"A mask for every American" Dhvani.com

Hapless Bills Fan

On 4/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

Where do the live?  I'm In in Virginia and doubt that I threaten them in ANY way!  

This is a virus that takes a community effort to beat.   I’m not for locking down anyone but if someone doesn’t see the benefit of wearing a mask as to reduce the spread, I don’t understand why.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again - why should I respect a choice of yours that I can reasonably view as a threat to my well-being or my mother's life, not to mention potentially to our ability to open up and function as a society?  If you want to be part of that society - shop in stores, go to work, etc - why shouldn't you be asked to make a change that protects societal function and health of other individuals such as wearing a mask in public?  How does that differ from accepting other social standards, like wearing clothing in public or not relieving yourself in the potted plants outside the bar?

I don't think "but that politician, who will always get first-class front of the line health care for himself and his family and first priority for covid-19 testing, doesn't do it" is a very valid argument for you to not protect the health of the nursing home aide you encounter in the grocery store, who may work at a VA nursing home and unwittingly infect a whole wing of patients if her for-profit workplace isn't providing the workers with adequate PPE.

I think the gun thing is a bit of an extreme as an analogy. 

And I hate wearing a mask while I'm out walking the dog.  It's already hot and bothersome here in St Louis.  It keeps me from smelling the roses (literally!  handmade, but good mask with shop towel filters).  But I do it, because I view it as a civic duty to protect my fellow citizens should I unknowingly be infected, and as my small individual contribution towards being able to reopen our country safely ASAP.

I personally would strenuously resist being forced to put a blue dot on my forehead to "prove" I am safe, because scientifically, there's no such proof at present - applied to a group, antibody tests are useful in showing what the overall infection rate is in a community.  On an individual basis, an antibody test showing anti-covid-19 antibodies could occur while I still have an active viral infection.  It could also result from a lab error, or a false positive.  So it really doesn't "prove" much, objectively.

I get the blue dot ...it was a little extreme to prove a point, but I can, or may die from either the virus or the gun. In both cases I would not have a choice, but the citizen who refuses to control the gun or wear the mask ( in the presence of others not including a dog) can expell the virus on me, or a blank and they do not know, BUT they have control of the situation so therefore they are guilty as sure as they would be knowing they had the virus and spit in your face. This has already been proven in the aids scenario.

54 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

I get the blue dot ...it was a little extreme to prove a point, but I can, or may die from either the virus or the gun. In both cases I would not have a choice, but the citizen who refuses to control the gun or wear the mask ( in the presence of others not including a dog) can expell the virus on me, or a blank and they do not know, BUT they have control of the situation so therefore they are guilty as sure as they would be knowing they had the virus and spit in your face. This has already been proven in the aids scenario.

I appreciate the spirit, but truly I think it's not as helpful of an analogy as you might believe.  The consequences of pointing a loaded gun at someone and pulling the trigger are clear-cut and undeniable.

The consequences of not wearing a mask are, at present, not so clear ..... how many people are asymptomatically infected? do they have the same viral load and are they as infectious as symptomatic people?  unknown....but there is increasing evidence that asymptomatic transmission plays a role in propagating the covid-19 infection, which is why the CDC went from "just stay home if you're ill, and wash your hands" to "wear a mask or covering over your face in public" as more was learned about transmission.

I find it difficult to understand why people wouldn't be willing to reduce the chance that they may unknowingly be infected and pass the infection to others, some of whom may be more susceptible and become more seriously ill or who may be in contact with many vulnerable people (a nursing home aide, shopping in the same grocery store as you, say).  I know a lot of people with a lot of different political and religious viewpoints and most of them, including those who think very differently than I on politics, are fundamentally IME very decent caring people - people who will donate time and money to help food pantries, say.

I'm betting the same of people I read here "I'm not wearing a mask, respect my choice."  I bet they're people who might hear of a family suffering cancer and pull out their wallet to help fund transportation to treatment if the family can't afford it.  Or hear of a breadwinner for 6 who had to quarantine without pay 2 weeks and gladly buy them some groceries. 

It just puzzles me that not wearing a mask seems such an issue for people like that.  Whatever is proven down the road, it seems like such a relatively low-cost, low-trouble minimal personal contribution to help society get back close to normal, ASAP.  If me (or you) wearing a mask can help break even one or two transmission chains that might wind up with dozens of sick elders, why wouldn't one choose to do that? 

