"A mask for every American" Dhvani.com

Hapless Bills Fan

9 hours ago, The Dean said:

OK, nearly two months after requesting my mask it was delivered.  The pictures I took are apparently too large to post. Maybe I'll reduce them and post them another day.

The mask seems to be nice and of decent quality. It isn't bad looking either.

This mask inside liner was a bit too large for the mask itself, and has a big fold right where your nose goes. If I could actually wear the mask (more on that later) I'm thinking it might be the weird thing on your nose you can't get rid of. Maybe it is no issue whatsoever. Still it looks like a second you'd find in an outlet store.

When I tried it on for the first time. I noticed it was way too big. Then I discovered it was adjustable. Awesome. When I tried to adjust it, one of the plastic loops that changes the length of the ear straps was completely cracked and useless. So until/unless I devise a new adjustment mechanism, the mask is useless to me. Which  is fine. When I ordered it I had no mask. Now (two months later) I have several.

No I'm not sending it back. It was "free" and it took two months to arrive. But I'm probably not donating a second time, as planned. I feel bad for Dhvani as I suspect they got in over their heads and are now just pumping out stuff without much QC.

Obviously this might be a great marketing tool--it should be. But I think this might backfire on them, in the end. Given the poor quality, why would I buy something from them for a lady friend?

Hi Dean,

Thank you very much for the report. 

It jibes with my perception - a company with a good idea that got over their head, or that maybe expected an outpouring of support that they didn't receive as masks became more available from various sources.

If you send a pic of the adjustment mechanism/ear loops I might have specific notions about how to engineer a solution. 

PSA:

IN GENERAL, there are two ways to tighten ear loops for a too big mask.  One is to put a twist in the loop before it goes over your ear.  The second, and more generally applicable and effective, is to devise a strap that passes around the back of your head (up slightly, across the bone that's roughly parallel to the tops of your ears) and fastens to the ear loops somehow.  A lot of things can be used for the purpose - people make short elastic or knit strips and sew buttons on each end, shoelace you slide through and either tie or put a toggle onto, short strap with velcro on each end, lanyard with toggle that can clip to the ear loops and be adjusted to fasten tight etc etc.

One of these two is usually the cure when a "procedure mask" style face mask slips down off the nose.

8 hours ago, The Dean said:

dhvani 4c.jpg

dhvani 3c.jpg

I can probably just use a safety pin on one side.

BTW, I went ahead and made a second (smaller) donation. 

You might try reaching out (they seem to respond to Facebook messages) or emailing and ask them to send you another cordlock.

Those are common cordlocks, but they're normally sold in lots of 50

https://www.amazon.com/Toggles-Drawstrings-Elastic-Adjuster-Adjustment/dp/B08BL9Q48F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=cord+toggle&qid=1593046278&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFYTURXRldWQUs4SlImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNjAwMzAxWkZITUxWM09BQVczJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNzIxMTU1QThWNUI0TU9KUkUmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

You can also use a piece of silicon tubing if you want it adjustable (if you pick something similar and ask for a small sample, Ace Hardware would probably give you)

Being pragmatic, sure, just use a pin and adjust the other side, then when you've got it to a good size stitch the two sides together and take out the pin. 

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You might try reaching out (they seem to respond to Facebook messages) or emailing and ask them to send you another cordlock.

Those are common cordlocks, but they're normally sold in lots of 50

https://www.amazon.com/Toggles-Drawstrings-Elastic-Adjuster-Adjustment/dp/B08BL9Q48F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=cord+toggle&qid=1593046278&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFYTURXRldWQUs4SlImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNjAwMzAxWkZITUxWM09BQVczJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNzIxMTU1QThWNUI0TU9KUkUmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

You can also use a piece of silicon tubing if you want it adjustable (if you pick something similar and ask for a small sample, Ace Hardware would probably give you)

Being pragmatic, sure, just use a pin and adjust the other side, then when you've got it to a good size stitch the two sides together and take out the pin. 

The tubing and/or stitching are probably the way I'll go if I decide to do anything. The only reason I'd bother to fix it now, is because it is a little classier than the standard KN95 and cloth masks I have. Maybe a "special occasion" mask? ?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Got an email today to officially order my mask.  Thought I did that last year when they first started advertising it.  Anyways, yes, the mask is free, just need to pay shipping, about $7.  No thanks. I've got plenty of masks now.  

22 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Got an email today to officially order my mask.  Thought I did that last year when they first started advertising it.  Anyways, yes, the mask is free, just need to pay shipping, about $7.  No thanks. I've got plenty of masks now.  

I also signed up in April of 2020 and just finally got an e-mail saying my mask is ready to ship.😆

I'd rather they just donate it to whoever might still be in need, as my house is not lacking for masks these days.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.