Trump v Vance

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Lol, yup, Cohen went to jail for fun! 

Five counts of tax fraud, one count of falsifying financial statements, one count of unlawful corporate contributions, and one count of excessive campaign contributions.

He said he assisted in the Russia investigation and asked for that to be considered during sentencing. Good thing the Russia investigation wasn’t a complete joke. One might think Cohen wasn’t trying to weasel his way out of anything by telling prosecutors what they wanted to hear. 

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Reality Check said:

When a lefty has to make their case with specifics, this is how every conversation goes. They get dramatic, and cast aspersions. I ask a simple question of legality, and you hide. Happy Mothers Day by the way. It's a beautiful day outside.

No, you are just playing dumb. 

Just now, daz28 said:

Does the Constitution say the president can't be charged with a crime?

You seem confused. The burden of proof is not up to me, but the prosecution. There is nothing to defend. If you have a case to make, then make it. 

3 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Five counts of tax fraud, one count of falsifying financial statements, one count of unlawful corporate contributions, and one count of excessive campaign contributions.

He said he assisted in the Russia investigation and asked for that to be considered during sentencing. Good thing the Russia investigation wasn’t a complete joke. One might think Cohen wasn’t trying to weasel his way out of anything by telling prosecutors what they wanted to hear. 

He lied to congress about Trump working with the Russians over his hotel he wanted the response—while Russia was hacking our election, and campaign finance fraud, Stormy waves hello. 

All while working for Trump. 

Do you think the President should be above investigation? 

2 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

You seem confused. The burden of proof is not up to me, but the prosecution. There is nothing to defend. If you have a case to make, then make it. 

Then let them prosecute! Don’t say they can’t and then claim nothings been proven, gees 

Just now, Reality Check said:

...and you are being rude and projecting. If you have a case to make, then make it. 

Do you support Trump’s claim he is immune from prosection while president? 

Rude? On PPP, ?

What a dope 

Just now, Tiberius said:

He lied to congress about Trump working with the Russians over his hotel he wanted the response—while Russia was hacking our election, and campaign finance fraud, Stormy waves hello. 

In communism, everyone is under constant investigation. You were raised in the wrong country perhaps. Have you ever been to China? You might like it.

5 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

I'm not trying to make a case.  You said you read the Constitution, and I want to know if you read that a sitting president can't be charged with a crime?  Don't confuse your discussion with Tibs with mine

Edited by daz28

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How many investigations would you like? How many has there already been? Do you honestly believe that one man can skirt around countless investigations simply because he’s the president while 3/4 of Washington hates him and have tried to find a way to remove him from office? Name one executive order he has made in order to shield himself from prosecution.

After you list those; list the crimes he was found guilty of and list it with the corresponding investigation. 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Then let them prosecute! Don’t say they can’t and then claim nothings been proven, gees 

Do you support Trump’s claim he is immune from prosection while president? 

Rude? On PPP, ?

What a dope 

...and now it's name calling. The Supreme Court will make its decision. Whatever my opinion is on the subject is not relevant. That is how the legal system works in America. The Supreme Court is the last stop, and the final word.

3 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I'm not trying to make a case.  You said you read the Constitution, and I want to know if you read that a sitting president can't be charged with a crime?  Don't confuse your discussion with Tibs with mine

Reread what I said and try to apply it to memory. I never said I read it. I said I heard of it. I believe it was on the last page before this one.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

...and now it's name calling. The Supreme Court will make its decision. Whatever my opinion is on the subject is not relevant. That is how the legal system works in America. The Supreme Court is the last stop, and the final word.

So why do we have a forum if our opinions aren't relevant, and whatever happens happens.  What is your opinion on him being charged?  Understand I don't take sides.  I can totally see how both sides will abuse this no matter which way the cookie crumbles.

7 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

In communism, everyone is under constant investigation. You were raised in the wrong country perhaps. Have you ever been to China? You might like it.

