There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wait a minute! I only have to pay $39 to have a seat open next to me? Finally, some good news! Can I put my bag in the seat and avoid the baggage charge? Now THAT would be the icing on the cake!

Can't put it on the seat next to you, but it now fits on the floor under the seat in front of your empty $39 seat.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Can't put it on the seat next to you, but it now fits on the floor under the seat in front of your empty $39 seat.

While we’re at it....Can I pay extra to have a cute chick sit next to me instead of the fat sweaty slob I’m typically stuck with? 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

While we’re at it....Can I pay extra to have a cute chick sit next to me instead of the fat sweaty slob I’m typically stuck with? 

Pretty sure pipe dreams are at the next window.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Dude, it was Southwest and open seating. You chose to sit next to me. That was ***** creepy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Probably, you just can't pay the airline for that.  You'd have to cut a deal at the gate before boarding with your preferred seat mate. 

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

How many of these is it going to take ? These people cant just "stay and work at home " 

https://www.richmond.com/business/henrico-printing-plant-closing-permanently-laying-off-184-workers/article_f4018654-df54-5349-800f-34e39ed2d427.html

Tragic for those affected. This whole thing will accelerate the changes in the economy, so there will be a big shift in the economy that will hurt a lot of people 

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Good for this woman.  Happy to see people taking a stand and taking direction from themselves rather than no nothing judges and bureaucrats.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Trump executive order didn't stop meat plant closures. Seven more shut in the past week.

The meat slaughtering and processing industry is among the hardest hit by the pandemic. At least 167 plants have had outbreaks, sickening at least 9,400 people, primarily workers. At least 45 workers have died, according to the media outlets’ tracking.

More such closures are anticipated. Tyson Foods, one of the largest U.S. meatpacking companies, announced Monday it expected to shut additional plants because of low staffing and “choices we make to ensure operational safety,” according to its quarterly earning report.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/05/05/coronavirus-closes-meatpacking-plants-despite-trump-executive-order/5172526002/

3 USDA meat inspectors dead, about 145 diagnosed with COVID-19

Despite the close contact with other workers, the USDA has not provided personal protective equipment (PPE) to inspectors. The department is still working to "identify PPE needs in the food supply chain," the USDA spokesperson said Monday.

Instead, the USDA has offered a $50 stipend for inspectors to buy face coverings or the materials to make them, according to an FSIS notice issued in early April. It cited increased demand and limited supplies of commercial face coverings as the reason for the one-time reimbursement.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-usda-meat-inspectors-3-dead-covid-19/

Smithfield Foods, Inc., is a meat-processing company based in Smithfield, Virginia, in the United States, and a wholly owned subsidiary of WH Group of China. Founded in 1936 as the Smithfield Packing Company by Joseph W. Luter and his son, the company is the largest pig and pork producer in the world.

• Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

Trump executive order didn't stop meat plant closures.

The Order didn't force them to stay open so of course they are closing. People are getting sick in droves. 

It will take a few weeks for this to get back up and running. We will enjoy some vegetarian cooking for a while and look forward to full shelves again in the future. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-delegating-authority-dpa-respect-food-supply-chain-resources-national-emergency-caused-outbreak-covid-19/

9 minutes ago, ALF said:

Trump executive order didn't stop meat plant closures. Seven more shut in the past week.

The meat slaughtering and processing industry is among the hardest hit by the pandemic. At least 167 plants have had outbreaks, sickening at least 9,400 people, primarily workers. At least 45 workers have died, according to the media outlets’ tracking.

More such closures are anticipated. Tyson Foods, one of the largest U.S. meatpacking companies, announced Monday it expected to shut additional plants because of low staffing and “choices we make to ensure operational safety,” according to its quarterly earning report.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/05/05/coronavirus-closes-meatpacking-plants-despite-trump-executive-order/5172526002/

3 USDA meat inspectors dead, about 145 diagnosed with COVID-19

Despite the close contact with other workers, the USDA has not provided personal protective equipment (PPE) to inspectors. The department is still working to "identify PPE needs in the food supply chain," the USDA spokesperson said Monday.

Instead, the USDA has offered a $50 stipend for inspectors to buy face coverings or the materials to make them, according to an FSIS notice issued in early April. It cited increased demand and limited supplies of commercial face coverings as the reason for the one-time reimbursement.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-usda-meat-inspectors-3-dead-covid-19/

Smithfield Foods, Inc., is a meat-processing company based in Smithfield, Virginia, in the United States, and a wholly owned subsidiary of WH Group of China. Founded in 1936 as the Smithfield Packing Company by Joseph W. Luter and his son, the company is the largest pig and pork producer in the world.

My mom rents out her land for cattle grazing. The guy doing the renting just cleared out all his cattle, maybe fifty of them, all gone. We figure he was chasing high prices in the market now for the area. 

This situation agains shows why the shutdown is logical.

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Tragic for those affected. This whole thing will accelerate the changes in the economy, so there will be a big shift in the economy that will hurt a lot of people 

Very tragic indeed, and some very hard discussions need to be had about the greater good with regards to lockdowns and opening up the economy. Unfortunately, we live in a time where any discussion of opening and ackowledging , that yes , that will mean additional deaths paints one as death monger only worried about net worth.

And yes it sounds crass, but for the most part we are talking about cratering the economy to extend the life by a month or  year of people already at an end of life cycle. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Very tragic indeed, and some very hard discussions need to be had about the greater good with regards to lockdowns and opening up the economy. Unfortunately, we live in a time where any discussion of opening and ackowledging , that yes , that will mean additional deaths paints one as death monger only worried about net worth.

And yes it sounds crass, but for the most part we are talking about cratering the economy to extend the life by a month or  year of people already at an end of life cycle. 

Well, opening likely means more COVID deaths, but how many other stress related deaths does it prevent?  How many people won't end up starving because the food supply chain won't have completely broken down?  And how many people won't end up victims of crimes committed out of desperation? 

There's a lot more angles/layers to this than people want to acknowledge.  Wonder how many politicians that are wresting with these decisions are now questioning whether the graft they get in good times are worth it?

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

For NYS anyway, less than half the deaths were from those 74 and over. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dubs said:

or, 72.3% of deaths were from people over 65.

also, 4.54% of deaths were people 44 or younger.

Just to provide some more context.

All of which should trouble the pro-life people. I'm sure they want the lock down to save as many people as possible