Jump to content

Anyone on here living in Adirondacks?


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

...Clarkson U in Potsdam...........

Niece’s son graduated from there last year.  
now down in Arlington close to my son and his wife. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mead107 said:

Niece’s son graduated from there last year.  
now down in Arlington close to my son and his wife. 

 

 

...LMAO...when I graduated, tuition, room and board was $4,850....now WELL north of 60 grand....FHA financing available.....:thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Adirondacks.

 

It's where we spent all of our summer vacations when I was a kid.  (Saranac Lake and Lake Placid, before the Olympics ruined that town.)

I still always have to go up there for a visit whenever I'm back in America.

 

I have an ADK balsam pillow in my wardrobe that is about 10 years old, but smells like it was made yesterday.  Every so often, I put my face right in it, take a deep breath and am instantly transported back to the North Country. Ahhh...

 

Just two days ago, I was on a construction site in Golden Bay (NZ) with an English chap who said the visited NYS back in '68.  We spent an hour sharing stories of hiking and paddling in the ADKs.  Lake Tear of The Clouds was his favourite place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I live in central NY and have had a small cabin in the Saranac Lake/Lake Placid area for sixteen years. We get season passes at Iceface and XC ski in the Winter. During the Summer it’s all fun and games with hiking and paddling. Until recently our plan after retirement was build a house on the property. Instead we’ve bought a home on the Maine coast to retire to. Part of the reason is that later in life when we’re not as physically active and not doing outdoor activities we thought we might be to isolated. The pluses to the SL/LP area are the outdoor activities, we have developed friendships there, and my view as a visitor is that SL has a strong sense of community. The negatives are the poor economy and the cold Winters. For retirees (there are many in the region) the economy isn’t an issue. It really is cold there in Winter. People are used to it and it doesn’t dominate conversation until it hits at least -25 or so.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to spend summers at Tupper Lake.  Have not been up there in almost 30 years.  Saranac was only about 25 miles and Lake Placid a bit beyond that.  It's a very nice area but seemed very economically depressed.

 

It was a 7-8 hr drive from Buffalo.  Very boring, for a kid.  Would have loved to have seen even one deer.  Nothing!!  Now, in Virginia the fuggers are everywhere.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My aunt and uncle have a great place on Cranberry Lake.  They live there all year long.  It’s so beautiful and peaceful there.  We spend at least a week there every summer, and always have a great time.  One negative in that area is that there are NO restaurants or bars in the immediate area.  Not much to do there other than relax and enjoy the lake....which is great for a week or so.

 

I don’t know how they live there in the winter though.  They have snowmobiles and they do ice fishing and try to keep busy with other stuff, but the way they talk about living there in the winter...sounds like a real drag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My aunt and uncle have a great place on Cranberry Lake.  They live there all year long.  It’s so beautiful and peaceful there.  We spend at least a week there every summer, and always have a great time.  One negative in that area is that there are NO restaurants or bars in the immediate area.  Not much to do there other than relax and enjoy the lake....which is great for a week or so.

 

I don’t know how they live there in the winter though.  They have snowmobiles and they do ice fishing and try to keep busy with other stuff, but the way they talk about living there in the winter...sounds like a real drag.

 

I recall there being one bar by a small marina, which was very close to the state campground.  I remember because I was camping with two friends of mine.  One would not shut his ***** mouth.  I mean, this dude talked NON ***** STOP.   Picture exiled in the shoutbox personified and magnified by 10 gazillion.  I left and drove to the bar just to get away for a bit.

 

But yes .... Cranberry Lake is absolutely beautiful and it is incredibly remote.  I'd love to camp there again.  Without that dude.

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gugny said:

 

I recall there being one bar by a small marina, which was very close to the state campground.  I remember because I was camping with two friends of mine.  One would not shut his ***** mouth.  I mean, this dude talked NON ***** STOP.   Picture exiled in the shoutbox personified and magnified by 10 gazillion.  I left and drove to the bar just to get away for a bit.

 

But yes .... Cranberry Lake is absolutely beautiful and it is incredibly remote.  I'd love to camp there again.  Without that dude.

 

Yeah, there was one bar near the SUNY ESF property that was only accessible by boat.  That place shut down before last summer.  The other place in town that we know of was shut down too.  Sounded like it was temporary though.  There’s the public library and a little general store now, but I kinda liked it without any businesses.  It was just so peaceful and relaxing.  Good bass fishing too.  I couldn’t imagine living there full time though.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

...Clarkson U in Potsdam...........

I went to Potsdam U in Potsdam. 4 seasons...early winter, middle winter, late winter, and the 4th of July. Let me guess, you had a friend freshman year that flunked out of Clarkson, went to Potsdam, and raised the IQ of both schools.

Edited by Steve O
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Steve O said:

I went to Potsdam U in Potsdam. 4 seasons...early winter, middle winter, late winter, and the 4th of July. Let me guess, you had a friend freshman year that flunked out of Clarkson, went to Potsdam, and raised the IQ of both schools.

 

...LOL.....took my son years ago to a college fair......walked by the Clarkson booth....recruiter was telling parents, " the Clarkson University campus is the safest in the country.......because NOBODY goes outside from November to March"...........still remember those -35 below zero nights...and I hate the cold now...go figure...........

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Steve O said:

I went to Potsdam U in Potsdam. 4 seasons...early winter, middle winter, late winter, and the 4th of July. Let me guess, you had a friend freshman year that flunked out of Clarkson, went to Potsdam, and raised the IQ of both schools.

 

Pretty good party school.  Always had fun visiting friends there.  And those deep fried pizzas?  Fuggettabboutit!!

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I considered it years ago since I work on the road, so if I can get to an airport, I could live anywhere.  Never got very far in looking, but I was thinking Saranac Lake area.  My requirements were simple, a decent grocery store, high speed Internet, and major shopping within an hour drive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I considered it years ago since I work on the road, so if I can get to an airport, I could live anywhere.  Never got very far in looking, but I was thinking Saranac Lake area.  My requirements were simple, a decent grocery store, high speed Internet, and major shopping within an hour drive. 


SL/LP area exactly fulfills those requirements. The airport can support wide body jets and Cape Air has regular connecting flights. There’s enough money in LP to support several grocery stores and restaurants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to go to Nick's Lake (Old Forge) for one week every year when the kids were younger. It is beautiful if you can get a lake front site. We would rent a canoe for the week, and spent many nights under the stars. The kids and even some adults who came by had never seen the Milky Way before! 

No motor boats was a big reason we liked it there.

 

We started our family  vacations with tenting camping at Eighth Lake, near Inlet, but after a few years and and four kids we got a popup just to get off the ground!

We had a great time hiking Blue Mountain, but it was a killer if you are out of shape!

 

The last time we were in the Adirondacks was a BNB at Indian Lake which was OK but I prefer the Saranac Lake area. 

 

These days we do BNBs, mostly in the town of Woodstock in the Catskills. I have grown to love it there. The Woodstock Festival was probably 90 minutes from there, FYI.

It is just a good place to stay and do day trips. 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been staying at the Inn and now AirBnBs on Big Moose Lake (near Inlet) since 1978.  . Went there as a kid. Now go there with my college aged own kid. 
 

 Favorite place on earth  The whole chain of hikes, lakes, and towns from Old Forge to Blue Mountain. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...