Do you think the president should be immune from prosecution? 

7 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

How many investigations would you like? How many has there already been? Do you honestly believe that one man can skirt around countless investigations simply because he’s the president while 3/4 of Washington hates him and have tried to find a way to remove him from office? Name one executive order he has made in order to shield himself from prosecution.

After you list those; list the crimes he was found guilty of and list it with the corresponding investigation. 

As many crimes as this crook commits. Criminals don’t have limits on the number of crimes they can be investigated for. 

1 minute ago, daz28 said:

So why do we have a forum if our opinions aren't relevant, and whatever happens happens.  What is your opinion on him being charged?  Understand I don't take sides.  I can totally see how both sides will abuse this no matter which way the cookie crumbles.

...again, I never said OUR opinions aren't relevant. You seem argumentative about a situation that will end quite predictably, whether I agree or not. I have the right not to share any opinion that I don't feel like sharing. We don't live in East Germany yet, but give it time. Maybe you can interrogate me in the future.?

...again, I never said OUR opinions aren't relevant. You seem argumentative about a situation that will end quite predictably, whether I agree or not. I have the right not to share any opinion that I don't feel like sharing. We don't live in East Germany yet, but give it time. Maybe you can interrogate me in the future.?

That's fair, I just fail to understand why you choose not to share, and why I'm East Germany for asking?  Asking a question isn't argumentative

Edited by daz28

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Do you think the president should be immune from prosecution? 

As many crimes as this crook commits. Criminals don’t have limits on the number of crimes they can be investigated for. 

No one should be immune to criminal prosecution of crimes were committed and they were tried and found guilty of them.

I’m not asking you for a generic, bumper sticker answer. Obviously; you have made a lot of claims and should be able to substantiate them.

I have asked for 3 simple things:

What was he investigated for?

What was he found guilty of in those investigations/trials?

What did he do to evade prosecution from those crimes he was found guilty of committing?

If you can answer those three things; then you have adequately proven your claims.

1 minute ago, daz28 said:

That's fair, I just fail to understand why you choose not to share, and why I'm East Germany for asking?  Asking a question isn't argumentative

That is three times you misrepresent what I said. I never said you were East Germany. I simply stated that we don't live there. 

Well, this has been educational. Movie time. See you guys in a few hours. Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

No one should be immune to criminal prosecution of crimes were committed and they were tried and found guilty of them.

This makes no sense. No, should he be allowed to be investigated, prosecuted, for alleged crimes? Big difference. 

I see what you tried doing there, though 

That is three times you misrepresent what I said. I never said you were East Germany. I simply stated that we don't live there. 

You: "We don't live in East Germany yet, but give it time. Maybe you can interrogate me in the future.?"

Me: "That's fair, I just fail to understand why you choose not to share, and why I'm East Germany for asking?"

Or maybe you did, and maybe it's you misrepresenting.

Name one other time you mistakenly thought I misrepresented you?

9 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

What does this mean???  Are you saying you should be able to be charged after you're tried and found guilty??  All I see here is Covfefe

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

This makes no sense. No, should he be allowed to be investigated, prosecuted, for alleged crimes? Big difference. 

I see what you tried doing there, though 

He’s been investigated........over and over and over again. What do you want to see him investigated for now? Touching all the produce at Wegmans? Perhaps he doesn’t wear the proper color socks with tan slacks? 

I am going to assume now; that your reason for completely ignoring my questions is because you cannot answer them. I will consider this a waste of my time. At least we didn’t resort to name calling and an argument.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Just now, The Guy In Pants said:

He’s been investigated........over and over and over again. What do you want to see him investigated for now? Touching all the produce at Wegmans? Perhaps he doesn’t wear the proper color socks with tan slacks? 

I'm not picking on Trump, I'm talking about this from a legal standpoint perspective.  You're right, how many times can they investigate before it becomes harassment is another good question, but that's not what we're discussing here

26 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

...and you are being rude and projecting. If you have a case to make, then make it. 

