Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LabattBlue

Would you continue to go to PT?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Going to PT twice a week(rehab of broken upper arm) and not sure if I should continue, or temporarily stop and just do exercises at home?

 

What would you do?

Edited by LabattBlue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are under 60 and have no underlying health issues I would go for sure.  60-70 depends on health.  Over 70, nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Going to PT twice a week(rehab of broken upper arm) and not sure if I should continue, or temporarily stop and just do exercises at home?

 

What would you do?

Stay home as much as possible. Go out for essential needs only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it depends.  When I had to do PT for my broken femur the place was always empty and every surface we used got sprayed and wiped down.  Probably pretty safe, though staying home as much as possible is the safest route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you in any of the the higher risk categories? Are any of your family members you have a lot of contact with? 

 

 

Personally, I’m trying to stay home as much as possible right now. It’s not just the elderly being hospitalized by this virus. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teef said:

are they still open?

Yep.  Went yesterday, and while the staff was wiping down everything like crazy, that doesn't help with anything airborne.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mark80 said:

If you are under 60 and have no underlying health issues I would go for sure.  60-70 depends on health.  Over 70, nope.

 

No, he should not go. The end. 

 

They are closing wherever you are and if you seriously need the PT, they will help remotely as best they can. 

Edited by Sundancer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

 

No, he should not go. The end. 

 

They are closing wherever you are and if you seriously need the PT, they will help remotely as best they can. 

Just feed into the panic.  Cool.  Remember H1N1?  12,000 deaths, 60M infected in US alone.  There was not panic.  There were no empty shelves.  There were little shut downs.  And guess what?  People didnt lose their businesses.  We didnt have lower the fed rate to 0%.  People didnt lose 33% of their invested savings and retirement plans (that was the housing bubble).  Obama didnt do squat and no one cared.  


Death rates are exaggerated right now since they only account for confirmed cases, not people showing little or no symptoms who do not get confirmed.

 

Again, if you are part of the vulnerable population or live with them, skip it.  Otherwise, dont feed the panic beast.  Wash your hands.  Avoid touching your face.  You will be fine.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They just shut down at least for a week, probably longer, beginning tomorrow.  Problem solved.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mark80 said:

If you are under 60 and have no underlying health issues I would go for sure.  60-70 depends on health.  Over 70, nope.

Lol, my brother is 71 looks 55.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

They just shut down at least for a week, probably longer, beginning tomorrow.  Problem solved.

Wait a minute!  We went from exercising at home to problem solved??  Did we miss the miracle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Wait a minute!  We went from exercising at home to problem solved??  Did we miss the miracle?

Business is shutdown for at least a week.  My choice of whether to keep going for the time being has been made for me.   Exercise at home it is.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My 92 year old mother has an eye appointment next week regarding a bad situation with macular degeneration. (One eye going from dry to wet version, I think.) I’m not sure how to advise her. The eye problem is very serious. So is taking a 92 year old out to mingle in waiting rooms and getting handled by all kinds of people. 

 

Anyone know how urgent the eye part can be? What to do? 

 

I’ll have her call the regular eye doctor for suggestions before I take her anywhere. 

 

EDIT: Oh, and I’m glad to hear the PT office is closed. You have the exercises to do, so that seems like the best course of action at this point. 

 

 

.

Edited by Augie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Just feed into the panic.  Cool.  Remember H1N1?  12,000 deaths, 60M infected in US alone.  There was not panic.  There were no empty shelves.  There were little shut downs.  And guess what?  People didnt lose their businesses.  We didnt have lower the fed rate to 0%.  People didnt lose 33% of their invested savings and retirement plans (that was the housing bubble).  Obama didnt do squat and no one cared.  


Death rates are exaggerated right now since they only account for confirmed cases, not people showing little or no symptoms who do not get confirmed.

 

Again, if you are part of the vulnerable population or live with them, skip it.  Otherwise, dont feed the panic beast.  Wash your hands.  Avoid touching your face.  You will be fine.

 

Please don't listen to this guy. ^^^^^^^^^^^

 

This isn't an H1N1 flu. It's much more contagious and requires much more treatment. If you don't believe me, see Italy. If you don't believe the real world example, go read the CDC materials, or find what the majority of health care professionals are saying. 

 

Spreading the disease is the problem with going out and being around groups of people. A PT appointment is where many of the most vulnerable people will be. If you carry it in, they will get it. If you don't, you may get it there due to so many touched surfaces and throughput of bodies.

 

 The idea behind distancing is to slow the spread so our hospitals don't get swamped. It's already too late but maybe we can get ahead of it a little. 