Especially - returning to the subject of this thread - when there is a company willing to send any American a mask, free of charge, and trust to donations to keep it going.
https://www.dhvani.com/pages/freemasks

• Awesome! (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I appreciate the spirit, but truly I think it's not as helpful of an analogy as you might believe.  The consequences of pointing a loaded gun at someone and pulling the trigger are clear-cut and undeniable.

The consequences of not wearing a mask are, at present, not so clear ..... how many people are asymptomatically infected? do they have the same viral load and are they as infectious as symptomatic people?  unknown....but there is increasing evidence that asymptomatic transmission plays a role in propagating the covid-19 infection, which is why the CDC went from "just stay home if you're ill, and wash your hands" to "wear a mask or covering over your face in public" as more was learned about transmission.

I find it difficult to understand why people wouldn't be willing to reduce the chance that they may unknowingly be infected and pass the infection to others, some of whom may be more susceptible and become more seriously ill or who may be in contact with many vulnerable people (a nursing home aide, shopping in the same grocery store as you, say).  I know a lot of people with a lot of different political and religious viewpoints and most of them, including those who think very differently than I on politics, are fundamentally IME very decent caring people - people who will donate time and money to help food pantries, say.

I'm betting the same of people I read here "I'm not wearing a mask, respect my choice" - I bet they're people who might hear of a family suffering cancer and pull out their wallet to help fund transportation to treatment if the family can't afford it.  Or hear of a breadwinner for 6 who had to quarantine without pay 2 weeks and gladly buy them some groceries.

It just puzzles me that not wearing a mask seems such an issue for people.  Whatever is proven down the road, it just seems like such a relatively low-cost, low-trouble minimal personal contribution to help society get back close to normal, ASAP.  If me (or you) wearing a mask can help break even one or two transmission chains that might wind up with dozens of sick elders, why wouldn't one choose to do that? 

Especially - returning to the subject of this thread - when there is a company willing to send any American a mask, free of charge.
https://www.dhvani.com/pages/freemasks

Couldn't have said it better myself.  

A few days ago, I filled out the fields on the OP site and then it said that I would need to respond to an email in order to finish the process. I never got the email, even checked in the junk folder. Is this a case of their system being overwhelmed and they will send one anyway, or do I fill it out again?

...not to by any means diminishing the need/vigilance to wear a mask, but there is no mention of other passengers, so one can only assume she was driving alone.....I'm a layperson and NOT a scientist so I cannot judge her discretion......thankfully she survived the crash.....

NJ police say 'excessive wearing' of coronavirus mask contributed to driver passing out, crashing car

By Robert Gearty | Fox News

A New Jersey woman who crashed her car into a power pole may have passed out after wearing an N95 coronavirus mask behind the wheel for several hours, police said.

The woman was taken to a local hospital with a complaint of pain after Thursday’s accident on a two-lane road, the Lincoln Park Police Department said.

“The crash is believed to have resulted from the driver wearing an N95 mask for several hours and subsequently passing out behind the wheel due to insufficient oxygen intake/excessive carbon dioxide intake,” the department said on Facebook Friday.

The department offered further explanation in a subsequent post, noting the "overwhelming response" to its original statement.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nj-police-say-excessive-wearing-of-n95-coronavirus-mask-contributed-to-woman-passing-out-crashing-car

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

A few days ago, I filled out the fields on the OP site and then it said that I would need to respond to an email in order to finish the process. I never got the email, even checked in the junk folder. Is this a case of their system being overwhelmed and they will send one anyway, or do I fill it out again?

No advice, sorry, but I find it easy to believe they're overwhelmed.  I would try filling it out again and maybe using a different email address.

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...not to by any means diminishing the need/vigilance to wear a mask, but there is no mention of other passengers, so one can only assume she was driving alone.....I'm a layperson and NOT a scientist so I cannot judge her discretion......thankfully she survived the crash.....

NJ police say 'excessive wearing' of coronavirus mask contributed to driver passing out, crashing car

By Robert Gearty | Fox News

A New Jersey woman who crashed her car into a power pole may have passed out after wearing an N95 coronavirus mask behind the wheel for several hours, police said.

The woman was taken to a local hospital with a complaint of pain after Thursday’s accident on a two-lane road, the Lincoln Park Police Department said.

“The crash is believed to have resulted from the driver wearing an N95 mask for several hours and subsequently passing out behind the wheel due to insufficient oxygen intake/excessive carbon dioxide intake,” the department said on Facebook Friday.

