declare and possibly play this year, but players possibly affected by a virus can not?  I don’t know what is more of a circumstance than having a season altered or cancelled due to a global pandemic. Unreal. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

This is so dumb. So...players that can’t pass drug tests or are too stupid to meet academic eligibility requirements in their cupcake majors can declare and possibly play this year, but players possibly affected by a virus can not?  I don’t know what is more of a circumstance than having a season altered or cancelled due to a global pandemic. Unreal. 

Rosters are already at or near capacity for NFL teams.  And it will be difficult as it is for many draft picks/street FA's to make rosters with the way the off-season schedule is being impacted.  Training camp might start late if there is a traditional one at all.  It's possible no pre-season games are played.  Off season could wind up being Zoom meetings and a three week conditioning period.  

Those kids are better off keeping their eligibility and waiting, as hard as it would be not to be able to play.  Most won't get drafted and they won't get their eligibility back.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Rosters are already at or near capacity for NFL teams.  And it will be difficult as it is for many draft picks/street FA's to make rosters with the way the off-season schedule is being impacted.  Training camp might start late if there is a traditional one at all.  It's possible no pre-season games are played.  Off season could wind up being Zoom meetings and a three week conditioning period.  

Those kids are better off keeping their eligibility and waiting, as hard as it would be not to be able to play.  Most won't get drafted and they won't get their eligibility back.

I don’t think the players in the supplemental draft have eligibility. It’s only players that have been deemed ineligible since after the deadline to declare for the draft. I could be wrong on that though. There’s only been 46 players selected since 1977. Like 5 players per year enter it, and maybe one gets drafted. 

People just like to whine about the NCAA because they like to forget the student part in student-athlete. It’s also the cool thing to do to hate on the NFL and scream about CoNsPiRaCiEs. This literally has no impact on the NFL and doesn’t protect the NCAA/NFL in the least. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

It’s really not dumb at all. All college athletes are potentially affected by the pandemic. The supplemental draft was designed for individuals who failed to declare for the original draft due to unusual circumstances. 

It’s the KOD for most prospects anyway. No one is spending a supplemental second on Chuba Hubbard. May as well wait the year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

It’s really not dumb at all. All college athletes are potentially affected by the pandemic. The supplemental draft was designed for individuals who failed to declare for the original draft due to unusual circumstances. 

It’s the KOD for most prospects anyway. No one is spending a supplemental second on Chuba Hubbard. May as well wait the year.

As of right now the NCAA is allowing spring sports to reuse their final year of eligibility and maintain scholarship money without counting towards the mandated max based on sport. 

The only thing the supplemental draft does is allow people who lost their eligibility after the date they needed to declare have teams bid on them with future draft picks. They are still welcome to sign as UDFA’s.

This is waaaay overblown. 

EDIT:Just to clarify. Nobodies college career is in jeopardy. I am sure that the NCAA will extend eligibility/scholarships out another year to any sports effected in the fall. They’ve already done it for spring sports. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2

When it comes right down to it, does anyone really care about the supplemental draft? 

the correct answer is no, 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mango said:

I don’t think the players in the supplemental draft have eligibility. It’s only players that have been deemed ineligible since after the deadline to declare for the draft. I could be wrong on that though. There’s only been 46 players selected since 1977. Like 5 players per year enter it, and maybe one gets drafted. 

People just like to whine about the NCAA because they like to forget the student part in student-athlete. It’s also the cool thing to do to hate on the NFL and scream about CoNsPiRaCiEs. This literally has no impact on the NFL and doesn’t protect the NCAA/NFL in the least. 

The argument some are making is that the NFL should allow kids into the supplemental draft regardless of their status.  That would mean a majority of kids who have eligibility remaining, but don't want to sit out an entire season in the case of the NCAA/conferences cancelling all or most of its season.  The NFL has already gone on record stating they will not consider kids outside of the traditional supplemental draft requirements you mentioned.

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

The argument some are making is that the NFL should allow kids into the supplemental draft regardless of their status.  That would mean a majority of kids who have eligibility remaining, but don't want to sit out an entire season in the case of the NCAA/conferences cancelling all or most of its season.  The NFL has already gone on record stating they will not consider kids outside of the traditional supplemental draft requirements you mentioned.

I must have missed that. I know there was a separate conversation about allowing kids to keep eligibility if they weren’t drafted. And I swear this one started as just cancelling the supplemental draft all together. (Did the title change) 

Either way, it’s fine with me. The NFL is not beholden to change their hiring practices based on a situation that hasn’t played out from the NCAA. And as I said earlier. I’m nearly 100% confident the NCAA will extend the eligibility rules for fall sports because they’ve already done it for spring sports. Nobody is losing their career. If the NCAA season is cancelled, none of these kids are going to “lose” their football career. They’ll have another year to play if they choose.