Ummm you must be new here. Tibs does not "make a case" or back-up any of his ridiculous assertions. He's a (paid) doofus who comes on the board (almost) daily to spout Russia! Russia! RUSSIA!, #OrangeManBad, and whatever DNC/Soros talking points come out that day.

Ignore him (literally). You will be happy you did.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, daz28 said:

You: "We don't live in East Germany yet, but give it time. Maybe you can interrogate me in the future.?"

Me: "That's fair, I just fail to understand why you choose not to share, and why I'm East Germany for asking?"

Or maybe you did, and maybe it's you misrepresenting.

Name one other time you mistakenly thought I misrepresented you?

What does this mean???  Are you saying you should be able to be charged after you're tried and found guilty??  All I see here is Covfefe

No, Im saying no one is above the law. I’m saying no one is guilty unless they are investigated, prosecuted and found guilty. I’m asking what Trump has done to evade prosecution if the investigations turned up enough evidence for crimes in which he should have been tried for? 

14 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

No, Im saying no one is above the law. I’m saying no one is guilty unless they are investigated, prosecuted and found guilty. I’m asking what Trump has done to evade prosecution if the investigations turned up enough evidence for crimes in which he should have been tried for? 

I didn't say he committed a crime.  I only asked if you thought he should be able to be charged with one if he did.  I don't look at it from a Trump angle, because in 10 years it might be a Democrat or a Republican.  Do you think that person should be able to be charged with a crime while acting as sitting president.  You're making this WAYYY more difficult than it needs to be

1 hour ago, daz28 said:

I didn't say he committed a crime.  I only asked if you thought he should be able to be charged with one if he did.  I don't look at it from a Trump angle, because in 10 years it might be a Democrat or a Republican.  Do you think that person should be able to be charged with a crime while acting as sitting president.  You're making this WAYYY more difficult than it needs to be

Well, the reason for the confusion is I have been conversing with Tiberius; not you. You had your own dialogue with Reality Check. You’ve never posed the question to me; as far as I could tell. 

So, if that is your question I’ll give you my non-legal student opinion. If the investigation finds a crime, then to an extent, possibly. Very fine line. There are many variables. You simply cannot play partisan politics and investigate until you find a crime just because you want to remove a president of opposite political party. 

In Trumps case; this is all partisan politics. Or at the very least; shown to be so with the number of “we’ve got him now” investigations.

Gator's stupidity (and Reality Check's messing with his stupidity) aside, this is actually a pretty interesting legal question.

It's fairly clear from the Federalist Papers that the Founding Fathers intended impeachment/removal to be the sole remedy while someone is a sitting president. Once they're removed from office, then they can be prosecuted. It makes little sense to have the president prosecuted in federal court by the Department of Justice... which he controls. It also prevents political asshattery from rogue federal prosecutors who simply do not agree with a policy decision (sound familiar?).

A state charging a sitting president is a far more interesting question. With the concept of dual sovereigns, can a state charge a sitting president for committing a crime on that stat's semi-sovereign soil? Of course, if the answer is yes, then you have nakedly partisan and thoroughly corrupt asshats like Cy Vance inventing charges because the president sharted on 5th Avenue.

Ultimately, the answer is going to be that no, a sitting president cannot be prosecuted by a state while he is in office. Any other ruling simply creates more nakedly-partisan chaos, and renders the office (and the federal government) meaningless. No president - or congress critter - will be able to function once political opponents in the states start criminalizing and prosecuting any pretextual "crime" for policy decisions/votes they don't like.

Oh, and I made fried chicken.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

45 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Well, the reason for the confusion is I have been conversing with Tiberius; not you. You had your own dialogue with Reality Check. You’ve never posed the question to me; as far as I could tell. 