The department offered further explanation in a subsequent post, noting the "overwhelming response" to its original statement.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nj-police-say-excessive-wearing-of-n95-coronavirus-mask-contributed-to-woman-passing-out-crashing-car

You and I have discussed this and while I couldn't rule it out....I'm pretty dubious.  They say in the article "nothing was uncovered at the accident scene that would suggest that the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol" which I take as meaning she didn't have a six-pack of empties tossed behind the seat, a bottle of Fireball in the glove compartment, or evidence of drug use.... but did they perform a blood test for drugs or alcohol?  They don't say....

My expectation would be that someone above the waterline who is experiencing CO2 buildup would have a normal impulse and remove the mask or pull it to one side.

Per this source, symptoms of CO2 poisoning would include:

Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, rapid breathing and heart rate, and flushing can occur with carbon dioxide poisoning

Before:
Severe cases of carbon dioxide toxicity progress to confusion, convulsions, and loss of consciousness.

So per the Lincoln Park PD theory to be correct, someone wearing a mask developed CO2 poisoning without experiencing rapid breathing and heartrate, the experience of feeling very short of breath, nausea, dizziness, or headache and deciding to pull aside the mask or pull over and stop the car and call for help, they just lost consciousness and hit something.  This is my "I guess it could happen, but I'm skeptical" face.

That said, I personally wouldn't wear an N95 mask inside my own car when I am driving alone any more than I'd wear one inside my own house.  Additional exposure to sweat, breath moisture, etc won't help its longievity.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You and I have discussed this and while I couldn't rule it out....I'm pretty dubious.  They say in the article "nothing was uncovered at the accident scene that would suggest that the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol" which I take as meaning she didn't have a six-pack of empties tossed behind the seat, a bottle of Fireball in the glove compartment, or evidence of drug use.... but did they perform a blood test for drugs or alcohol?  They don't say....

My expectation would be that someone above the waterline who is experiencing CO2 buildup would have a normal impulse and remove the mask or pull it to one side.

Per this source, symptoms of CO2 poisoning would include:

Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, rapid breathing and heart rate, and flushing can occur with carbon dioxide poisoning

Before:
Severe cases of carbon dioxide toxicity progress to confusion, convulsions, and loss of consciousness.

So per the Lincoln Park PD theory to be correct, someone wearing a mask developed CO2 poisoning without experiencing rapid breathing and heartrate, the experience of feeling very short of breath, nausea, dizziness, or headache and deciding to pull aside the mask or pull over and stop the car and call for help, they just lost consciousness and hit something.  This is my "I guess it could happen, but I'm skeptical" face.

That said, I personally wouldn't wear an N95 mask inside my own car when I am driving alone any more than I'd wear one inside my own house.  Additional exposure to sweat, breath moisture, etc won't help its longievity.

...I am in full compliance as far as wearing a mask in public (a painter's mask).....but it does get uncomfortable as far as feeling sweatiness under it, yet bearable in deference to others, but I do remove it upon returning to my car....yet I do notice many single occupancy vehicles wearing the paper style blue masks......perhaps they think if they were to sneeze or cough out dropletts that eventual passengers would be exposed.....I see walkers daily on my street wearing a mask while walking alone....if that makes them feel safer, so be it and I would NEVER pre-judge or criticize their choices as I have NO basis.....these are uncharted times perhaps going back to circa 1917 that we have never seen.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, UConn James said:

Fill it out again. You need to respond to the email for your mask request to be finalized. If you don’t respond to the email I don’t think it sends in your mask request. 

It did take about 1/2 a day for me to get the email. So if you don’t get it by tomorrow I’d try again. 

• Like (+1) 1

Has anyone received a mask from them yet? I'm just curious to know: how long did it take, and what what did you think  of the mask itself?  

Also, since I didn't see it mentioned (which means little as I'm doing a lot of skimming these days) I think you should be careful HOW you take your mask on an off. I'm someone who never wears a mask in my house, car, on a walk in an open area. I try to always wear one when I'll be interacting with other people. I was taught to handle the mask by the strings if necessary---but basically, never touching the outside of the front of the mask. Then when you put it back on, you are using fingers (even if gloved) that could be infected,

As always on this stuff, I defer to Hapless or any of the doctors/medical scientists on the forum. 

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Has anyone received a mask from them yet? I'm just curious to know: how long did it take, and what what did you think  of the mask itself?  

