Should absentee ballots be illegal?

Should absentee ballots be illegal?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should absentee ballots be illegal?

• Yes
    • No

Last week I recieved an letter that required me to simply log in and confirm some previous information in order to get my absentee ballot. It took 10 minutes and should be required by all states for each election, it is not fully secure but at least a voter would have to verify something.

Received post card today that the polling station I've used over 30 years a half block from where I live is closed for the June 23 primary. 

I expected that so have a absentee ballot for the primary and should receive one for the general. If covid 19 is spreading in Nov a lot of polling stations will be closed and could cause chaos with that election across the country. 

I'm in the high risk category and a lot of others are also who want to vote safely.

PLANTING THE SEEDS FOR A RICH HARVEST OF ILLEGITIMATE BALLOTS: 

Former Top Michigan Elections Official Slams Mass Mail-In Vote.

Former Republican secretary of state Ruth Johnson said her successor, Democrat Jocelyn Benson, may have made an “illegal” decision that “threatens the integrity of elections” by ordering state officials to distribute millions of mail-in ballot applications. Benson’s decision contradicted legal precedent and the secretary of state’s own election manual, which mandates that “clerks may not mail absentee voter applications without having received a verbal or written request,” according to Johnson.

“For decades, getting applications to voters has been the job of local clerks. What Benson is doing is possibly illegal—I think it is,” Johnson told the Washington Free Beacon. “It oversteps and threatens the integrity of our elections.”

Just because the cheating is brazen doesn’t mean it won’t work.

• Thank you (+1) 1

NO, MAIL-IN VOTING IS NOT THE SAME AS ABSENTEE BALLOT VOTING: 

Rep. Rodney Davis (R-IL) is the Ranking Minority Member of the House Administration Committee, which oversees the daily operations of the lower chamber of Congress and oversight of federal elections. He’s been an aggressive battler of the Democrats’ mail-in voting proposals and their proxy voting system for House members.

In the following video, Davis talks with Washington state Secretary of State Kim Wyman, who, among much else, explains why and how Nancy Pelosi’s mail-in voting proposal is a far cry from using an absentee ballot.

The difference is subtle but profoundly important, according to Wyman, who oversees her state’s mail-in system, which, Oh-By-The-Way, requires voter ID to vote.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Getting back to the original question, the answer is "when required".

If you are out of town on business/vacation, in the hospital, deployed, etc then yes an absentee ballot should be provided.

If you are too lazy to go to the polls, then no they should not be allowed.  There is too much potential fraud.  In a local school board election there was a person who would go get ballots for all the shut-ins in the name of civic duty.  They all came back with the votes for the candidate that she preferred.  A small but real example.

I am intrigued by electronic voting if is can be made fail safed.  When I clean my PC I often have to get re-validated with a text/email linked to the account.  A system like that would solve the front end fraud issue potentially but not the back end where the counts are changed by hacking the system.  So until this can be fixed and 100% protected, no on electronic voting.

• Thank you (+1) 2

It's 42 to 11 because, most people (myself included) want Absentee ballots to be available to those who qualify for them.

But, since you are gutless, your poll didn't reflect what the real argument is about.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, B-Man said:

But, since you are gutless, your poll didn't reflect what the real argument is about.

But the poll does reflect what the argument is about - see the first post. It would be better to start your own thread on the dangers of mail in voting to make your point.

HOW THE DEMOCRATS COLLUDE TO ENABLE VOTER FRAUD

One of the most pernicious phenomena of modern times is the collusive lawsuit. This is how it works: a left-wing organization sues a government agency that is also controlled by the left. The lawsuit alleges that the agency is obliged to do something that the agency would like to do, but the Democrats can’t get it passed. Then the parties–supposedly adverse, but actually in collusion–“settle” the case by having the agency agree to do what it wanted to do all along. If all goes well, a court enters an order enforcing the settlement. So the net effect is that a policy that the Democrats couldn’t get passed is now a court-ordered mandate. This happens often.

In Minnesota, Democrats are colluding to enable voter fraud in the upcoming primary election. This presumably is a warmup for the same effort they will make to enable fraud in the general election in November. With many believing that President Trump has a good chance to carry Minnesota after coming close last time, the Democrats are taking no chances.