So, if that is your question I’ll give you my non-legal student opinion. If the investigation finds a crime, then to an extent, yes. There are many variables. You simply cannot play partisan politics and investigate until you find a crime just because you want to remove a president of opposite political party.

This is the problem.  In these partisan times can we trust them with that responsibility? Can we trust the DOJ to not be partisan?  The fact these are even questions is a testament to how bad things really are right now.  

40 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yes. He can.

I believe Trump, Barr, and Kavanaugh all believe that he can't.  So are you disagreeing with them?  If so, is there really any recourse other than impeachment and removal?

2 minutes ago, daz28 said:

This is the problem.  In these partisan times can we trust them with that responsibility? Can we trust the DOJ to not be partisan?  The fact these are even questions is a testament to how bad things really are right now.  

Well, “we” trusted them for 8 years under Obama and it’s just now coming out that we may have some serious issues on our hands. The difference between Obama and Trump is Obama was able to play our emotional and soft, comforting violins; Trump says whatever he wants. I voted for Obama the first time. I also voted for Trump in 2018. I’ll be voting for him again unless everything I’ve been told existed for the last 3 years comes out as 100% true. So far; the career pols in D.C are batting 0.

I see your point and understand where you are coming from. How can we be sure partisan politics isn’t playing a role? I have no idea. I see partisan politics right now; but it’s not from Bill Barr that I can see.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I see partisan politics right now; but it’s not from Bill Barr that I can see.

I'm not gonna call Barr dirty, but he's been around the center of some partisan issues for a long time, and he is not afraid to be political.  Certainly not my idea of an ideal AG

7 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I'm not gonna call Barr dirty, but he's been around the center of some partisan issues for a long time, and he is not afraid to be political.  Certainly not my idea of an ideal AG

Hard pressed to find anyone who been in D.C longer than a year who hasn’t been. Many start out with great intentions only to find themselves forced to comply with the status quo. 

9 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Hard pressed to find anyone who been in D.C longer than a year who hasn’t been. Many start out with great intentions only to find themselves forced to comply with the status quo. 

If message boards had been around since 1960, we'd be on the 75,638,463,9264,907 page of the 'Washington slimes us again' thread in PPP.  For all we know this has been going on since 1800, but they take short periodic breaks from sliming us.  

Edited by daz28

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ummm you must be new here. Tibs does not "make a case" or back-up any of his ridiculous assertions. He's a (paid) doofus who comes on the board (almost) daily to spout Russia! Russia! RUSSIA!, #OrangeManBad, and whatever DNC/Soros talking points come out that day.

I was just having some fun. He provides a little target practice. I don't know if you're a mother or not, but if you are, happy Mothers Day.

20 minutes ago, daz28 said:

If message boards had been around since 1960, we'd be on the 75,638,463,9264,907 page of the 'Washington slimes us again' thread in PPP.  For all we know this has been going on since 1800, but they take short periodic breaks from sliming us.  

You are not wrong, we have been on the receiving end of propaganda from competing foreign and domestic business interests for a couple of centuries. The BS we have been fed is a real horror show.

3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Everyone. Didn’t you know that?

I got mine already! Theres at least 1 grand more than what should be in my account!

3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Stormy. 

You were the sunshine, baby, whenever you smiled
But I call you Stormy today
All of a sudden that ole rain's fallin' down
And my world is cloudy and gray
You've gone away
Oh Stormy, oh Stormy
Bring back that sunny day

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Actually I disagree- I think Tibs is honest with his opinions and simply does feels that narratives are more important than facts. Tibs is highly entertaining when he is try my to be serious. Lastly ask Tibs direct questions and you get hilarious replies that are not vaguely related to topic.

• Thank you (+1) 2

After being cooped up in the house for 6 weeks, finally got out and drove around town.  I treated the wife for one of her favorite burgers, the Thick Burger from Hardee's.  It really hit the spot and now we both will have to pay the price with agita for the next 12 hours.

• Like (+1) 2