Also, since I didn't see it mentioned (which means little as I'm doing a lot of skimming these days) I think you should be careful HOW you take your mask on an off. I'm someone who never wears a mask in my house, car, on a walk in an open area. I try to always wear one when I'll be interacting with other people. I was taught to handle the mask by the strings if necessary---but basically, never touching the outside of the front of the mask. Then when you put it back on, you are using fingers (even if gloved) that could be infected,

As always on this stuff, I defer to Hapless or any of the doctors/medical scientists on the forum. 

You should probably purell your hands when touching the mask.  Even if you end up touching your mask with your contaminated hands by accident, you won't be spreading the virus through your breath.

My mom is making masks from old clothes.  

19 hours ago, meazza said:

You should probably purell your hands when touching the mask.  Even if you end up touching your mask with your contaminated hands by accident, you won't be spreading the virus through your breath.

My mom is making masks from old clothes.  

Good idea, but I'm officially out of sanitizer (unless I can find the bottle's I know I have somewhere).  I do keep hand cleanser/water/paper towels in my car, though,

On 4/30/2020 at 8:42 PM, The Dean said:

You're 100% on the right track that you need to be mindful of the outside of the mask, as it should be assumed to be contaminated, and also of protecting the (clean) inside of the mask.  Handling only by the ear loops or strings is fine with a medical procedure mask or a cloth mask with ear loops.  (BUT, if the mask has a nose wire, you may need to adjust the nose wire to get a good seal.  Go ahead and do so, then wash your hands or sanitize them.)

That said, for any mask that makes a seal (a dust mask, an N95 mask, a vapor mask) I find it very difficult to put on so it seals correctly without handling the outside of the mask.  What I do is just accept that.  I put my right hand on the outside of the mask, with the elastics behind my hand. 

I put it into position on my face and hold it there.  Then I use my other hand to bring the top elastic gently over the top of my head above my ears, and the lower elastic gently over the top of my head to below my ears.  I adjust the nose clip and ensure I have a good seal (it should not be fogging your glasses, or you don't have a seal).  After donning, I assume my hands are contaminated and scrub or sanitize them.

To remove, I reverse the process then slide the mask carefully into a paper-towel lined 4 or 6 cup round plastic storage container, being careful to not touch the inside of the mask.  then I assume my hands are super-contaminated and scrub them twice.  Cover the mask loosely with the clean lid and there it sits until I need it again.  The storage container can be labeled with the name of each household member, and also marked with date of last use.

When re-using, lift a corner of the paper towel and slide right hand under the mask, between the mask and the elastic bands.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:42 PM, The Dean said:

I have not, and I submitted my request on April 21st. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I have not, and I submitted my request on April 21st. 

I haven't, but its only been about a week since I ordered.

On a side note, I ordered masks on Amazon that were supposed to arrive on April 9th, and I finally got them today.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Special K said:

On a side note, I ordered masks on Amazon that were supposed to arrive on April 9th, and I finally got them today.

Same here. Ordered my mask from Dhvani about a week ago. 

They said that they prioritize shipments for healthcare + frontline workers first,average Americans 2nd. So I expect it’ll take a few weeks at least. It’s free though, I’ll be pretty happy as long as it eventually comes. 

My amazon masks came much quicker than yours though. I ordered a 4 pack of KN95 masks last Monday afternoon and received them 4 days later. Sounds like I lucked out with the seller I picked. I see lots of people on amazon saying the same thing as you.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

They said that they prioritize shipments for healthcare + frontline workers first,average Americans 2nd. So I expect it’ll take a few weeks at least. It’s free though, I’ll be pretty happy as long as it eventually comes. 

I am in the healthcare industry (I’m essential and have the letter to prove it) so that’s what I selected when I placed my order.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Special K said:

I had masks from Amazon for work ordered and got a email that "shipment was lost".  We have had decent support from Chemung County and just got lucky on some other internet sites.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I am in the healthcare industry (I’m essential and have the letter to prove it) so that’s what I selected when I placed my order.  

Keep us posted, very curious to know.  I have NOT ordered a mask myself as we are decently supplied with cloth masks and I am not entitled to a good mask.

Our local Menard's (big box home improvement & hardware store) instituted a new policy today: you must wear a mask to enter the store.

If you didn't have a mask, you could purchase one from them for $1.

Our neighbor reported there were people going ballistic, INSISTING on their right to enter a privately-owned business without complying with the requirements said business established - and was making possible for them to comply at a nominal cost.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.