Trade back into the first

whorlnut

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you read my posts I’ve said that I have no issue (at all) trading up for a top 3 WR. I don’t want to use next year’s 1 but I’m fine using the 2 and another pick to get one of them.

Next year's 1st might be mandatory to get one of the top 3. If we have to trade up to 14 I think this year's 2nd would get it done. But if we have to trade up to, say, 10 then next year's 1st will probably need to be included. I'm saying I would be okay with that for one of the top 3. I'll openly admit my draft crush is Lamb and I'm thinking of him more than Jeudy or Ruggs when I say this, but for any of those 3 I'd accept the sacrifice.

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

This is all spot on.  A deep WR draft means that there are a lot of players with a Robert Woods-type ceiling. Fine players, but not game-breakers.

We don't need fine players as much as we need game-breakers. We need a guy that BB is gonna make Gilmore shadow all game. A guy where the safety is rolling over every time he goes deep. That's how you get Josh the 1 on 1's that are easy to spot for first downs.

Then take that guy at 22.  

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

What is going on?  Bills fans sweat the cap now more than ever and we are in the best cap situation at the best time in NFL. It's bizarre.  

Our cap is fine.  We will re-sign Tre, Allen and Edmunds COMFORTABLY.

What's left over after re-signing them COMFORTABLY?

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Not when you have to re-sign your own.

We have no issues there either though. The rising cap works for everyone. What’s an “overpayment” today may be a bargain in 2 years. The cap grows like $10M a year. $15M for a good (not great) starting CB won’t be bad value at all with a $230M cap in 3 years. That’s the point. That’s what the smart teams have realized. That’s why there’s no such thing as “cap problems.” You just keep pushing the money later knowing that the cap will grow. 

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

'"Robert Woods isn't worth that kind of money the Rams gave him"

He has the 27th highest WR cap hit in the NFL now. 

EXACTLY!!

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Next year's 1st might be mandatory to get one of the top 3. If we have to trade up to 14 I think this year's 2nd would get it done. But if we have to trade up to, say, 10 then next year's 1st will probably need to be included. I'm saying I would be okay with that for one of the top 3. I'll openly admit my draft crush is Lamb and I'm thinking of him more than Jeudy or Ruggs when I say this, but for any of those 3 I'd accept the sacrifice.

Then I guess we disagree on that. This year I’d love one of those 3. I’m not moving up to a spot that will require next year’s first to do it. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We have no issues there either though. The rising cap works for everyone. What’s an “overpayment” today may be a bargain in 2 years. The cap grows like $10M a year. $15M for a good (not great) starting CB won’t be bad value at all with a $230M cap in 3 years. That’s the point. That’s what the smart teams have realized. That’s why there’s no such thing as “cap problems.” You just keep pushing the money later knowing that the cap will grow. 

EXACTLY!!

My problem is that average players get 15 mill, above average get 20 mill and the stars get....... who the frig knows.

The money pit has to end somewhere.

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don't care what kind of cap room they have, do you wanna pay average players like James Bradberry 15 mill a year? Cause that is what these players are demanding.

Winning > cap space

Ask the Chiefs how upset they are that they paid a combined $36M/year for Frank Clark and Sammy Watkins in FA and didn’t have a first round pick last year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Millions and millions my friend. The only two rules in the NFL is that there will always be more cap to spend and more draft picks to use.

I hope you are right.

But, like I said, the money pit has to run out somewhere.

If it doesn't, then everything I have said is bullschiff. ?

Just now, njbuff said:

I hope you are right.

But, like I said, the money pit has to run out somewhere.

If it doesn't, then everything I have said is bullschiff. ?

If your biggest problem is having so many star players you’re concerned about paying them all, you’re in your Super Bowl window and it’s a good problem to have.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

My problem is that average players get 15 mill, above average get 20 mill and the stars get....... who the frig knows.

The money pit has to end somewhere.

It isn’t though. This is more true than ever with 2 extra playoff games and a 17 game schedule. It’s the EXACT opposite in fact. The players salaries are a percentage of league wide revenue. The new CBA gives them a higher percentage than they currently get (cap grows) and the extra games create even more revenue (cap grows again). You can’t look at a number that might feel high you have to look at it in relation to the cap. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I could see this as something Beane might be willing to do

Yes. Beane is willing to trade back further up into the first. He's also equally willing to stand-pat.

Beane is a enigma wrapped in a riddle. He will do what best addresses the board as he sees it, he's a value player.

There will be no Sammy Watkins type trades this draft. You heard it here 101st.

1 minute ago, boater said:

Yes. Beane is willing to trade back further up into the first. He's also equally willing to stand-pat.

Beane is a enigma wrapped in a riddle. He will do what best addresses the board as he sees it, he's a value player.

There will be no Sammy Watkins type trades this draft. You heard it here 101st.

Never did I say we needed to do anything to that extreme...

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I was talking to another poster about this idea last night and I could see this as something Beane might be willing to do. 

With the way this team is built and the AFC East finally appearing to be up for grabs, Beane might view this roster being a few players away to win now. Here’s my idea...what if we took the top DE or OT on the board at 22 and trade next year’s first and one of the extra 5ths this year to get back in the bottom of round 1?  At that point, we could take either DE or OT (whichever we didn’t address at 22) or WR (whichever one starts to fall). We would then still have our original picks minus the extra 5th. 

Beane can realistically look at this team as being highly competitive next year and having a low first anyways. It’s not like we should be giving up a top half of the draft first rounder.  We could get two guys this year who we can control for 5 years at positions of need. 

We have enough draft capital to trade back in without giving up next years first.