Trade back into the first

whorlnut

I was talking to another poster about this idea last night and I could see this as something Beane might be willing to do. 

With the way this team is built and the AFC East finally appearing to be up for grabs, Beane might view this roster being a few players away to win now. Here’s my idea...what if we took the top DE or OT on the board at 22 and trade next year’s first and one of the extra 5ths this year to get back in the bottom of round 1?  At that point, we could take either DE or OT (whichever we didn’t address at 22) or WR (whichever one starts to fall). We would then still have our original picks minus the extra 5th. 

Beane can realistically look at this team as being highly competitive next year and having a low first anyways. It’s not like we should be giving up a top half of the draft first rounder.  We could get two guys this year who we can control for 5 years at positions of need. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Trade next year's 1st to get back into "the bottom" of the 1st this year? 

"hear me out"....nah

They do this all the time. Why does this seem like such a crazy idea to you?

It would either cost our 2nd and something or a first next year and something 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mikemac2001 said:

They do this all the time. Why does this seem like such a crazy idea to you?

It would either cost our 2nd and something or a first next year and something 

Exactly. Lots of teams do this and it is the difference between going for it this year or waiting another year. It’s not outside the realm of possibility. 

I’m not sure why people are so terrified about giving up a future first if we are ready to win now. I’m sure the Steelers aren’t upset about giving this year’s up to get Minkah Fitzpatrick. 

Nah. I’m good. 

I hate trading up for anyone who isn’t a QB- especially where next years assets are involved. 

That being said, it doesn’t even make sense in this context because of the positional breakdown you’re suggesting. 

Say we trade back into the first somewhere between 29-32. The players we could take there are not that much better than ones we could get at 54, or with a slight trade up from there. There’s 3 top tier edge rushers, and maybe 5 top tier tackles (depending on who you ask). They’ll likely all be gone before 22, let alone 30.

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, whatdrought said:

Nah. I’m good. 

I hate trading up for anyone who isn’t a QB- especially where next years assets are involved. 

That being said, it doesn’t even make sense in this context because of the positional breakdown you’re suggesting. 

Say we trade back into the first somewhere between 29-32. The players we could take there are not that much better than ones we could get at 54, or with a slight trade up from there. There’s 3 top tier edge rushers, and maybe 5 top tier tackles (depending on who you ask). They’ll likely all be gone before 22, let alone 30.

I think it’s silly to worry about a future pick when we might be able to take the division this year. I’m not sure why people are worried about that. 

And I completely disagree about talent. If someone like Justin Jefferson is there at 29-32, then you try to make the move.

Just now, NewEra said:

I promise it will cost more than next years first and a 5th

Fine.  But either way. 

It’s not that far from what the Ravens did in 2018 to move to the bottom of the first to get Lamar Jackson. They were in the 16 range and we are at 22. Anyone remember what the gave up?

I never like the idea of next year’s first. Things change quickly in the NFL. God forbid an injury to Josh and you might be dealing a top 5 pick a year from now for a swing at a WR that you may be able to get 20 picks after. I’m okay moving up for one of the top 3 WRs if the cost is right (2nd and a late pick). I’m not for trading next year’s 1st.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I never like the idea of next year’s first. Things change quickly in the NFL. God forbid an injury to Josh and you might be dealing a top 5 pick a year from now for a swing at a WR that you may be able to get 20 picks after. I’m okay moving up for one of the top 3 WRs if the cost is right (2nd and a late pick). I’m not for trading next year’s 1st.

This.

At least not for an unknown. Although I certainly can get behind using it in conjunction with other picks to trade for Mack or V. Miller. Juss sayin’..

• Like (+1) 1

Ok guys...I’ll try to make everyone feel “better”. Forget about the first next year. Let’s trade a combo of picks this year to get back into 1. I’m not about to sit at 54 (if I’m Beane) and hope a guy that I love falls. He’s shown the propensity to move up when someone is sticking out, so I think all the chips are on the table THIS year...

I'd honestly rather see them trade DOWN in the 1st round, possibly even out of the 1st round altogether.

It seems like the Seahawks -- and other teams that routinely pick in the 20s -- do this a lot. Trade down a few times, even out of the 1st round completely, and accumulate extra 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

The thing is, oftentimes in the draft there are only 15-20 prospects that teams grade as legitimate 1st round value. If that's the case, there's not much difference between having pick 22 and pick 35, other than the fifth year option on contracts.

If the Bills could trade down twice and accumulate an extra 2nd and a couple 3rd round picks, I'd rather do that.

Two 2nds
Three 3rds

They could then use their later round picks and the above mentioned picks to move around and select players they target in the 2nd through 4th rounds. That, to me, is where the value of this draft lies.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7

11 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Ok guys...I’ll try to make everyone feel “better”. Forget about the first next year. Let’s trade a combo of picks this year to get back into 1. I’m not about to sit at 54 (if I’m Beane) and hope a guy that I love falls. He’s shown the propensity to move up when someone is sticking out, so I think all the chips are on the table THIS year...

I could get behind this for sure. The Bills don’t have a lot of holes. I think this offseason is about quality and not quantity. They are going to target certain guys in FA and the draft that they think will make the difference. They will swing aggressively to add those guys. I use the top 3 WRs as an example but if one of them is there around 15, the Bills will be on the phone.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I could get behind this for sure. The Bills don’t have a lot of holes. I think this offseason is about quality and not quantity. They are going to target certain guys in FA and the draft that they think will make the difference. They will swing aggressively to add those guys. I use the top 3 WRs as an example but if one of them is there around 15, the Bills will be on the phone.

I understand your premise, but it’s not really what I’m suggesting. I think we should stay at 22 and then move back into the bottom of 1 to get someone they love if he starts to fall. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Will have to be earlier than 15, I cant see Den not taking a WR. Picks 13 and 14 would have to be the targets and they would have to want to slide back to 22; not necessarily an easy trade, but doable. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I understand your premise, but it’s not really what I’m suggesting. I think we should stay at 22 and then move back into the bottom of 1 to get someone they love if he starts to fall. 

By pick 22 it is very likely that bpa is a CB. Someone they love will be a top tier rd1 guy who slides out of the top 10. The value of the RD1 mid 20s on back is getting into the tier 2 guys, would be better to get up in rd 2. Seems like pushing players up the board, which is not what u want to do

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I know what you are suggesting. I don’t think that’s realistic. The tier of players doesn’t really move between 20 and 60 in this draft IMO. You aren’t going to trade to 30 to get Reagor (as an example) when you can get Ayiuk (as an example) with your 2nd. The gap isn’t there. I agree that with your premise that they will be aggressive but I don’t believe it will be like you suggest. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would prefer to keep it all in this draft, but depending on how UFA goes I would think about it. I really dont see Beane doing this

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Will have to be earlier than 15, I cant see Den not taking a WR. Picks 13 and 14 would have to be the targets and they would have to want to slide back to 22; not necessarily an easy trade, but doable. 

I agree. I was just using 15 as a round number. I think Tampa at 14 would be the realistic target of one of them gets past Indy. 

• Like (+1) 1