Tipster19

Would you give our 2020 1st rd pick to the Lions for Kenny Golliday?

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You know, you say you know what he said. But it's actually clear that you don't. He said "We probably won’t be spending at the deep end of the pool like we did last year (in free agency)," and you immediately assume that what he said implied that he in fact was going to be spending at the deep end of the pool in free agency. You hear what he said but because it differs from what you want you're not willing to believe it. Well, fine, you're clearly a smart guy but if you're not willing to u

You quote Beane saying, "he also said it’s up to them to find upgrades which means spending their available cap room on some very good FA’s." And you feel that him saying he needs to upgrade must mean spending on premium FAs only. Despite the numerous ways he's upgraded this team without ever bringing in a premium FA, and despite the fact that he had just said he wasn't going to do that?

Not much I can say to that. A guy so utterly bound by confirmation bias isn't going to listen to sense.

I took what he said as the Bills won't be signing nearly as many FAs as they did last year, because they don't need to..... with $91 million or so available cap dollars you honestly just expect them to sign more depth guys as opposed to starters in FA? Does that make any sense considering where the team currently stands? 

Beane can say whatever he wants to the media, but IMO they'll bring in at least a couple of new starters via FA.... those guys won't be bottom tier FAs. It just doesn't add up that a bottom to middle tier FA will be starting on this team next year. 

Where did I say “premium” FAs? I have said that they will bring in at least a few high quality FAs, examples being players like AJ Green and Mario Addison..... considering they were in on a trade for AJ Green why is this such a far fetched take to you?

Edited by ScottLaw

On 2/15/2020 at 6:24 PM, SoTier said:

When you give up a fortune in draft capital to move up to draft a first round QB, what higher "priorities" can there be than adding a WR when your team didn't have a single NFL starter caliber WR on the roster???? 

Oline on offense, and it wasn't even close.

19 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Oline on offense, and it wasn't even close.

That's a valid priority but Beane didn't prioritize the OL either until 2019. The OL in 2017 was below average but serviceable but then Wood was forced into retirement by injury.  That wasn't on McDermott or Beane.  However, the Bills got rid of Incognito, which may have been partly on McDermott/Beane but it's not clear because of Incognito's mental issues.  Then the Bills traded away their best OLer, LT Cordy Glenn, in order to move up in the first round of the draft.   That's a competent C, a Pro Bowl LG, and an above average LT missing from the OL.  The Bills replaced them with backups, bottom feeder career backups, and practice squad refugees.   In the draft, the Bills only got around to drafting an OLer toward the end of the fifth round, Wyatt Teller.  Teller was traded away to Cleveland for a pair of Day 3 draft picks at the end of the 2019 preseason rather than cutting him.

In 2018, the Bills essentially had no plan for offense at all much less any priority for offense except to make a big splash by drafting  a QB high in the first round.  In fact, I would argue that 2018 was essentially a reprise of the Bills "offensive" plan of 2013 when Brandon and Whaley drafted EJ Manuel in order to excite the fan base.  The difference was that there were actually QBs in the 2018 draft who were worth drafting in the first round. 

I Like Golladay but lets not give up a 1st for a WR

especially after watching the XFL... WR's are everywhere

you need to draft big men with 1st round picks

Golladay has had a catch percentage between 56% and 59% every year of his career.  His production is the result of volume rather than efficiency.  116 targets last year resulted in only 65 catches.  Compare that to Diggs who had 63 catches on only 94 targets.

Golladay's TD # this year was exceptional, but that's an outlier this far in his career.  That one start notwithstanding, there's nothing particularly special about him.  He's a lower tier #1.  Diggs is a much better player.

37 minutes ago, Billl said:

Golladay has had a catch percentage between 56% and 59% every year of his career.  His production is the result of volume rather than efficiency.  116 targets last year resulted in only 65 catches.  Compare that to Diggs who had 63 catches on only 94 targets.

Golladay's TD # this year was exceptional, but that's an outlier this far in his career.  That one start notwithstanding, there's nothing particularly special about him.  He's a lower tier #1.  Diggs is a much better player.

I agree w/the bolded but that's it. Stafford was injured this season and Golladay suffered but he has elite size/speed/strength combo and solid hands. He's a complete wideout imo, right near that top tier of guys and is a legit WR1 on most teams. 

IMO, the Bills desperately need a WR1 in 2020 and the chances of getting one in the draft who would be that from opening day is between slim and none.  At best, they could expect a WR taken #22 to eventually develop into a WR1.  Moreover, not only is the draft is much more a crapshoot than acquiring a top veteran, I'm an advocate of taking BPA over need.  I don't want to see the Bills take a WR with only second round talent at #22 because they need a WR and pass on a much better prospect at another position like OL, RB or DB.

Either trading for a WR like Golladay or Diggs or signing a top vet in FA works for me.  Acquire a top veteran WR and draft a promising one.  If the Bills are serious about building a perennial playoff contender, they have to put quality talent around their QB no matter who that QB is.  Look at what having top offensive talent did for both the Saints and the Chiefs when their starting QBs were injured and missed games early in the season.   

Of course we should, he has everything we need size and production. Just look at what lofton did for us in the 90's. Add a wideout like Reed in the draft, and a pass rusher in free agency and they can take the next step ro greatness. 

Edited by ScorpionZero