The case is League of Women Voters v. Simon. The League of Women Voters, a solidly Democratic organization, is “suing” Minnesota’s Secretary of State, left-wing activist Steve Simon. The lawsuit seeks to suspend Minnesota’s election laws, ostensibly on account of COVID-19, so that persons mailing in absentee ballots won’t need to satisfy the statutory requirement of a witness to verify their identity. Without that requirement, voter fraud will be even easier than it is at present. If a Democrat finds a ballot lying around, as will happen many thousands of times in Minnesota, where the voter rolls include hundreds of thousands of names that are dead or otherwise not eligible voters, he can fill it out and send it in, no questions asked.

Democratic Secretary of State Steve Simon, who consistently abuses his office to facilitate voter fraud, quickly agreed to the “settlement” that his party wanted.

If you think this is a scandal, you are right. Happily, the Trump presidential campaign and Minnesota’s Republican Party hired excellent lawyers to intervene in the case and seek to block the proposed “settlement.” I have embedded their Opposition to the Proposed Consent Decree below. Here are a few quotes that demonstrate how the Democrats tried to achieve an illegal result by “settling” a collusive lawsuit.

This voter fraud effort is part of a nationwide campaign:

Democrats now contend that, in light of COVID-19, their legislative agenda is required by the Constitution. The Democratic Party (through its law firm, Perkins Coie) has filed COVID-19 lawsuits in virtually every swing State, including Minnesota. See Where We’re Litigating, Democracy Docket, bit.ly/2V0rF7k. Allied groups have bolstered the Democrats’ effort by filing dozens of copycat suits across the country. For example, the League of Women Voters brought this suit in federal court, while the Alliance for Retired Americans (backed by the Democratic Party) and the NAACP (backed by the ACLU) brought overlapping lawsuits in state court.

The good news: “When these COVID-19 lawsuits face adversarial litigation, they usually fail.” Many citations at the link. This is why a collusive “settlement” is the easiest path to voter fraud.

In this case, the fraudulence of the “settlement” is obvious:

Defendant [the Secretary of State] filed an answer on June 9, 2020. Doc. 22. In it, he denied all Plaintiffs’ material allegations. Doc. 22 ¶¶7, 12, 62, 65, 80, 81, 87, 95, 100, 102, 109, 111. He also denied that heightened scrutiny applied to the witness requirement and argued that the requirement would survive any level of judicial scrutiny. [The cases cited by Intervenors indicate that this is clearly correct.] Doc. 22 ¶¶106, 107. And he asserted that Plaintiffs failed to state a claim upon which relief could be granted. Doc. 22 at 40.

All of which were sound legal arguments, as the many cases cited in the Intervenors’ brief show. But the Secretary of State gave away the store, on purpose:

At some point in the next seven days, Defendant made a sharp U-turn. On June 16, the parties jointly submitted a proposed consent decree to the Court. Under that decree, Defendant would totally refrain from enforcing the witness requirement and concede to all four kinds of relief that Plaintiffs sought for the August primary. Doc. 24 at 6. Further, Defendant would concede that “Plaintiffs made a sufficiently strong showing on the merits of the claim”—a position directly contrary to the one he took in his answer a week earlier. Doc. 24 ¶20.

In short, Minnesota’s Democratic Secretary of State colluded with a Democratic plaintiff to rewrite Minnesota’s election laws to facilitate voter fraud for the benefit of the Democratic Party.

MORE AT THE LINK:

I must say, I didn't not have "mail truck catches on fire" as a reason to not allow mail in voting.

USPS truck caught fire in New Jersey carrying possible mail-in ballots: report

</snip>

The Morris County Clerk’s office reportedly posted an “urgent notice” to voters living in the area, and posted addresses mail was being delivered to, advising any registered Democrat, Republican, or unaffiliated voters who did not receive a vote-by-mail ballot to contact the clerk’s office.

New Jersey’s primary election is slated for July 7, after being postponed from its original date of June 2. The election will be mostly vote-by-mail due to the coronavirus pandemic. New Jersey officials, though, told NJ.com that all 21 counties in the state will offer some in-person polling places.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

That explains why I don't like you, eh?

That's an interesting surprise.  I had figured it was because you're a moderately-educated, angry, incel lowlife of meager personal success who finds validation in life not through his own accomplishments but through his Trump fandom.