Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Shutting down and enacting strict social distancing protocols and protections is the ONLY reason we’ve been able to flatten the curve. Period. 

An alarming statistic made by Cuomo during one of his recent briefings is that we have 925,000 hospital beds in the US. Total. If we hadn’t enacted the mitigation measures, it would EASILY have been overwhelmed. That’s concerning going forward. 

Hidden in that number is that while most areas on either coast have decent hospital bed capacity, there are large swathes of "flyover country" (eg where I live) that have no hospital, or one small hospital with no ICU, for large swathes of country.  The explicit plan is to Medivac seriously ill patients to the nearest city - Good Luck With That if the city is overwhelmed.

https://www.businessinsider.com/santa-clara-county-california-confirms-february-coronavirus-death-first-us-2020-4

‘California says a person who died February 6 had COVID-19, suggesting the first US coronavirus death happened at least 3 weeks earlier than previously thought’

1st coronavirus death in the US was originally thought to be on Feb. 28th in Washington state.

Edited by BillsFan4

40 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Shutting down and enacting strict social distancing protocols and protections is the ONLY reason we’ve been able to flatten the curve. Period. 

An alarming statistic made by Cuomo during one of his recent briefings is that we have 925,000 hospital beds in the US. Total. If we hadn’t enacted the mitigation measures, it would EASILY have been overwhelmed. That’s concerning going forward. 

The social distancing protocols and protections are the standard approach to fighting these contagious viruses not only in America but in the world. And what we do know is that this approach works. (As you noted.) What's scary is that the level of ignorance in basic science is so pervasive. How do you fight a frightening scourge when you have to waste so much time and effort dealing with misguided people who are contributing to the spreading of this plague? When the person at the podium makes no sense and sends confusing messages then the resistance to common sense shouldn't be surprising. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hidden in that number is that while most areas on either coast have decent hospital bed capacity, there are large swathes of "flyover country" (eg where I live) that have no hospital, or one small hospital with no ICU, for large swathes of country.  The explicit plan is to Medivac seriously ill patients to the nearest city - Good Luck With That if the city is overwhelmed.

It’s a logistical nightmare even if city hospitals aren’t overwhelmed. What’s happened to rural hospitals is a disgrace.

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The social distancing protocols and protections are the standard approach to fighting these contagious viruses not only in America but in the world. And what we do know is that this approach works. (As you noted.) What's scary is that the level of ignorance in basic science is so pervasive. How do you fight a frightening scourge when you have to waste so much time and effort dealing with misguided people who are contributing to the spreading of this plague? When the person at the podium makes no sense and sends confusing messages then the resistance to common sense shouldn't be surprising. 

Welcome to the age of science denial. Combined with the advent of lay people knowing more than the experts, regardless of discipline, it’s a perfect storm for catastrophe. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So did Kemp explain?  And what was his explanation?

Apparently he’s ducking it. I’ve watched more local news in the last 24 hours than I have in the last year. I saw one tease where he said he’s gotten plenty of praise, and plenty of criticism. Few are praising, including his mayors, but never saw him answer this question: How do you explain opening the businesses that create direct exposure/personal contact for extended periods (often an hour or more) of time that have only minimal effect on the economy while leaving relatively safe, minimal contact in and out with no touching retail businesses, the core of our economy,  closed? 

I don’t blame him for hiding from that question.  I do blame the local media for not jumping all over that on the spot when Kemp came out with his announcement. 

I’m honestly astonished by this, but am trying to stay with PG language. I’m furious with this ignorance. 

It’s one thing to open up too soon, it’s another thing to do it in such a stupid fashion. Fortunately many local businesses are flipping him the middle digit. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
inappropriate language

17 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

He did say cities can't overrule his order with stricter policies. 

What on earth is the point of this?  It strains credulity that this is in any way about public health or safety in Georgia.  Atlanta is not ready!

