Doing work searches while unemp? (Edit: regarding NYS)

akcash

30 minutes ago, akcash said:

Are people generally doing them while laid off?

I believe they are required... I didn't do any last week as it was my first week claiming... 

I wish I could help, but I don’t have a clue. All I can say is this is going to change the way a lot of things are done going forward. Much more will be done virtually in both hiring and operations. My wife used to travel about 3 weeks/month and they are learning to get by without that cost and burden. I don’t think that will ever be what it used to be. 

Her employer has lost a number of people in significant positions during all of this. Some had to be in the works for a while, but some happened because people found a way through technology. Now, the search to replace those people will have to happen the same way.

Unfortunately, how do you apply for a position that does not currently exist? Is anyone interviewing dental hygienists right now?  Best of luck to you going forward. Any chance the old job reappears when things open back up? I’ve got to believe unemployment benefit requirements are taking into account the fact that very few employers are even talking to anyone right now. 

That’s a lot of words to say.....I don’t know. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, akcash said:

I believe they are required... I didn't do any last week as it was my first week claiming... 

I doubt they have the manpower to enforce that at the moment. Could be wrong, but...

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Check your state’s govt websites for guidance. Ohio waived the job search requirement for all unemployment claims relating to the Covid, but not sure if that’s the case everywhere. 

This is the case in New York state as well. If you're unemployed due to the virus and are expected to resume your job once restrictions are lifted then you don't need to job search. The offices for that stuff are closed. I'm unemployed at the moment due to the virus and I received a letter last week that covered this. You're welcome to use their online resources or whatever but you're not required as you usually would if you were unemployed for another reason. 

21 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Check your state’s govt websites for guidance. Ohio waived the job search requirement for all unemployment claims relating to the Covid, but not sure if that’s the case everywhere. 

Yeah I checked and didn't see it anywhere for NYS. I also found, like Ohio, Penn. Is not enforcing that requirement at this time.

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

I wish I could help, but I don’t have a clue. All I can say is this is going to change the way a lot of things are done going forward. Much more will be done virtually in both hiring and operations. My wife used to travel about 3 weeks/month and they are learning to get by without that cost and burden. I don’t think that will ever be what it used to be. 

Her employer has lost a number of people in significant positions during all of this. Some had to be in the works for a while, but some happened because people found a way through technology. Now, the search to replace those people will have to happen the same way.

Unfortunately, how do you apply for a position that does not currently exist? Is anyone interviewing dental hygienists right now?  Best of luck to you going forward. Any chance the old job reappears when things open back up? I’ve got to believe unemployment benefit requirements are taking into account the fact that very few employers are even talking to anyone right now. 

That’s a lot of words to say.....I don’t know. 

Thank you for the reflection though I appreciate it. I'm about 85-90 percent sure the job i was working will be there if things go back to halfway normal.

6 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

This is the case in New York state as well. If you're unemployed due to the virus and are expected to resume your job once restrictions are lifted then you don't need to job search. The offices for that stuff are closed. I'm unemployed at the moment due to the virus and I received a letter last week that covered this. You're welcome to use their online resources or whatever but you're not required as you usually would if you were unemployed for another reason. 

I gotcha... yeah I haven't gotten a letter yet... I filed last Monday. I sent the nys.gov (unemp) an inbox letting them know I didn't look for work last week just to cover myself. I looked all over their website I couldn't find anything that said that requirement has been suspended... sent them two inboxes asking about it haven't heard back. I know their busy so I understand that. I did get laid off due to the virus. (I claimed/certified for the first time today for last week.)

Edited by akcash
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, akcash said:

Since finding a job is not "essential" you have to do it all virtually.

Hopefully they do not try to make you go to unemployment office.

I have a friend in Hawaii on SSI.  Office closed and his issue can only be resolved in office so he has been put on hold.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I'm here to help.

Seriously, good luck getting things sorted as quickly as possible.

Best wishes to @akcash and so many others. Our future daughter in law is furloughed and trying to get the whole thing straight. It’s emotional and scary and just a horrible time. They are lucky to have a family safety net. If we get only half the rent on their place for a while it’s no big deal. I’ve been in similar situations with kids and no net, and it SUCKS.

One thing I’ve learned is, we come out at the other end of the dark tunnel. It works out, even if it hurts for a while. It makes us stronger and smarter. I also hope it makes us all appreciate the good times a little more. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, blacklabel said:

If you got a link you could point folks at for this, I believe it would be appreciated

Having kept a toe dipped in the employment market since my retirement at my last employer's bankruptcy, I regularly apply to positions that are of interest.  That digital footprint would seem to give whatever state agency the proof you're trying, if the state is going to figure you should be rattling doors in the midst of a pandemic.

I said no, can't find no job
Therefore I ain't got no money
To pay the rent
She said I don't believe

You're tryin' to find no job
Said I seen you today you was standin' on a corner
Leaning up against a post
I said but I'm tired,

I've been walkin' all day
She said that don't concern me
Long as I get my money next Friday
Now next Friday come I didn't have the rent

And out the door I went...

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2020 at 7:26 PM, akcash said:

Yeah I checked and didn't see it anywhere for NYS. I also found, like Ohio, Penn. Is not enforcing that requirement at this time.

Thank you for the reflection though I appreciate it. I'm about 85-90 percent sure the job i was working will be there if things go back to halfway normal.

I gotcha... yeah I haven't gotten a letter yet... I filed last Monday. I sent the nys.gov (unemp) an inbox letting them know I didn't look for work last week just to cover myself. I looked all over their website I couldn't find anything that said that requirement has been suspended... sent them two inboxes asking about it haven't heard back. I know their busy so I understand that. I did get laid off due to the virus. (I claimed/certified for the first time today for last week.)

I posted a screenshot of the email I received, hopefully that helps some. I don't think I received this email until after I received my first payment from unemployment so maybe you'll get the same one after you receive benefits? But as far as I know, so long as you're returning to your usual job once restrictions are lifted, you don't need to show then you're searching for jorbs.

On 4/13/2020 at 6:20 PM, akcash said:

Only required of you have to call them and last I heard you don't need to do that anymore b.c too many people unemployed.