Should absentee ballots be illegal?

Should absentee ballots be illegal?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should absentee ballots be illegal?

• Yes
    • No

40 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

So the pandemic doesn't move the needle for you as far as this goes?

Can you go out and riot and loot? Can you go hang out in a bar? Can you go sit on the beach? Get your ass to the polling station to vote.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Can you go out and riot and loot? Can you go hang out in a bar? Can you go sit on the beach? Get your ass to the polling station to vote.

The right to vote is one of our most sacred rights, just like our First Amendment rights.  Not everyone is in a situation to just 'get their asses to the polling station'.  Traditionally, with so many Republican voters in the at-risk category for COVID-19 due to age, this seems to me like something the GOP should want.  The fact that Trump is against it seems like he's just trying to give himself an excuse in case the polls hold up this time.

3 hours ago, KRC said:

It sounds like going somewhere to vote is not as dangerous as people are trying to lead people to believe.

According to Cuomo and Newsome, you're safe to mail in your vote provided that when you do it you also order a meal that the state approves as substantial.

Otherwise you get the Covid.

True story.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

The right to vote is one of our most sacred rights, just like our First Amendment rights.  Not everyone is in a situation to just 'get their asses to the polling station'.  Traditionally, with so many Republican voters in the at-risk category for COVID-19 due to age, this seems to me like something the GOP should want.  The fact that Trump is against it seems like he's just trying to give himself an excuse in case the polls hold up this time.

Sure, that's it. Trump wants an "excuse." :blink: 

Did you see what happened in NY-27 special election? The 40+K ballots Erie county dumped in at the last minute after McMurray said there were 15K? Now, maybe McMurray was incorrect in stating 15K. But with how small a sliver Erie county is of NY-27, 40+K ballots dumped in at the last moment was kinda.... er, odd.

Did you read in this thread the mail truck that burned with ballots in it?

Did you read the NJ woes? Did you read the Ohio issues? Shenanigans and then some.

I am all for a purple finger WITH corroborating ID.  Mail-in voting? Not-so-much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

How will the Board of Elections know that I mailed in my ballot?  If I also show up to the polling place on Election Day, will they have crossed my name off the list as already having voted? 

How will I know that my ballot ballot got to where it was supposed to go?

It seems to me that it would be easier, quicker, and more accurate to spend extra money on making polling places safer than spending money on hastily changing every State and Local Board of Elections’ method of conducting an election. 

Or — another proposal would be to require in-person (and usual absentee) voting, but keep the polls open from Sunday-Tuesday. 

This is what they should do if they don’t want chaos. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

AFTER THE ELECTION, WE’LL BE TOLD THAT TRUMP’S OPPOSITION TO MAIL VOTING WAS A NEFARIOUS SCHEME TO GET DEMOCRATS TO DOUBLE DOWN AND SUPPRESS THEIR OWN VOTERS: 

Poll: More Than Half Of Young People Lack Resources To Vote By Mail. 

Among other things, millennials don’t know where to get stamps, apparently.

Related: Despite virus threat, Black voters wary of voting by mail.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, B-Man said:

AFTER THE ELECTION, WE’LL BE TOLD THAT TRUMP’S OPPOSITION TO MAIL VOTING WAS A NEFARIOUS SCHEME TO GET DEMOCRATS TO DOUBLE DOWN AND SUPPRESS THEIR OWN VOTERS: 

Poll: More Than Half Of Young People Lack Resources To Vote By Mail. 

Among other things, millennials don’t know where to get stamps, apparently.

Related: Despite virus threat, Black voters wary of voting by mail.

...Postage?...nope...Food?....yup....