Our governor here in MO, Parsons, was similarly late with a state-wide order, and has said the state-wide stay at home order will end May 3, which some feel is early.  But Parsons has made it very clear that counties and cities can not enact looser regulations, and where appropriate, some counties and cities can choose to maintain stricter regulations.  It really does make sense - much of Missouri is rural and if they look carefully at their cases and decide they are a localized cluster such as a care home, they have tested employees and contacts and isolated, maybe they're ready, especially if they prohibit travelers from outside the county. 

But why require a city to open when it clearly isn't ready, in terms of case count, hospital capacity, or testing capacity?

image.thumb.png.3bcee3b10beeeb7b52c728106092a885.png

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What on earth is the point of this?  It strains credulity that this is in any way about public health or safety in Georgia.  Atlanta is not ready!

Our governor here in MO, Parsons, was similarly late with a state-wide order, and has said the state-wide stay at home order will end May 3, which some feel is early.  But Parsons has made it very clear that counties and cities can not enact looser regulations, and where appropriate, some counties and cities can choose to maintain stricter regulations.  It really does make sense - much of Missouri is rural and if they look carefully at their cases and decide they are a localized cluster such as a care home, they have tested employees and contacts and isolated, maybe they're ready, especially if they prohibit travelers from outside the county. 

But why require a city to open when it clearly isn't ready, in terms of case count, hospital capacity, or testing capacity?

image.thumb.png.3bcee3b10beeeb7b52c728106092a885.png

The good news? Many of the business owners and employees are smarter than the Governor......they refuse to open based upon what I have seen so far. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

The good news? Many of the business owners and employees are smarter than the Governor......they refuse to open based upon what I have seen so far. 

Its pretty bad when businesses are smarter then the guy in charge. 

21 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its pretty bad when businesses are smarter than the guy in charge. 

Agreed, but in some strange way it’s also oddly encouraging. 

It makes me feel better about the people around me, if not the leader. 

Try to find the good in anything, and life starts looking better.    :)

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
inappropriate language
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Got gas yesterday and realized the attendant at the gas station appeared to be wearing an N95 mask. So I asked him about it and he said yes, my Dad got me this mask and wanted me to wear it. I thought to myself If only all of us had someone to hand us a mask that really works. The world would be a safer place. I know I personally felt much safer getting my gas. (despite wearing a regular dust mask)

If everyone in the US could wear an N95 mask for one month we could stop Covid 19 in its tracks IMO. 

Edited by Figster

58 minutes ago, Figster said:

Got gas yesterday and realized the attendant at the gas station appeared to be wearing an N95 mask. So I asked him about it and he said yes, my Dad got me this mask and wanted me to wear it. I thought to myself If only all of us had someone to hand us a mask that really works. The world would be a safer place. I know I personally felt much safer getting my gas. (despite wearing a regular dust mask)

If everyone in the US could wear an N95 mask for one month we could stop Covid 19 in its tracks IMO. 

That is assuming they wore them properly and did not touch something and get it another way.

Back in January I scoured stores looking for n95 for my brother-in-law who works in a hospital.

Took me over a week but I got a box and mailed them to him. 

Took a month to clear customs to him. I was convinced someone in customs took them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/santa-clara-county-california-confirms-february-coronavirus-death-first-us-2020-4

‘California says a person who died February 6 had COVID-19, suggesting the first US coronavirus death happened at least 3 weeks earlier than previously thought’

1st coronavirus death in the US was originally thought to be on Feb. 28th in Washington state.

It's going to continue to get earlier and earlier.  It's just illogical to think that if it was in China in November that it stayed there.  The world is all connected.

Edited by Back2Buff

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Particulate-Respirator-Self-Priming-Anti-particulate/dp/B086LJVD2P/ref=sr_1_1

So I ordered these today and just wanted to share in case anyone else was interested. Last night you got 10 for the same price. Today you get 4. But whatever, it is what it is.

They are KN95 masks. It’s the Chinese version of the n95 mask. This is the only 95% filtration mask I could find online that was actually available for purchase.

If you do order, make sure you pick someone that’s shipping soon. There are a number of different sellers. Mine are coming between apr. 30th - May 5th. Some sellers aren’t shipping until mid May- mid June.

[Edit: just a note some have commented that some masks from sellers in China have been found to be decontaminated used masks.  Buy at your own risk]