 

I am not hoarding. I'm not panicking. I'm not worried that I'll catch this and die. If I do, I do. But I'm trying to be sensible to my neighbors while I watch the economy. I assume at some point, we will all be released back into the wild so the economy doesn't completely crater and I hope we have cleared the worst of the bed-usage issues and lack of testing by then so we can resume some degree of normalcy.

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

My 92 year old mother has an eye appointment next week regarding a bad situation with macular degeneration. (One eye going from dry to wet version, I think.) I’m not sure how to advise her. The eye problem is very serious. So is taking a 92 year old out to mingle in waiting rooms and getting handled by all kinds of people. 

 

Anyone know how urgent the eye part can be? What to do? 

 

I’ll have her call the regular eye doctor for suggestions before I take her anywhere. 

 

EDIT: Oh, and I’m glad to hear the PT office is closed. You have the exercises to do, so that seems like the best course of action at this point. 

 

 

.

 

Call her doctor. They will give you better advice than you'll get on here. 

 

Edited by Sundancer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Going to PT twice a week(rehab of broken upper arm) and not sure if I should continue, or temporarily stop and just do exercises at home?

 

What would you do?

I must give the following disclaimer... even though I began work on Premed I am NOT a doctor. 

 

With that out of the way, if it were me, there's not much you can't do at home with exercises as well as hot and cold therapy. Some massages might be difficult yourself... I would stay home and do it myself but that's not because I'm afraid of getting sick. 

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

 

Please don't listen to this guy. ^^^^^^^^^^^

 

This isn't an H1N1 flu. It's much more contagious and requires much more treatment. If you don't believe me, see Italy. If you don't believe the real world example, go read the CDC materials, or find what the majority of health care professionals are saying. 

 

Spreading the disease is the problem with going out and being around groups of people. A PT appointment is where many of the most vulnerable people will be. If you carry it in, they will get it. If you don't, you may get it there due to so many touched surfaces and throughput of bodies.

 

 The idea behind distancing is to slow the spread so our hospitals don't get swamped. It's already too late but maybe we can get ahead of it a little. 

 

I am not hoarding. I'm not panicking. I'm not worried that I'll catch this and die. If I do, I do. But I'm trying to be sensible to my neighbors while I watch the economy. I assume at some point, we will all be released back into the wild so the economy doesn't completely crater and I hope we have cleared the worst of the bed-usage issues and lack of testing by then so we can resume some degree of normalcy.

 

Call her doctor. They will give you better advice than you'll get on here. 

 

I love how eveybody always try to discredit people's opinions by saying "don't listen to them, they aren't a doctor" while giving their full opinion of the situation while also proceeding not to be a doctor... But they think their opinion is validated due to the inevitable statement: "Call your doctor"

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Augie said:

My 92 year old mother has an eye appointment next week regarding a bad situation with macular degeneration. (One eye going from dry to wet version, I think.) I’m not sure how to advise her. The eye problem is very serious. So is taking a 92 year old out to mingle in waiting rooms and getting handled by all kinds of people. 

 

Anyone know how urgent the eye part can be? What to do? 

 

I’ll have her call the regular eye doctor for suggestions before I take her anywhere. 

 

EDIT: Oh, and I’m glad to hear the PT office is closed. You have the exercises to do, so that seems like the best course of action at this point. 

 

 

.

Once again not a Dr. here Augie... but in my opinion, Macular Degeneration isn't a sudden and spontaneous occurance. The wet is bothersome, but I don't see it as a lifethreatening issue. Is she a smoker? At 92 years old I would bet no, but I have seen it haha. 

 

If it were my mother I'd see if under the cirumstances we could skip the waiting room and go straight to the Dr. If they wouldn't make an exception piss on 'em, I'd wait it out.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Once again not a Dr. here Augie... but in my opinion, Macular Degeneration isn't a sudden and spontaneous occurance. The wet is bothersome, but I don't see it as a lifethreatening issue. Is she a smoker? At 92 years old I would bet no, but I have seen it haha. 

 

If it were my mother I'd see if under the cirumstances we could skip the waiting room and go straight to the Dr. If they wouldn't make an exception piss on 'em, I'd wait it out.

 

She smoked when I was young, but quit many decades ago. Is there a connection? I haven’t really looked into the disease much. She’s not in a huge hurry because one of the things that might have to happen is shots directly into her eyeball! 😱

 

But....you have to take care of your sight. Again, I’ll probably have her call the primary eye care and ask how urgent this is, and might it be wise to delay?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...